trans options for m30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
    For a M30 engine you can use a transmission from M10, S14, M30, S38.

The bell housing size will dictate what flywheel and clutch you can use.
    That's what you need to know. (Feel free to correct me)

The m10 (g240), s14 (g265/5 or g265/6), m30 (g260/5, g265/5, g265/6, or g260/6), and s38 (g280) have the same bolt pattern so all of their transmissions are interchangeable.
    -The g240 is not as strong so it's likely the m30 will break it.
    -The g260/5 is a decent transmission, but BMW scrapped it because they saw high failure rates. You should be able to use this transmission with a stock m20 driveshaft, transmission support, and shifter linkage.
    -The g265 has a removable bellhousing, which is cool. The the /5 is the euro dogleg version ($$$) with a 1:1 5th. The /6 is the US version that has an overdrive 5th. This is generally considered the most robust transmission, but is also expensive. This transmission is about 3 inches longer than g260, so you will need to have a driveshaft shortened and balanced at a machine shop and you will need to shorten the shifter linkage. You will also need to use either the e30m3 transmission brace and angled transmission mounts ($$$), or you need to fabricate a transmission brace to use stock e30 transmission mounts.
    -The g260/6 is an improved g260/5. It is a good option. You should be able to use this transmission with a stock m20 guibo, driveshaft, transmission support, and shifter linkage.
    -The g280 is crazy expensive to both buy and have repaired. I wouldn't seek out this transmission.

The m20 has a different bolt pattern from the rest of the engines. So although it came with a g260, the m20 version will not fit on an m30. However, the m20b27 could have come with a g265/6. In this situation, you can use this transmission if you use the m30 bolt pattern belhousing.
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
      And I wouldn't recommend using the g240 from the m10 imo. Not meant for the torque the m30 can put out.
      Depends on what you intend on doing with your car, what tyres do you run, are you going to track it etc.

I've daily driven mine with the G240 for going on 5.5 years now and it's showing no ill effects after more than 80,000km. I do drive with some mechanical sympathy (eg. I'm not doing skids every day) but it's not like I don't indulge in some "spirited driving" either, and the gearbox has held up fine behind a HD clutch kit.

The Turbo 2002 guys have tested the G240 pretty extensively behind the M10 in track cars and it seems that 290 ft lbs on slicks is where they break. Behind a stockish M30 with street tyres you won't run into too many problems, but yes, if you intend on throwing a turbo on the M30 in the future then the G240 obviously isn't going to hold up.
      My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Working...
      X