Rubber fuel pipe to fuel tank removal help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rubber fuel pipe to fuel tank removal help

I need some help with a hose clamp that I cant reach keeping the rubber fuel pipe on. The hose clamp nut is sitting directly above the rear subframe and there isnt enough space to fit any of my tools. Any ideas???

I dont want to remove the entire subframe for this one pipe and i cant use a dremel due the sparks it might throw.

A picture from strictlyeta for some context:

The hose clamp circled is the one i cant get at. Please help D:

Small ratcheting box wrench?
    2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Swible sockets and extensions
      @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Originally posted by IRON-E View Post
        Swible sockets and extensions
        my universal joint + socket hits the subframe, but i'm tracking down a 1/4" universal socket

Originally posted by tomstin View Post
        Small ratcheting box wrench?
        just bought one gonna try if that works

Comment

Update. For anyone doing the same thing: pb blaster + 9 inch needle nose vise grips does the trick. Undo the nut from the side not below.

Comment

That one was a PITA. Took 40 mins to get it off with a universal joint and socket. Glad you got it.
            Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
            1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
            Palm Beach County

Comment

Yeah, really not sure why the factory did that with hose clamp orientation. I suspect that when we all put the hose back on we make the hex accessible.

Such a thing was also done on some M42 cars where the fuel supply rubber hose starts on the DS of the tank. But at least there you can drop the tank to get some wiggle room.

Comment

I’m nearly certain that they assembled these cars without a thought to future maintenance and repair. Most likely the clamp was put on first then the rear subframe was added after. Since orientation wasn’t important during assembly, they didn’t bother rotating it into an accessible position for later removal.
                Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
                1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
                Palm Beach County

Comment

Originally posted by jgilber0 View Post
                  Since orientation wasn’t important during assembly, they didn’t bother rotating it into an accessible position for later removal.
                  Orientation did seem to matter, most every E30 I have seen has the clamp positioned exactly as pictured in the OP, and I suspect that this is due to production lines being set up overhead or with the car on it's side for the installation of the tank and subframe.

Comment

if you're replacing the hose, just slice it with a utility knife as close to the clamp as you can, then shove a pair of wire cutters in that slice and cut the hose clamp
                    1991 318is ---230K - DD
                    1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                    so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Working...
                    X