What is this inside the diff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this inside the diff.

So my diff is out of the car to get resealed and while inspecting it I found what looks to be a pin sticking out of the lsd pack in the carrier. Is it supposed to look like this?
    Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like throwawayforpichosting.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like throwawayforpichosting.

Sorry for the imgur links but every pic I tried to post kept failing, thanks.

No idea but I don't think it should be there.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Thanks, I think I'll wait for more opinions before I go ripping it out.

Comment

Anyone else have any ideas?

Comment

It should not be in there...something broke off...remove, inspect and rebuild.
          555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
          '95 BMW e34 525i
          '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
          '92 Range Rover Classic
          '90 Range Rover Classic
          '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
          '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
          '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
          '67 Pontiac LeMans
          '24 Model T Depot Hack
          ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

Originally posted by Klug View Post
            It should not be in there...something broke off...remove, inspect and rebuild.
            Not what I wanted to hear lol. Special tools for this job?

Comment

There is all kinds of math going on in there, I had a quaife & gears installed in my 350Z differential by a shop that claimed they knew what they were doing, another ring and pinion later installed by a specialty differential shop it was good.

I would not chance it unless you know what you are doing.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
                There is all kinds of math going on in there, I had a quaife & gears installed in my 350Z differential by a shop that claimed they knew what they were doing, another ring and pinion later installed by a specialty differential shop it was good.

I would not chance it unless you know what you are doing.

Honestly after reading that honestly it doesn't seem like it would be that bad of an ordeal.

Comment

Little chunk of the oil splasher that's (now only mostly) up by the pinion bearing?

t
                  now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

It was this, from what I understand its a small clutch pack for the bevel gears. Any idea on where I can find a new one? Was not able to find the part number on realoem, and I didn't see anything like it on pelicanparts. Seems like something that would need to be replaced with a used part. If that's the case, anyone got one hanging around?
                    Last edited by Asap; 09-10-2017, 04:07 PM. Reason: words

Comment

Ooooog, yeah, that ain't right. Start searching this site for LSD threads- there's at least one
                      on where to get parts. I remember Porsche, but the search will tell you for sure.

t
                      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                        Ooooog, yeah, that ain't right. Start searching this site for LSD threads- there's at least one
                        on where to get parts. I remember Porsche, but the search will tell you for sure.

t
                        Here is a break down the the porche lsd http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...-91/305-05.php
                        I got this from yoshi's post on http://e30performance.info/viewtopic.php?t=1311 But as you can see there is no small clutch pack on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Asap View Post
                          https://i.imgur.com/QV5RxiX.jpg
                          It was this, from what I understand its a small clutch pack for the bevel gears. Any idea on where I can find a new one? Was not able to find the part number on realoem, and I didn't see anything like it on pelicanparts. Seems like something that would need to be replaced with a used part. If that's the case, anyone got one hanging around?

The damaged item is usually from running with internal clutch/steel plates extremely worn; unless the unit had been prior tampered with and reassembled incorrectly

The key'd design for the oil capture washer is unique to the 188mm zf. 168 and 210zf have no such key on the oil washer; honestly if you are just trying to get by just grind it smooth and re-use;

FYI you do have bigger problems than that worn washer
                          OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                            The damaged item is usually from running with internal clutch/steel plates extremely worn; unless the unit had been prior tampered with and reassembled incorrectly

The key'd design for the oil capture washer is unique to the 188mm zf. 168 and 210zf have no such key on the oil washer; honestly if you are just trying to get by just grind it smooth and re-use;

FYI you do have bigger problems than that worn washer
                            When opening it, it was pretty apparent that it had been opened before as some of the allen bolts had been stripped a bit. The clutch plates actually seem look pretty good, like they where replaced when the carrier was opened last. I'll just grind it down then till I can find a donor lsd in the future, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                            X