Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm Finally Back-1990 325i Vert

All
    In 1992 my journey began when I purchased a 1990 Delphin Grey 325i e30. From the second that clutch left the floor for the first time under my ownership, I was convinced. The e30 just felt right...it was balanced, quick, attached to the asphalt, sneaky fast and just a joy to drive. In a word, the e30 was and is phantasmagorical.

I drove that little e30 almost every day for 11 years. 170,xxx miles worth of driving bliss. It gave and gave and was reliable and me, in my ignorance, really did not give much back to its mechanical health. Yeah, I changed the oil religiously but not much more. I replaced the brakes, o2 sensor and water pump only once and battery twice and that was it. And for shame, I never even thought about changing that fragile timing belt. Same suspension for 170,xxx...craziness.

In or about 2003, I made a mistake, gentle readers. My eyes wandered. I kinda liked the look of the newer e46 and I sold my beloved e30. Still kicking myself. Anyway, I purchased an e46 330i. WHat can I really say...yes I liked it but it did not speak to me. I drove it for a few years and then tried the much talked about e46 ZHP. It was cool (yes I wrote cool because I'm older than dirt) but still lacked something. Well, next up was a 1998 e36 Montreal Blue Vert. Neat color and loved the drop top but meh. Next up was the highly vaunted 2006 Interlagos Blue e46 ZCP M3. It was a beast and turned heads but I felt that it was a bit disconnected with the road. It wasn't me. Tried again with a really cool 1999 Imola Red e36 M3 Vert. Well, this car came very close. It was well balanced, torquey, and truly fun to drive. Only problem was that it was an automatic. I know, I know, I should have kept that car and did a swap. Mea culpa. In 2015, I found myself a bit lost with BMW and decided too sell both M3s and purchase a 2009 Porsche 997.2 911. I love this car and will never sell it. It's incredible.

However, I always longed for that e30 goodness. I was kinda looking for a 1965 Porsche 356 but came across my new to me 1990 5 speed manual 325i vert. Stock. I had to have it. It's Alpine White, Blue top and Idigo leather interior. Yes, I'm home, the prodigal son has returned. It really is a joy to drive. In 2017, it seems a bit underpowered but this car is just right. I drive it every day just because I love driving it. Oh yeah, timing belt done 3 times already on this whip. Car sits now with 130,000 miles.

This weekend I will be sorting the following. Differential Fluid change, brake fluid change, tranny fluid change, fuel filter, oil pan gasket, front and rear end links and sway bar bushings. I look forward to meeting some e30 peoples on LI.

LI e30 vert guy here. Welcome back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks, good to be back. About to get the whip up on jack stands and get at it.

Comment

Pics or GTFO!!!

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
          Pics or GTFO!!!
          Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Will get some pics up later this weekend. Went to 7/11 after son's baseball practice and a guy was waiting at my vert when I came out. I thought he might have some bad intentions but his face lit up and he went on and on about how classic my e30 was and how much he loved it. The vert has great lines.

Comment

After three weeks of ownership here's what I've been doing:
              1. Fuel Filter
              2. Oil Pan Gasket
              3. Transmission fluid
              4. Rear Differential fluid
              5. Engine mounts
              6. Transmission mounts
              7. Front and Rear End Links
              8. Rear sway bar bushings

Rained here on Long Island last couple days and I woke up to a significant amount of water in the jack pocket at driver's rear quarter area. Tracked it down to bad rear light seals. Also washed and waxed today.

Upcoming projects:
              1. Replace Bitch Tube and seals to deal with final oil leak( I hope).
              2. Replace intake manifold gaskets
              3. Replace exhaust hangers
              4. Rear Differential swap.

Pics:
              [IMG][/IMG]
              [IMG][/IMG]
              [IMG][/IMG]
              [IMG][/IMG]
              [IMG][/IMG]
              [IMG][/IMG]
              [IMG][/IMG]
              [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Car looks incredibly clean, both interior and out - great pick up man! How's the rust for being on the East coast?

Comment

Thanks. No rust and trying to keep it that way.

Comment

Ok, e30 intelligencia, here’s where we are after 4 weeks. This weekend I removed the intake manifold and replaced the breather tube with new seals. Not that bad.. replaced intake gaskets and did a coolant flush. Took me about 4 hours.

Next project is a 3.73 LSD exchange with my open diff. Already sourced a used S3.73. Today I started to tear it apart...
                    [IMG][/IMG]

Think I’m going to replace all seals and new friction plates. Any suggestions?

Comment

Last night spent about two hours cleaning up the output flanges. The carriers were caked in grime and rust. Used degreaser and light sanding to clean everything. It was painstaking work. I'm still waiting for my ECS Tuning Seal kit and ThayerMotorsports 188 BMW rear diff upgrade kit to get here. In the mean time, I am going to continue scrubbing and buffing and shining this beast. Think I will tape off casing and spray paint it black. Have no fear, I will tape up the "S" that is painted on the differential casing.

Comment

Tonight, I have limited time before taking my son to a catching clinic. So I cut the center of the rear differential bushing out and will start on carefully cutting away the metal bushing ring.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Update: Today I replaced the friction plates and dog ears inside the Rear Diff Clutch carrier. Not a bad job just had to be detailed oriented to make sure all the components, especially the belleville washers, were correctly placed. I then replaced the large o rings and the output seals on the flanges. Took a few hours and I really enjoyed it. Had the Jet game on and reveled in their loss and the Eagles win. Here a few photos. Notice the old friction plates and dog ears at the top. The friction plates definelty were tired and the dog ears were mirror shined.:
                          [IMG][/IMG]
                          [IMG][/IMG]
                          [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Today the Verty30 Differential Swap happens...standby for the drama.

Comment

Originally posted by Echo30V View Post
                              Today the Verty30 Differential Swap happens...standby for the drama.
                              haha you got balls deep into that diff! It should make the car more enjoyable once you're done. Good luck!
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                              X