No announcement yet.

E30 Coupe Complete Rebuild + M60B40 Conversion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For someone who claims to have little patience you are doing a hell of a job and paying attention to detail on this rebuild. Sub’d for an epic build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Originally posted by LoneWolf View Post
      Document how you do it, if it turns out well, I will be picking up a set. My fingers will bleed to get them looking like that, but it looks great. Best of luck!

Painted mine to early in the swap. The engine had to go in and out so many times with the changes through my swap, now they have many knicks in the crinkle paint
      I will document it but I won't be clear coating them for a while as I have so much more to do yet including rebuilding the engine so will wait till it is done and in and then I clear them and bolt them straight on.

Yes mine been in and out a couple of times but will be in and out a bit more yet.

Comment

Originally posted by iwantspeed View Post
        Seriously nice work on that under side of your car.

Major props

Mighty car mods would be Proud.

Haha, thanks a lot mate.

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
          fuk it! sub'd
          :)

Comment

Originally posted by Drei Zwanzig View Post
            First post, long time lurker...

Großer Gott,
            what a build!

Define attention to detail: This Thread! Subscribed!
            Thank you Drei Zwanzig.

Comment

Originally posted by oekundar View Post
              For someone who claims to have little patience you are doing a hell of a job and paying attention to detail on this rebuild. Sub’d for an epic build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Yeah its a bit of a catch 22. I have this battle going on. I have to have the detail thats just me, but while I'm doing it I'm thinking, oh this is taking too long, why do I have to be so detailed and think I just wish it was finished.

Comment

Absolute headers saga

About 5 months ago I asked Garagistic about their modified exhaust manifolds they sell for the E30 M60B40 conversion. I explained that my car was a right hand drive car and asked over several emails if they new if they would work on my car, could they assure me they'd be fine. There answer was yes they will be fine, someone else with a RHD car used them. I ordered some and when they arrived I couldn't wait to get them fitted up.

Engine on stand and manifold in hand I went about fitting them. As I moved in closer to slip them over the studs, bang! the V band end hit straight into the side of the starter motor (our starter is on the right hand side of engine looking from the front of the car) and there was no way they could even bolt up.

I thought, well maybe I can just swap the starter over to the other side of the engine (where LHD cars are) and then I'll have clearance on this side. Nope, that didn't work either as the starter was then going to be in the way of the steering shaft/linkage and that side manifold didn't work anyway as it also fouled up with the steering. To say I was upset is an understatement.

I emailed Garagistic and told them there was no way these can fit a RHD car and that I need to send them back and get a refund. They then said, oh sorry, we're pretty sure someone with a RHD car had bought some. They were fine with me returning them for a full refund but I lost money as the exchange rate was not in my favour and it cost me to ship them back as well.

I then went about looking for some headers and ended up finding a set at ERGEN. These were way too expensive though after exchange rate and shipping, and they were a 10-14 week wait before they could be done and sent.

I ended up seeing a post on Facebook of another guy here in Oz who was asking about another set that he had found, and another guy commented that someone should ask him to make them a set as he was a fabricator. I thought oh yeah! Ill ask him to make me a set. I contacted him, we talked, and I ended up giving him all my crossmember with engine mounts, crossmember spacers, E36 steering rack and spacers, and starter motor. He had a shell and a block that he could mock up and go about making a set for me. 3 months later after messaging back and forth he had half done one side and then told me he was moving away. I was not impressed to say the least. I had paid him half the total amount early in the building of them for materials etc and I said I will just get them off him (and all the materials) and I'll get someone to finish them off for me. I got them off him, took them to a couple of exhaust places and they didn't want anything to do with them. They then pointed out all the mistakes including how they did not sit down flat when putting the mounting surface down. With this I spoke to him and said I am bringing them back and I'd like my money back. He did not hesitate to give me my money back.

I have now found a very reputable headers builder recommended to me by one of the exhaust places who has built headers for all different types of race cars for the last 30 years. Should be fine now. Wish me luck!!

Comment

Sorry to hear about the headache man! I know how that feels , keep looking at the bright side though and in the end you'll come out ahead :) these little kinks in the road have a way to get better and I am sure your situation will resolve !
                  Cheers man !
                  Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Jesus, how did I miss this thread? Definitely sub'd!
                    My Garage
                    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                      Sorry to hear about the headache man! I know how that feels , keep looking at the bright side though and in the end you'll come out ahead :) these little kinks in the road have a way to get better and I am sure your situation will resolve !
                      Cheers man !
                      Thanks Jean, yeah I'll keep pressing on.
                      Cheers.

Comment

Update

Been a while since I posted but have done a few things lately.

Finally found a tailshaft after so much trouble. Didn't want to pay the ridiculas prices to get one from USA but they are so hard to find here. I know I could get a e30 m3 one, or a 325e, e36 328i or any of these front halves and put with any manual back half but they were just not available. I finally found a 328i one here that had been separated and then painted and put back together without being lined up. I will get this balanced this week.

I have nearly got all the rear end back together and I'm working out the brackets for the e46 rotor and caliber upgrade I did now.

I also got my headers back from being ceramic coated and to say that I'm wrapped with them would be an understatement. Had them made in 4-2-1 configuration and the fabricator also made them so I can take them off again without having to take the engine out. I can also remove the starter and steering knuckle too without having to pull the engine.

I'm hoping to get all of the underside completed by Christmas with the exception of the cover plates and exhaust. I just put new ball joints in the M3 lower control arms I got as I decided not to go with the stock ones and SRS brackets. These and the front crossmember need to be painted and the underside will be finished.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171127_220052_362.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	7193481

Name:	IMG_20171127_220322_082.jpg
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	7193482

Name:	IMG_20171123_205537_595.jpg
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	7193483

Name:	IMG_20171202_200939_366.jpg
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	7193484

Comment

[ATTACH]118218[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]118219[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]118220[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]118221[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]118222[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]118223[/ATTACH]

Comment

Oh my. Everything in here is amazing.

Are they stock driveshafts?

Also interested in a set of your E46 caliper adapters for the rear
                              sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

How was those manifolds/headers fabricated, meaning did you have your engine on its Mount's, engine in the bay??? you say you can work on the starter no stress and it clears up fine for the steering, please share... I am particular interested in the drivers side steering clearance thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X