Driveshaft bushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driveshaft bushing

I just bought a used rebuilt driveshaft for my 87 e30.I noticed that the sliding spline has a threaded cup that can be removed ,inside the cup itself at the bottom was a toothed flat washer and nothing else .I have looked at Realoem and numerous other diagrams that I can find ,the drawings are so poor ,nothing looks like this washer but what is available as a replacement threaded cup has a large splined bushing in the cup and no toothed flat washer ,I do not understand the function of the toothed washer ,it does not seal the spline from leaking grease .Can someone clarify or show a clear photo of all of the original parts necessary to put the driveshaft back together correctly ,right around the CSB.

Originally posted by 1843lamp View Post
    I just bought a used rebuilt driveshaft for my 87 e30.I noticed that the sliding spline has a threaded cup that can be removed ,inside the cup itself at the bottom was a toothed flat washer and nothing else .I have looked at Realoem and numerous other diagrams that I can find ,the drawings are so poor ,nothing looks like this washer but what is available as a replacement threaded cup has a large splined bushing in the cup and no toothed flat washer ,I do not understand the function of the toothed washer ,it does not seal the spline from leaking grease .Can someone clarify or show a clear photo of all of the original parts necessary to put the driveshaft back together correctly ,right around the CSB.
    Here are all the necessary parts. Just went through this myself.

The one you are speaking about (top most piece, somewhat dirty) gets inserted into the metal collar piece, followed by the plastic toothed sleeve, somewhat sandwiched between the two. There shouldn't be enough grease in there to leak out, simply coat the splines. I noticed the realoem diagram was lacking this piece as well, and no, it did not come in the new collar nut/toothed plastic piece I ordered (Febi). I believe it serves a stopper to help evenly apply the collar nut force onto the plastic piece. Additionally it could serve as a gripper of sort. Not positive, but it should definitely go back in where you got it out from.

Be sure to preload the bushing 4mm, per the bently.

Comment

Thank you ,perfect!

Comment

Working...
      X