Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this M30 exhaust overkill?

Good afternoon guys,

I'm putting the M30b35 in my car within the next few months and I'm looking into exhausts to run with it so I know what I'm getting into price-wise. I have to pass the girlfriend test as well as my personal test. I would like it to be relatively quiet at idle and under 2500 rpm, but be able to tell the car has a 3.5L i6 above 2500 rpm.

Here is my current idea from the exhaust port.

b35 exhaust manifolds
    b35 downpipes with flex pipes
    dual 2" pipes
    x pipe
    dual 2" pipes
    17" long 3" diameter resonator on each pipe
    dual 2" pipes
    y collector to 2.5"
    2.5" inlet Borla Pro XS muffler

I come here to ask if you think this exhaust setup is overkill and will be too quiet or hinder any performance significantly? I'm primarily wondering if I want to stick with a resonator on each pipe or not.

Any input is greatly appreciated whether M30 related or not. Thank you for reading and I hope you have a great day.
    1986 325e Pearl White on Grey Houndstooth 24x,xxx miles M30b35 Swapped
    2002 525i Jet Black on Sand Beige 13x,xxx miles
    "This 2.5 liter inline six cylinder is smoother than my silk Versace underwear." -Vehicle Virgins

I would maintain the dual pipes to a dual in dual out muffler it seems to sound better imo that a single pipe

Otherwise if you don't mind a single to cut costs put the y where the x is and run it single 2.5" from there on. You will only have one resonator but use a good quality one with some size to it
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I agree with digger. go dual in/out, MIGHT need a resonator if the muffler is too small. My first 2 mufflers (generic and small) caused droning, got a bigger muffler (stromung) and all drone is gone now. I also have the IE headers so keep in mind that your set up will be a little louder to begin with.
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.

Based on what you guys are saying, I will stick with the dual pipes. Borla makes a Pro XS with dual inlet/outlet, so I will probably do that. I think the resonators might dumb it down too much so I may forget those. If anybody has any input about that, please let me know.
        "This 2.5 liter inline six cylinder is smoother than my silk Versace underwear." -Vehicle Virgins

Comment

You will still want 2 good resonators ( in parallel) in addition to the dual on out muffler st the back . Some use a cheap straight through dual in out muffler as a resonator as they are basically the same construction. I did this but had one custom made it worked better than the two parallel resonators but it depends what resonators you use and the space available
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I agree with digger that two resonators is the way to go.
            Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Thank you for the input guys. I will stick with the two resonators with the dual in/ dual out muffler.

Comment

Wow, came on pondering this very thing.

What should an E30M30 swap sound like and what plumbing gets it there...?

I am ready to drop it off at the shop.
                ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
                  Wow, came on pondering this very thing.

What should an E30M30 swap sound like and what plumbing gets it there...?

I am ready to drop it off at the shop.

This is my m30 car. Its got the stock headers goes from the dual into 2.5 inch Y pipe and then single 2.5 inch all the way to the vibrant muffler.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                  1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                  Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                  Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                  Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

How did Alpina and Hartge handle this motor in the E30?
                    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
                      How did Alpina and Hartge handle this motor in the E30?

Iirc they used dual piping all the way back with resonators and then the muffler. I think it was 2 inch piping

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Working...
                      X