Locking Gas Cap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Locking Gas Cap?

Like many of us, the gas filler door on my '92 318i vert no longer locks. After all these years, somebody just opened the door and stole the gas cap while the car was parked at a local mall. Since I'm not interested in replacing the door lock itself, I thought that it would be better to just get a locking gas cap.

After perusing all the usual parts outlets online, they all seemed to direct me to part # 51 212 291 901 (see photos). However, I was disappointed to find that the inner diameter of the cap was too small, and wouldn't fit on the gas filler itself....bummer. Seems strange that all of the sources would recommend the same cap, even though it didn't fit, so just curious if anyone has had experience with this situation.

Alternatively, I am looking at Stant part # 10582, which is also recommended for the E30, although it obviously isn't OEM. I will probably just order one and see if it fits, but again, just looking for any other recommendations should this option not pan out. Thanks again!
    Attached Files

I'm using a hella locking gas cap 16111106487. Fits perfectly. Bought it from an overseas site, was less than $40 shipped.
    Last edited by glnr13; 10-29-2018, 11:45 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

How is buying a locking gas cap a better solution than just fixing the actual problem? Just replace the actuator and be done with it.

Comment

Thanks, glnr! Per your advice, I already found a source for the Hella cap in case the Stant doesn't work out. Much appreciated.

Andrew...as an E30 owner, I think we can all agree that the gas door lock is one of the more faulty electro-mechanical components on the car. Having been thru two already, my wife really doesn't want to go digging around in the trunk to release the actuator when it fails at the gas pump (again). Sometimes the more elegant solution is the simplest one, even if it isn't OEM!

Comment

It's good reference too for people with early models + no central locking unit
          sigpic

Comment

That's for sure....however, I just realized that all the sources I discovered are selling the cap for $90 and up! That's pretty steep for a plastic gas cap, so I'm not sure that I want to do that yet. Turns out that the Stant cap didn't seal very well and was easily removed, even after it was locked. Good quality, but just didn't fit properly. Do you happen to remember where you got your Hella cap?

Comment

The BMW locking gas cap is still available thru your dealer for about $56. Part# 51212291901. Just got mine and it fits without issue on my 89 E30

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                How is buying a locking gas cap a better solution than just fixing the actual problem? Just replace the actuator and be done with it.
                If there were a like button, I would use it...

In other news, to fix your CEL or oil pressure dummy light, I suggest a piece of black electrical tape, or just cut the wires to the bulb.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Thanks for the constructive feedback, Soljah. Unfortunately, the part number you are referring to, is the same one I attempted to use (and photographed) in my first post above. I returned it to FCP Euro, who confirmed that it doesn't fit on any of their 1991/92 E30s either. Makes us wonder of there are several versions of the cap that use the same part number. Would you mind looking at the pics and letting me know if this is the same cap that you ordered? Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                  X