No announcement yet.

Diamantschwarz Forever: An E30 Love Story. Re-shell & Restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad you got that bugger figured out. Looking good.
    sigpic
    January 2012 COTM

Comment

Originally posted by robrez View Post
      Glad you got that bugger figured out. Looking good.
      Danke -- fixing it was long overdue. Let's drive now, damn it. :p

Some small updates from the weekend. Woke up early on a Saturday morning and drove to DDM Huntington Beach. Picked-up their 55w Ultra HID kit with 4,500k bulbs. Drove back home (eventually) and got down to work retrofitting my Hella Euro Smileys.

Followed some useful DIY from the board and shared with my good friend who drove over in his always sexy GTI.

Pretty straightforward install with the H1 bulbs from DDM.

Started running out of daylight (thanks Fall) so my buddy and I doubled-down to get it done. Modified the rear cover of the housing to run the bulb and wires through, topped off with a nice & snug grommet.

Put everything back in place and fired them up. Very pleased. Had some terrible halogens in before, and could barely see jack. Maiden evening drive was nice and bright.

Adjusted everything up so no one goes blind. I know some people talk DDM down, but my experience historically has been pretty good with them. I had one of their cheaper low-end kits on my fogs for about 6 years without any issue (until of course my previous E30 shell got totaled last September).

While at DDM, tested out their top line LED tail lamps and was very impressed. So came home and installed them as my brake lights. Still a little PTSD from my accident last fall so a big fan of people seeing me when I'm slowing down ;D

Then this morning on Sunday, paid a visit to a local R3Ver who unfortunately had the same luck that I had last September. Except his 1991 318i/4 was much more gorgeous than mine. :( Had recently given it a thorough, high quality Estoril color change, and had given it the full AC Schnitzer treatment. Traded Adrian my spare set of Bottle caps to serve as rollers for his downed baby, and he hooked it up with lots of little odds 'n ends that I needed. Mainly items that will come handy for my eventual respray. :) It's always a treat to meet awesome fellow local car peeps. Adrian's now looking for a clean LHD Touring Automatic so if anyone knows of any, please drop a line!

Finally came home and gave her a nice bath. Note the new OEM passenger fender is now rocking the trim piece that it was missing.

Next up are some new OEM fogs that I'll be "Frenching" with the help of some goodies from Harlan at Elefant Supply. :giggle:

That's all for tonight, hope everyone has a powerful Monday tomorrow and a wonderful week. Cheers!

Sina

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
      1983 Peugeot 505 STI
      1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
      2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Shes looking good Sina!
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Been working and traveling (for work :-( ) a lot lately, but had so much fun at SoCal Vintage in Van Nuys two weekends ago. Always a trip being surrounded by E30s.

Seeing random homies you haven't seen in a while..

Hanging out with Diamantschwarz brethren

Gang gang gang.

They'll be there to tow me out when I'm stuck in snow or mud :-)

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

What leds are running for the tail lights? I have the same fear of getting rear ended and am looking for something super bright!
            Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Originally posted by Mwishlist View Post
              What leds are running for the tail lights? I have the same fear of getting rear ended and am looking for something super bright!
              DDM Tuning.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
              1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Have you considered getting the fender and valence sprayed, even if it isnt perfect it can buy you time until you can get the entire car properly sprayed? Im holding out to get mine done totally right and even going south of the border Im expecting to drop at least $2500 (likely more) to get my car back to a proper Cirrusblau.

I think the car looks pretty damn good for a daily driver right now, BTW our cars both have an ugly side and its the same pass side fender to blame lol
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  Have you considered getting the fender and valence sprayed, even if it isnt perfect it can buy you time until you can get the entire car properly sprayed? Im holding out to get mine done totally right and even going south of the border Im expecting to drop at least $2500 (likely more) to get my car back to a proper Cirrusblau.

I think the car looks pretty damn good for a daily driver right now, BTW our cars both have an ugly side and its the same pass side fender to blame lol
                  Even though it bothers me, I'm holding out for the same. I really want(ed) to not spend anything until body & paint, but as it does, shit keeps coming up. At the moment, my engine mounts are totally busted. One of them is just about fully collapsed and the drive train is vibrating like mad.

I'm waiting for a pair of OEM mounts to arrive right now, but also figure it'd be a good time do the some other things, namely:

- reinforced front sub-frame (what the old shell had)
                  - 80a polyurethane transmission mounts
                  - 80a polyurethane differential bushing
                  - delrin front & rear shifter bushing upgrade
                  - new (used) power steering pump - current one is kaput and whining loudly
                  - m20 flywheel conversion (also do a clutch job which car kinda needs)
                  - 80a rear subframe bushings
                  - 80a RTABs + new hardware
                  - e46 ZHP "gold tag" steering rack conversion from rack doctor

I also have a puddle of fuel pissing out when I am filling up at the gas station sometimes that I need to figure out. I replace the filler neck gasket (OEM) but didn't seem to solve. This all will likely push-back body and paint until early spring.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                  1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Nice work done on the cluster, and digging the OEM look!
                    Continuous For Sale Thread
                    323i s50

Comment

Originally posted by Court M3 View Post
                      Nice work done on the cluster, and digging the OEM look!
                      Thank you! :)

Also, forgot to upload these before I headed to Spain. Here a few snaps from my drive back home to the Bay Area from San Diego a couple weeks back. The amount of smoke in the air between Ventura County and SLO was pretty crazy - and very saddening. Prayers with all of those affected by the fires.

Also a shot back down in LA a few weeks ago with my buddy Andre's 405 Mi16. Some say it was an E30-fighter back in the late 80s / early 90s.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                      1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

New year new E30. Jk. ;D Started out the year strong in getting things accomplished. As mentioned earlier in thread, I'd been having some clunking, rubbing, loud vibrations from the front end that were growing and that was no bueno. A bird's eye inspection revealed that my passenger engine mount was likely kaput. So ordered myself a custom reinforced front subframe from Garagistic in Huntington Beach powdercoated red. Turns out my friend Tyler works there so he dropped it off with another friend, Alex (iwantspeed). Tyler had to leave, but was able to snap a pic with Alex's car (pictured)

Then proceeded to drive down to San Diego (drove probably 2,000+ miles on the broken mounts/vibration) for the weekend. Pictured in my buddy Pouya's garge (plotfi). We used his garage, tools, and him :) to get everything apart

Immediate observation: cracked subframe on the passenger side. :o Not sure how this happened, but think driving 2,000+ miles with a collapsed and disfigured engine mount probably has something to do with it...

We had the engine suspended so decided to tackle a few other things while there.

Control arms & ball joints looked tired so were replaced with a fresh pair of Lemforders

Disgusting original engine mounts

Stamped 1990...

Cannot believe the left used to look like the right at some point...

Fresh subframe next to my 25mm IE front sway bar

Initial attempt at fitting the engine mounts on the new subframe was a no-go...

So we got a dremel and trimmed it to fit the OEM hydraulic M42 mounts

Voila!

Photo-op

And then ended the day (or maybe it was the next day) with another buddy who I converted into an E30 head showed up with his 91 318i/4. He has big plans for it.

Cheers for now..

- sina

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                        1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                          New year new E30. Jk. ;D Started out the year strong in getting things accomplished.

....bla bla bla update shmupdate...

Cheers for now..

- sina
                          No report on how it feels after all that work??? I feel cheated. Sina, agha, please dont cheat on me
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            No report on how it feels after all that work??? I feel cheated. Sina, agha, please dont cheat on me
                            ;D;D;D

The front of the car feels firm, and smooth. Feels great. I'm eager to redo all of the bushings in the rear end now with 80a soft-poly. All of the clunking/thumping is getting pretty annoying.

More urgently though, I need to fix my Right Rear door, which is jammed shut and won't open. Was very sudden - think it may be the actuator. But the door popper won't move - it's totally frozen shut. :(

Also - my left rear window is not working. Before, the switch on the center console would let it go up and down (the one of the door wouldn't work despite me replacing it) and now it doesn't work at all.

Otherwise, I somehow managed to put over 900 miles on the car since last Thursday, when my family came down from Northern Cali to spend the weekend with me. We drove ALL over LA county, Ventura county, Orange County, and even did ACH with mom and dad. It was literally right when I was dropping them off at the curbside of LAX when my right rear door somehow jammed itself and wouldn't open. Oh vell.

I also need to go pick up a mostly clean Left Front door from Nick in the IE at DWH parts. It's Diamantschwarz, and will save me lots of headaches instead of having my original door (which was damaged in a minor side swipe accident back in the mid 90s). It would be one of the final touches before the whole car goes in for body & paint, hopefully in the late spring.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                            1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

The last update in this thread was from back in February...and well that was the last time this car ran :( Sometime in mid February, was doing one of my routine Friday night drives from LA to San Diego to see the gf and whilst getting onto the freeway off-ramp (literally 30 seconds to my destination), the timing chain guide(s) on the M42 gave out. Sounded as if I had run the car dry of oil, or like a diesel motor. Had the car towed back up to LA, and suspicions were later confirmed. Since repairing the M42's timing system is going to be $$$ (do not trust myself in doing this), I thought about getting an S50 and doing a full-on 24v swap. Here's a photo from the weekend (or so) before this event:

So the car has been sitting in a garage in LA since then. I just moved back up north to the Bay Area back in April and picked up a 4Runner to serve daily duties. Around the same time last month, lost my aunt who I was very close with. She was a single mother to my little cousin who's about to start high school, so I've decided to shelf my hobby for a while to pitch in and spend time with her in any way I can. My plan is to get it running though by the time she is 15 and a half years old so that I can teach my little cousin how to drive stick. I missed out on a really trick 24V swap that I was planning on picking up (due to the circumstances) so think I might just find a solid M42 somewhere at some point if I can and do a quick swap-out / swap-in myself.

Before I moved out of LA in April, I also picked up a nice DS driver's door from Nick (nicflick3) who is the man. Him and Dustin (DWH Parts) run a pretty sick operation out in San Bernardino and have a ton of awesome old Bimmers with tons of cool parts. Cannot recommend them enough.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                              1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

So, uh, ready for 24v time?!
                                '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Working...
                                X