Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super-exciting news: I just got a 240Z race car!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    Also saw this on the Instagram, this is very exciting. I am dumb so I bought the car already to go Vintage Racing with. Hopefully the car and myself will be ready for VARA University in January so I can get my license and start racing
    That's exciting! What do you think will be your first event?
    Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
    :coolphoto:

congrats!
    Thanks!

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
    Nice! Good looking race car! I bet that sounds really good.

I worked for a big Datsun dealer in Denver in high school, and we always had a row of these and new 280s to wash and move around, so I got to drive a bunch of them. Loved them ever since. The 240 is great, the 260 had a messed up injection system, and the 280 was very nice but not as direct as the 240.

There's a guy in Spokane I think(?) who runs a 240 race car in west coast races. A friend co-drove it in some endurance race in CA recently.
    I just got a couple videos, stay tuned ;)

That's very cool! I'm learning that the 240Z is a lot like the Cortina in that lots of people seem to have great stories/experiences involving them.

Originally posted by IceWhite View Post
    Mann, That looks nice!!!

Congrats!
    Thanks!
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
      That's exciting! What do you think will be your first event?
      Im hoping to get it out on a autox prior to the VARA University so that I can push the car in a safe environment, before taking it out to Buttonwillow. Right now, Im just putting miles on it since the car hadnt been driven since '86. Its been in resto mode for the last two months. Im sorting out the suspension now and once that is done, I will refocus on the motor to make sure it can take some abuse. It ran comfortably for the 550 miles this last weekend driving it from Napa to Los Angeles
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Is the motor stock or has it been modified? I see triples, what kind of rules do you have to deal with?
        Last edited by rturbo 930; 08-10-2017, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
          Im hoping to get it out on a autox prior to the VARA University so that I can push the car in a safe environment, before taking it out to Buttonwillow. Right now, Im just putting miles on it since the car hadnt been driven since '86. Its been in resto mode for the last two months. Im sorting out the suspension now and once that is done, I will refocus on the motor to make sure it can take some abuse. It ran comfortably for the 550 miles this last weekend driving it from Napa to Los Angeles
          That sounds great, best of luck!

In other news, I've got some short videos! :D The car sounds mean in person.

Last edited by ELVA164; 08-10-2017, 06:09 PM.
          Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Comment

I pasted the text between the brackets ] [ to a new window and it played. (Mac)

Comment

Alright, thanks! The links work, but still working on embedding. Videos are still good! :)

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                Is the motor stock or has it been modified? I see triples, what kind of rules do you have to deal with?
                The motor has steel rods, forged pistons, 12.5:1 compression, a cam of some sort, Isky valve springs and a 300-some-odd degree crank (I have paperwork to look through), but the head hasn't been ported at all and the timing isn't crazy. I was quoted 180whp. I think it'll be enough to be fun without being too much for someone to handle. The welded rear should make things exciting, as well.

Comment

The motor has steel rods, forged pistons, 12.5:1 compression, a cam of some sort, Isky valve springs and a 300-some-odd degree crank (I have paperwork to look through), but the head hasn't been ported at all and the timing isn't crazy. I was quoted 180whp. I think it'll be enough to be fun without being too much for someone to handle. The welded rear should make things exciting, as well.
                  at first glance i was going to say "get that engine to the guys at rebello" but it sounds like it's already hot.

having tried out a welded diff, i don't love them... but if memory serves, a viscous(?) R180 can be sourced from subarus.

beautiful car all around.
                  past:
                  1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                  1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                  1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                  1985 323i baur
                  current:
                  1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

That's freaking sweet! did you already do a run on a race course?
                    steve barbarich

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
                      at first glance i was going to say "get that engine to the guys at rebello" but it sounds like it's already hot.

having tried out a welded diff, i don't love them... but if memory serves, a viscous(?) R180 can be sourced from subarus.

beautiful car all around.
                      Thanks DK! I believe they did this engine, and it also had a fair amount of dyno time to dial it in.

The jury's out on the welded diff for me as I've never raced one, but I'm excited to see how it works. Mark Donohue liked them, so who knows!

I think the Subaru diff is a clutch type, but I am learning about that option. Too pricey for me at the moment, though.

Originally posted by Herought View Post
                      That's freaking sweet! did you already do a run on a race course?
                      Thanks! I posted this the day I got the car, so no track time yet. I'm taking it to NJMP in September for its first weekend.

Comment

I think the Subaru diff is a clutch type, but I am learning about that option. Too pricey for me at the moment, though.
                        i checked. you can get either. early-2k WRXs had viscous, if you want a clutch-pack you need to shop for STi bits.

personally, i like a torsen over either option, but i don't tend to use springs that'll lift the inside rear. i'm guessing you might :)
                        past:
                        1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                        1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                        1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                        1985 323i baur
                        current:
                        1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
                          i checked. you can get either. early-2k WRXs had viscous, if you want a clutch-pack you need to shop for STi bits.

personally, i like a torsen over either option, but i don't tend to use springs that'll lift the inside rear. i'm guessing you might :)
                          Thanks for looking into it! I'm learning about springs/sway bars still, so I honestly can't tell you if I will or not yet :D

Comment

I've been having some fun coming up with potential liveries for the Datsun, and I'd like to get some opinions! Which do you think looks best? Any other ideas I should try? The colors came out a bit funky for some reason, but it's the same color scheme the Ginetta uses:

Comment

First one looks best to me.

Comment

I like the first one the most too.
                                Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Working...
                                X