• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's smog? Nobody tells me what I can and cannot do to my cars here
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by joncrz View Post

we need to turn this state some lighter shades of blue...

Comment

Hey

California can fall in the ocean. The government and a lot of the people in the state. But save the mountain lions, or some envirohippy shit like that.
        Wait....

Oh well. While we're at it:
        Fuck michigan
        Fuck Miley
        And FUCK SALT!

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by accident View Post
          The FFL is a requirement to receive a gun shipment legally.
          Repaired that for you. ;)
          Originally posted by kronus
          would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Just find a smog tech who's cool and make friends with him. My guy's let me slide on stuff before, as long as I pass the sniff test.

To reiterate what others have said, all they check is that your headers are stock and that the cat is CARB-approved for your vehicle. Which means that the cat configuration has to be stock. You can't, for example, put a single-flow cat on a car that originally had a dual-flow. They slide under the car and check the numbers now, so you can't really get around it.

Post-cat configuration doesn't matter for smog. So weld on whatever muffler you feel like.

Easiest way to do it is get a cheap Magnaflow 50-state cat on Amazon, pay some exhaust shop to weld it in, and be done. At least these old cars have only one cat to worry about!

Smog's a pain in the ass, but at least we don't have the bullshit inspections where you can't register your car if you have a cracked windshield or any of that nonsense.

Personally, I love it when people talk about bailing the state. We have too many people as it is. Enjoy the great beaches, beautiful women, interesting cities, and gorgeous mountain landscape of Indiana :).

Comment

Maybe some clarification here

I hate this state's regulations too, but we wouldn't be the People's Republic of California without them.

Comment

I just had the M3 smogged on Saturday. They just did a very light visual inspection of what they could see in the engine bay, and a sniff test. Passed with ease. I bet I could stick a VSR cat system under the car and no one would notice, especially if I kept the stock muffler on the back. This was a STAR certified test as well.

Will
                '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                '88 BMW M3

Comment

i've never once had my cat checked on any of my cars. im 99% sure that you could put anything on and as long as you pass the sniffer it's all good.
                  Much wow
                  I hate 4 doors

Comment

Originally posted by accident View Post
                    I have no beef with Taurus. My buddy has one in .40 S&W and it's fun to shoot. The FFL is a requirement to receive a gun shipment. :P
                    Your buddy needs ones of these for no particular reason whatsoever...

OP let us know how it works out...

does cali have antique vehicle laws that exempt old cars from smog?

My don't quote me list:

Originally posted by george graves
                    I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a smog test type of thing. IIRC think it's against CA law to *sell* a dual outlet muffler as a replacement for a car that came from the factory with a single. But don't quote me on that.

Comment

Originally posted by joncrz View Post
                      Does cali have antique vehicle laws that exempt old cars from smog?
                      yes, 74 and older i believe the cut off is.
                      Much wow
                      I hate 4 doors

Comment

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
                        yikes, its only 25 yrs (old) here...

My don't quote me list:

Originally posted by george graves
                        I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a smog test type of thing. IIRC think it's against CA law to *sell* a dual outlet muffler as a replacement for a car that came from the factory with a single. But don't quote me on that.

Comment

Originally posted by MR 325 View Post
                          Muffler and piping behind the cat are not relevant and do not matter for smog purposes. Only thing that matters is stock manifolds and approved cats.
                          Originally posted by Matt-B
                          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                            Quoted.

California sucks a big one.

Comment

You mean F**k California's legislation?
                              » PARTS FOR SALE
                              » TRANSACTION FEEDBACK

Comment

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
                                75 is the cut off. Used to be every year it would go up one year but stupid politics destroyed that. California wants all "old" cars off the road and everyone driving shitbox "eco friendly cars"

Its all a big scam just like if you pass the sniffer but fail visual. If your end goal is to reduce air pollution then why does visual matter.

Comment

Working...
                                X