No idles r3v. I need help *video*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No idles r3v. I need help *video*

Car won't idle when warm. Idled rough before but idled. Sounded like a cammed muscle car.

Redid the timing and its pretty much perfect. Also replaced the valve cover gasket. Now it Idles perfect after a cold start. After about 7-10 minutes the idle will start to drop then die. Crank it up again, dies again in a couple seconds. Changed O2 sensor and still the same thing. I'm at a loss here. And the ICV is about a year old FYI.

now i just have turned the revs up to 1k and its fine. But annoying

***VIDEO***
    Last edited by kwill22; 04-08-2013, 02:11 PM.
    DENY IGNORANCE!
    Schwarz 325-totaled
    brilliantrot 318i-daily

Originally posted by mkcman17
    don't think your hamster wheels are fast now. you will still have to give up when trying to pass that V6 odyssey to make your offramp.

Also it never starts on the first try. It'll crank all day, then on the second try it cranks almost instantly. It will start though within maybe 5-10 minutes tops of turning it off though.
    DENY IGNORANCE!
    Schwarz 325-totaled
    brilliantrot 318i-daily

don't think your hamster wheels are fast now. you will still have to give up when trying to pass that V6 odyssey to make your offramp.

Comment

I would check the usual culprits:

Vacuum leak, especially intake boot
      TPS
      AFM

Comment

Ninja edit : whoops, never mind. Just saw this was in the M42 section.
        Originally posted by kronus
        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by vpilarrt View Post
          I would check the usual culprits:

Vacuum leak, especially intake boot
          TPS
          AFM
          ^ This

Comment

AFM or Engine to ECU collant sensor, basically it lets the car know when its warm, and leans the gas out. Its blue and under intake, its so cheap, buy a gauge sender 1 also, so you can make sure there new

Comment

Originally posted by moteren_werke View Post
              AFM or Engine to ECU collant sensor, basically it lets the car know when its warm, and leans the gas out. Its blue and under intake, its so cheap, buy a gauge sender 1 also, so you can make sure there new
              Ill check the coolant sensor and afm with my multimeter tomorrow. It sound ecu related since it stalls when it warms up and the occasional backfire when it doesn't start.

Almost stalls like i turned the key off. No shudder or wierd noises. Just the idle gets lower and lower and just turns off

I'm sure I don't have any vacuum leaks because I've replace and checked everything when i was troubleshooting the my rough idle before I redid the timing. Only place I didn't replace or check that i believe could leak is the exhaust gasket.

Thanks for the help so far guys. I was stumped
              DENY IGNORANCE!
              Schwarz 325-totaled
              brilliantrot 318i-daily

Comment

i had a similar issue with mine, but it stalled while driving, it was the afm...

Comment

No. Dice. Tested the afm and the engine temp sensor and they tested within spec when the engine was cold and after it warmed up. I tested the TPS and it was below spec so I replaced it with an extra I had that was good and no change.

Anything else you guys can think of?
                  DENY IGNORANCE!
                  Schwarz 325-totaled
                  brilliantrot 318i-daily

Comment

Been reading this, but couldn't come up with anything concrete. Could you get a video of the idle dropping and then stalling?

Have you tried a warm start with the ICV unplugged? When it starts to drop RPM does opening the throttle solve the problem?

Comment

Haven't tried starting it with the ICV unplugged but if I hear the revs start dropping and I open the throttle it doesn't die. Which Is why I have my revs turned up a little to counteract that problem and it drives fine that way, just a little bit higher revs.

Now that I'm thinking about it ill go test my ICV but I wasn't thinking that was the problem since its barely a year old and only won't idle when warm. Guess with cars never underestimate stuff. I should know this by now.
                      DENY IGNORANCE!
                      Schwarz 325-totaled
                      brilliantrot 318i-daily

Comment

Just checked and it idles(high) wit the ICV unplugged. So I tried another one I have and the same thing. Both of the ICV's buzz with the ignition on.
                        DENY IGNORANCE!
                        Schwarz 325-totaled
                        brilliantrot 318i-daily

Comment

So it will hold idle at ~975, but not at ~850?!?

I was going to say this might be a fuel pressure issue with the FPR not holding pressure, thus on the first crank it won't start, and after sitting hot it won't start? But that does not seem quite right as it is running fine at high idle.

My next thought is will it hold correct idle with the throttle cable adjusted so far back (or disconnected) so as to make sure the butterfly valves are fully closed. Seems to me that with the extra air the AFM is sensing flowing it provides just enough extra fuel which is holding the idle up.

Basically eliminate the easy ones, is it getting too much air; is it getting too little air; is it getting too much fuel (drive it, come back and check the plugs after one or two start ups); is it getting spark (cable resistance).

Ignore me if I am not making sense, I will check back later when I have thought on it more.

Comment

Fuel presure would be my next guest but I wasn't sure with the ICV issue. Maybe not enough fuel? Would that cause a backfire? My car was running way rich before I redid the timing. Could be igniting unspent fueling maybe I just need new spark plugs... Idk. Ill check the plugs next to see what story they tell
                            DENY IGNORANCE!
                            Schwarz 325-totaled
                            brilliantrot 318i-daily

Comment

If it's too rich I would suspect an ignition issue, check both the coils and wires, cross your fingers on the DME (or just replace it). Sounds like you have a fun one!

Comment

Working...
                              X