Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I remove my front wheel bearing assembly and reinstall it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I remove my front wheel bearing assembly and reinstall it?

I am restoring a 91 318is that I recently purchased. It has a brand new genuine BMW driver side wheel bearing that has 1200 miles on it. Problem is the brake dust shield is rusted out and needs replacing. Only way to get the dust shield out is by removing the wheel bearing assembly.

Will I be okay removing the hub assembly and reinstalling the same one?

If you have precise tools (maybe) otherwise NO.
    @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

I've had the hub and complete bearing slide off without issue before, in which case you could just put it back on.

But usually the inner race is stuck on the spindle and won't come off without separating the inner race from the outer race, potentially destroying the bearing.

You could always try, and if it doesn't come off easily, just put the nut back on and no harm no foul.

Comment

If its new, and the person who installed it used a bit of grease or pentrating oil before installing, its possible for it to come off with hand pressure, and thus keeping the inner race intact.

The problem is that the inner race is held in by plastic tabs, and when you pull in the opposite direction, they break, leaving the inner race on the spindle.

Assume a 70% chance that the plastic tabs break.

Have a FAG or SKF (OEM) bearing on standby if that happens. If it doesn't, just return the bearing to the auto parts store.

That way you have all your bases covered.

As an aside; the front dust shields serve little purpose, you can run without.
        Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

I have replaced my bearings at home using harbor fringht bearing tool. It’s still no easy task. Additionally, I removed my dust shield with out removing bearing but you must remove axle if I remember correctly.

Comment

Working...
          X