High speed trains...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reviving this bitch.

Rather than HSR, it makes more sense to cut the amount of taxes airlines have to pay for domestic flights.

Cut the amount that goes to the government, which mostly can't be recouped in a ticket, and profitability goes up. Margins get larger and add-on prices can get factored in (assuming they cost less than any specific tax item).

Meanwhile, introduce GPS air traffic control and you have more planes landing and taking off, generating more fees, at better prices for the traveler.

HSR wouldn't stand a chance.
    Last edited by einhander; 10-18-2013, 04:26 AM.
    2011 1M Alpine white/black
    1996 Civic white/black
    1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

Not sure if obvious post or troll.
      Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
      Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Fuck planes. I hate flying. HSR FTW.

Riding the TGV from Paris to Bordeaux was a blast! Of course I had to fly to get to Paris, and that sucked ass.
        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

High speed rail is a money losing business in most of the world... and so is flying. Aviation consumes less capital, less land and oh yeah, it can cross oceans. On the other hand the TSA would like to examine you colon every time you get on a plane but I'm sure they would do the same thing with high speed rail if we had that.

Originally posted by einhander View Post
          Reviving this bitch.

Rather than HSR, it makes more sense to cut the amount of taxes airlines have to pay for domestic flights.

Cut the amount that goes to the government, which mostly can't be recouped in a ticket, and profitability goes up. Margins get larger and add-on prices can get factored in (assuming they cost less than any specific tax item).

Meanwhile, introduce GPS air traffic control and you have more planes landing and taking off, generating more fees, at better prices for the traveler.

HSR wouldn't stand a chance.
          I see you have no idea what you're talking about.

Comment

Planes for everyone....problems solved?

For regional travel trains sound nice but I am honestly so impatient that if it takes longer than driving, I'm not doing it. An ex of mine took amtrak out to Chicago to visit her dad a few years ago and had nothin good to say when she returned. Delayed travel took the already 14 hour ride to over 16 and said it was next to impossible to find a place to stretch out. Granted a high speed rail would alleviate some of that issue I don't thing trying to rebuilt and already failing infrastructure is worth it in the long run.
            Swanny!
            SUCKERS.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
              Fuck planes. I hate flying. HSR FTW.

Riding the TGV from Paris to Bordeaux was a blast! Of course I had to fly to get to Paris, and that sucked ass.
              This shit right here^^^ Flying is the most uncomfortable means of transportation. Unless your shorter than 5'10" theres no way your fitting comfortably in the seat. Not to mention the width of those things.

Comment

Originally posted by MF DOOM View Post
                This shit right here^^^ Flying is the most uncomfortable means of transportation. Unless your shorter than 5'10" theres no way your fitting comfortably in the seat. Not to mention the width of those things.
                I was actually totally blown away on my last flight down to Nashville...either I got shorter or they actually moved the seats for a bit more leg room. I was also wearing a hinged knee brace and I didn't worry about the reduced range of motion. Wish I could remember the plane models.

It is a rather huge sacrifice for the "convenience" of faster travel though. Then again I'm rather limited to flying only United, American, USAirways, or Delta from my closest airports.
                Swanny!
                SUCKERS.

Comment

I've driven across the US twice because fuck flying.

Comment

Originally posted by MF DOOM View Post
                    It's only going to get worse:

But its yet another consequence of America's obsession with getting the cheapest price for whatever they're buying.

Depending on the model of plane, airlines can make 300k-1M dollars per seat per year. Mo' seats mo money.

Comment

fuck... I enjoy driving places.. Im a hotshot driver right now(start new job monday. fits better with school) and its not bad. Lots of windshield time and its cool to see new places. In august last year I quit my job. the girlfriend was moving to Ca and I was moving to NYC. Drove from Wy to Ca and had a blast seeing the country side. Beside the gf needing to pee every 45 minutes(women...) it was sick. Then from Ca I flew to NYC. fuuuuuu.... miserable.. Were planning a trip to seattle in july. going to cruise the swagon

Comment

I've driven across the US twice because fuck flying.
                        I see you're one of the sissy types who've left the terrorists win.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                          I see you're one of the sissy types who've left the terrorists win.
                          No, I just don't like flying. Big planes, that is. Cessnas and the like are fine. I guess it's just a thing where if one guy didn't check one little thing on a 767 the entire thing goes down no survivors. Every Cessna I've flown in (mom and dad got their pilots license at one time) I've been there to go over the plane with them in the pre-flight check.

Nothing to do with terrorists.

Also hate being stuck in a tube with some greasy motherfucker pressed into my shoulder and terrible movies on repeat for 15 hours.

When I flew to Paris I just got really drunk and went to sleep.

When I flew to Beijing I was too young to drink, and it was terrible.

Comment

No, I just don't like flying. Big planes, that is. Cessnas and the like are fine. I guess it's just a thing where if one guy didn't check one little thing on a 767 the entire thing goes down no survivors. Every Cessna I've flown in (mom and dad got their pilots license at one time) I've been there to go over the plane with them in the pre-flight check.

Also hate being stuck in a tube with some greasy motherfucker pressed into my shoulder and terrible movies on repeat for 15 hours.

You should put your Man Pants on and quit acting like a 15-year old schoolgirl.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Commercial air flight is extremely safe (has had enormous strides in the past 15 years) and you're much safer in a larger airplane than a regional jet.

You're out of your mind if you don't think that airlines will check a regional jet more thoroughly than a large one.

Comment

I only fly if I need to cross oceans.

I really just like driving where I have to go. Simple. I'll be driving to Omaha in the spring, and back again.

Comment

Working...
                                X