Friend bought a car, confused on motor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chaseb124 View Post
    Vin on door states it is in fact an 89 325i everything else does in fact point to magic

just swap an "I" cluster and see what happens...

but honestly if the car runs out of breath at 4500 it has to be an E motor...

Comment

the "e" coding plug which would limit the revs to 5k.
      err, rev limiter's in the ecu, not the dash....

...and by 1989, an e ecu won't plug into an i harness. I don't think.

t
      wasting time on the internet.
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post

t
        I'm pretty sure you're correct on both parts, but the coding plug in the cluster could show some funky stuff.

OP, since it's obvious someone has been messing around with stuff in that car, the ONLY way to know whats going on is by reading the part numbers off of the head and ECU.

Side note, an early cluter from an eta with 5 red SI lights should not be compatible with a late car that came with a 3 red SI light cluster. Something about the alternator not getting the correct signal to allow charging...
        sigpic
        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Not sure if it's been said but I would unplug the ECU and verify if the ECU is a two row (Motronic 1.1/325e) or three row (Motronic 1.3/325i).

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
          clutchCTRL!
          Move with a purpose.
          - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
          - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
          - 2000 323i AT
          2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Ask the previous owner for details?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

It should not require 3 pages to figure out what car/engine you have OP. :)

Pull the DME and report back, and get some numbers off the head.
              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                It should not require 3 pages to figure out what car/engine you have OP. :)

Pull the DME and report back, and get some numbers off the head.

I plan to, like I said though it’s not my car just attempting to help a friend out, I know what my car is haha, but he is in Canada right now so once he is back I will find all the numbers I can and report back!
                86' E30 Plenty Slow And kinda Ugly

sigpic

Comment

You have an M20B25. The tach means nothing - the eta tach has the same sweep, but the numbers are different. so ~4500 is basically the same as ~6500. They must have swapped in the eta tach at some point.

If you had an eta coding plug and an M20B25 the tach would go all the way around because 7000rpm would be at like 7 o'clock.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

ECU is a 173, and the head is stamped 885, sounds like an I to me!
                    86' E30 Plenty Slow And kinda Ugly

sigpic

Comment

CPS or AFM will cause a faux rev limiter. It's common for diy guys to run the CPS wire behind the water pump and not use the plastic protector, pump pulley rubs through the wire. ...or the AFM has a dead spot on the wiper track.
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:
                      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                        CPS or AFM will cause a faux rev limiter. It's common for diy guys to run the CPS wire behind the water pump and not use the plastic protector, pump pulley rubs through the wire. ...or the AFM has a dead spot on the wiper track.
                        I’ve purchased lots of non running e30s over the years because of the wp pulley rubbing a hole in the cps sheathing. Usually it runs with a bad miss or won’t run at all in my experience. I’ve seen the “dead spot” afm issue before too except when the rpm reaches the dead spot, the engine will start missing and running erratic in my experience. Both of those are definitely something I would look into.

I would replace the tach with an “I” version, run the car and see what you really have.
                        sigpic
                        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post

t

1988 SETA will...

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                            I’ve purchased lots of non running e30s over the years because of the wp pulley rubbing a hole in the cps sheathing. Usually it runs with a bad miss or won’t run at all in my experience.
                            I've had them finish long endurance races with a bad CPS and it sounded like a popcorn machine every time it went down the straight. Had them not start at all, 4000rpm "limiter", 4500rpm "limiter", misfires, even some seemed to run fine, but were down on power.

Also many many times have had the wiper track worn on AFM's. Move it over a bit and the car runs like new.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Once I had a CPS on an I car that an almost broken wire, which caused a limiter effect around 4k RPM, like forced said above.

It ran totally fine until unless you were in that part of the r3v range.
                              Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Working...
                              X