No announcement yet.

Bring your side moldings back to life!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome write up. No one should hesitate to do there molding with these exact instructions. The last coat is drying on my new shadowlined kidneys and it looks AWESOME.
    Thanks for a great step by step instruction

Comment

Originally posted by kommissar View Post
      Ah okay. While I was sanding my spoiler down it seemed to be made of a hard rubber like material (without any foam); my mistake. Either way it holds black trim paint very well.
      It does hold it well, the only thing I've heard about painting the lip spoilers is that the material tends to soak up the paint, so you have to do a lot more coats.

Comment

Would it prove to be any kind of benefit to clear coat over my kidneys?

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrcruse View Post
          Would it prove to be any kind of benefit to clear coat over my kidneys?
          Did you paint them gloss black? If you want, clear coat would protect even more against chips and the elements. But if you did them satin black, clear coat is going to make them glossy.

Comment

I just use black shoe polish...

Comment

Originally posted by Eurospeed View Post
              Did you paint them gloss black? If you want, clear coat would protect even more against chips and the elements. But if you did them satin black, clear coat is going to make them glossy.
              I did SEM black trim paint. I would maybe say they are satin, I think

Comment

Then don't clear coat them. They'll en up glossy over satin black.

Comment

Okay, thanks. The front end looks a lot better. Zinno car with all black lights, except the ellips which I wish I had money to change.

Comment

nice write up on the side moldings, thats now on my to do list after finals week.

my side view mirrors and my rear spoiler are also faded and in need of paint. ive got a pretty good matching red paint that i sprayed my front lip with that is made for plastics.

does anyone have input on spraying these particular items or a way to bring them back to orginal color (brillantrot by the way)??? i see that others have painted rear spoilers flat black but i dont really want that. should i stay away from trying to match these parts with a rattle can?

Comment

Originally posted by 91bimmahVA View Post
                      should i stay away from trying to match these parts with a rattle can?
                      Yes, because you'll never get them to match. The only way you're going to get a match that will at least be close is to get a can mixed to your paint code from paintscratch.com.

Comment

Does anyone know if the later year e30s 88+ use the bolts? How should these be removed. My car is an 89, and I want them off the car.

Thank you
                        '89 "is" = M technic II build mode.

sigpic

Comment

I guess I will figure it out, I just didn't want to pull off the door panels if I didn't need to.

sigpic

Comment

Open the door, you'll see a little thumb screw/nut holding the door molding. Rear molding on my car had the same in the wheel well , front fender molding didn't.
                            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Thank you.

How did you get the front off? Pull?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VAPORBLADE View Post
                                Thank you.

How did you get the front off? Pull?
                                Yep, a flat head screwdriver and some towels to not damage the paint etc. The round plastic rivets are only 30-40 cents each from the dealer, I had to replace a couple when I put black trim on.
                                Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Working...
                                X