Can a legal e30 s38 swap be done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a legal e30 s38 swap be done

I'm trying to get some information on whether a bar legal swap s38 be done for passing emissions in CA?

I'm trying to get some information as to what would be needed to make this swap happen.

If anyone has information it would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

In general to get a car BAR'd you need an engine that comes from a car newer than the chassis you are putting it in. Then you need the full stock exhaust from the manifold to the tip (it might be to the cat, I've never done it so I'm not 100% sure). Then you also need all of the smog equipment that was on the car the engine came from.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
    Transaction feedback
    - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
      In general to get a car BAR'd you need an engine that comes from a car newer than the chassis you are putting it in. Then you need the full stock exhaust from the manifold to the tip (it might be to the cat, I've never done it so I'm not 100% sure). Then you also need all of the smog equipment that was on the car the engine came from.
      Mostly.

You need:
      -equal or newer model year engine in unmodified condition
      -everything stock between entrance to MAF/AFM/MAP to the exit from the catalytic converters (some refs require stock air filter box too). People get hung up on this needlessly--it must be UNMODIFIED.
      -all smog equipment from the car the engine came out of, including fuel vapor/evap system, catalytic converters, etc
      -OEM ECU. They will check, and standalone is a fail.

Tips:
      -do not have exposed wiring whatsoever. Go in to the ref appointment with the car looking as if it were factory.
      -do not modify anything. Seriously. Not even for clearance. No tunes, no different injectors, no MAF instead of AFM, the ref is not dumb and will catch on.

An S38 would be a simple swap, just like an S50/52 is for BAR. The hardest part of the process is not modifying anything and making sure that all smog systems are present and functional.

It really is that simple. Take unmodified engine, intake, exhaust, and smog components, stuff them in a different chassis, and don't make it look like a 15 year old did it.
      2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
      95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
      98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Sounds doable for sure but since I'm getting the engine separate. Its not very easy to find a wrecked e34 m5 to use as a parts car.

Would you guys know if all the emissions stuff would be the same thing from a regular 5 series e34? I know it's a silly question but if I can do that then it would be easier to get all the things I need.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Comment

• wworm
          wworm commented
          Editing a comment
          realoem is your friend. Check part number cross over, but I doubt there's much carryover.

It has been done: https://s14net.vbulletin.net/forum/s...3-s38-3-6-swap

Comment

Working...
        X