Is the WAR chip still a viable option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the WAR chip still a viable option?

Years ago when I sold my old e36, I remember the WAR chip just coming out and sounding like such a great idea. Years later I'm back into an e30, and it doesn't really seem like people are using them? I have done some searching on this site and in general and didn't find much relevant. Did I miss something? Trying to decide on which route I take so I can slowly start acquiring parts.

There is an entire section dedicated to the WAR chip so yes it is still a viable option. Some people hate it, some love it. I just think more people are swapping engines and using factory DME's and Megasquirt these days.
    Last edited by reelizmpro; 09-23-2016, 02:26 PM.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

I must be blind, because i don't see anywhere where there is a section just for the WAR chip...Even searched the site, google, etc. Even the miller forum is nearly dead.

Comment

From what i hear the software is troublesome at best. It ""forgets" tunes constantly and just isn't relaible. Whodwho makes a pnp MS built into your core for a very decent price. I'm running it now and after a learning curve, which I'm still at the beginning of, its pretty cool!

Comment

Originally posted by brickdaddy View Post
          From what i hear the software is troublesome at best. It ""forgets" tunes constantly and just isn't relaible. Whodwho makes a pnp MS built into your core for a very decent price. I'm running it now and after a learning curve, which I'm still at the beginning of, its pretty cool!
          I could see why it isn't very popular then...Thats sad to hear. I guess its time to do some more research on megasquirt. I did a lot of reading up on it years ago, but its been so long. Looking to build a custom m50 and potentially turbocharge, or an m20 turbo at minimum...

Comment

Im running it on my na m20 now. Im currently converting to an m50 vtps so i can add boost in the near future! Fun things to come and with this MS setup you can do pretty much anything you want.

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by haaken675 View Post
              I must be blind, because i don't see anywhere where there is a section just for the WAR chip...Even searched the site, google, etc. Even the miller forum is nearly dead.
              It must be my old age. I was thinking about this section and the "WAR room" but I guess that's long gone. They did just come out with an Alpha N WAR chip for the S14 though.
              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

Originally posted by brickdaddy View Post
                Im running it on my na m20 now. Im currently converting to an m50 vtps so i can add boost in the near future! Fun things to come and with this MS setup you can do pretty much anything you want.

So you haven't experienced any of the issues as mentioned above I'm guessing?

Comment

Im running whodwho's MS setup, so no, no problems at all. Especially if you know/pay a professional tuner! Its not much more expensive than the war chip setup and its 100% programmable and stable/reliable.

Comment

I have a feeling that megasquirt will be the way to go. I was just hoping to not do tons of wiring.

Comment

As someone who ran a WAR setup for years and has recently switched to MS, I can tell you that MS is better in every way. If you're going FI, WAR chip is nearly impossible to make run well. NA motors are easier, but tuning is still a pain because you can't do anything live; you have to take the chip out, plug it into your PC, make changes, burn it, re-install, and then test drive. Didn't work out? Start again from step 1. Compare that to MS where you just change the value and it happens instantly, with zero other steps required. And, as others have mentioned, MS is expandable in that you can add features and functions in the future if you need them; not possible with WAR. Plus getting support for MS problems is much easier do to the massive number of people on the various MS forums. Ever since the Miller WAR Room page was shutdown, the only help you'll get is from Brody or Dan at Miller itself, and that's if they have the time to talk you through it.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                        As someone who ran a WAR setup for years and has recently switched to MS, I can tell you that MS is better in every way. If you're going FI, WAR chip is nearly impossible to make run well. NA motors are easier, but tuning is still a pain because you can't do anything live; you have to take the chip out, plug it into your PC, make changes, burn it, re-install, and then test drive. Didn't work out? Start again from step 1. Compare that to MS where you just change the value and it happens instantly, with zero other steps required. And, as others have mentioned, MS is expandable in that you can add features and functions in the future if you need them; not possible with WAR. Plus getting support for MS problems is much easier do to the massive number of people on the various MS forums. Ever since the Miller WAR Room page was shutdown, the only help you'll get is from Brody or Dan at Miller itself, and that's if they have the time to talk you through it.
                        When they first came out with WAR I was skeptical but since they offer a PnP Alpha N kit for the S14 I thought that might overcome the shortcomings of the WAR chip and people seem to be happy...for now. I knew making changes would be a pain but not that much of a pain. I presumed there was a serial cable that you used to link to the WAR chip so you wouldn't have to remove it every single time. Isn't the Unichip like that? I had no idea that you physically had to remove it each time. As fragile as EPROM's are I wouldn't want to deal with that. After all the discussion involving the WAR chip no one has mentioned that little tidbit.

Comment

It's just as easy to get a Moates Ostrich emulator and you can tune on the fly. Then you don't have to deal with chips unless you want to burn your tune for permanent installation.
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:
                          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Yes, you have to remove the chip every time in order to burn it; it will not register on the PC if it's still installed on the ECU board.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                              Yes, you have to remove the chip every time in order to burn it; it will not register on the PC if it's still installed on the ECU board.
                              This is not true. I have the WAR chip and drilled the side of the ECU case to plug a USB cable into the chip which can be accessed in the car without removing the chip. Taking the chip out each time would ruin the chip very quickly.

To upload a new tune, the car needs to be off and like stated above, each tune needs to be burned to the chip. No live alterations can be made. This is a pain in the ass which is why I want to switch to MS.

Who's using MS with a 24v engine? Anyone have advice on which MS setup to go with and from which vendor for an s50?

1991 LS1 Swapped 318is
                              Instagram:
                              https://instagram.com/saltybeast/
                              LS Build Thread:
                              https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...s-e30-ls1-swap

Comment

Working...
                              X