republican congressman wants our tax dollars to pay his rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
    I did not say like it or quit (although that works too) I said when one accepts terms of employment it is disingenuous to demand changes after the fact.

They have an amazing deal. They get a ton of time off, perks up the ass and all kinds of power with legal ways to monetize the position.

If they don't like it, they are free to step down.
    Agreed.

The whole limiting "talent" argument by keeping compensation reasonable is just ridiculous (this is the same argument CEO's have been using for years). There are hundreds of thousands of people who could do those jobs in their places. There is nothing particularly special about most CEO's or Congressmen/women. They would have you believe that there is... but there isn't.

People like to think they are special and entitled. It feeds the ego. Funny the right wing hates entitlements until it comes to employment compensation.

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
    wouldn't it be better to pay them more to disincentivize them to monetize their position?
    No. It wouldn't change a thing about the way Washington operates except to line their pockets even further and cost the tax payers more. You want things to get better? Set term limits and throw out Citizens United.
    "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
    -----------------------------------------
    91 318is Turbo Sold
    87 325 Daily driver Sold
    06 4.8is X5
    06 Mtec X3
    05 4.4i X5 Sold
    92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
    90 325i Sold
    97 328is Sold
    01 323ci Sold
    92 325i Sold
    83 528e Totaled
    98 328i Sold
    93 325i Sold

Comment

They already make 3x+ the average person and work much less.

How many days does the Senate work?
      The House is scheduled to be in session in Washington a total of 133 days this year. The Senate will be in session about the same amount or a few days more. But if you're an ordinary American worker with two weeks of vacation and federal holidays off, you're likely clocking in around 240 days a year at the office.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

wouldn't it be better to pay them more to disincentivize them to monetize their position?
        You ever heard the old phrase of "Give em an inch, and they'll take a mile"?

Why would giving them more money solve the problem? How did you come to this conclusion? Why do you think this would work? Why do you think a public servant deserves such favorable treatment?

Do you think this is fair, all things considered?

Not purposefully trying to stir the pot or upset/challenge you. I am genuinely interested in why you feel this would be a good idea.
        My previous build (currently E30-less)
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

When I am looking for a new job, I take all things into consideration. The benefits get converted into monthly cash an added to the offered pay to get a grand total. When you interview for a new position, it's not just the employer interviewing you, you should be just as vigilant and ask your questions as well before getting yourself into a position you don't want to be in.

I don't understand why there isn't some sort of extended stay living spaces the Fed's can't help provide for with regards to positions like this that require large amounts of time away from home. I work for a medium sized company and they do, or in the least, have deals with extended stay hotels for cheaper prices.

Buying a second home is just ridiculous.

Comment

How much does that take?

Bernie Sanders hasn't worked in the private sector for nearly 40 years and he has a net worth approaching $2 million. And he is one of the poorest!
            Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
            Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
            One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

The congressman's proposal is obviously going to be unpopular but it's not entirely unreasonable imo.

$173k yr won't go very far paying for a family, a primary residence, and a secondary residence in DC. This discourages those who are not independently wealthy from becoming involved in politics.

Plus it just sounds like a crappy, thankless job with too much public exposure and fakeness/ass-kissing. Not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by coldweatherblue View Post
                The congressman's proposal is obviously going to be unpopular but it's not entirely unreasonable imo.

$173k yr won't go very far paying for a family, a primary residence, and a secondary residence in DC. This discourages those who are not independently wealthy from becoming involved in politics.

Plus it just sounds like a crappy, thankless job with too much public exposure and fakeness/ass-kissing. Not worth it.
                Which they know going in.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                  How much does that take?

Bernie Sanders hasn't worked in the private sector for nearly 40 years and he has a net worth approaching $2 million. And he is one of the poorest!
                  i dunno, i dont have any answers just had some food for thought

Comment

Originally posted by coldweatherblue View Post
                    so your argument is that to address the issue of unequal access to political power, we should give the people in power more money?

are you also a fan of putting out fires with gasoline?
                    past:
                    1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                    1985 323i baur
                    current:
                    1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

I'm not arguing/debating anything.

I support term limits and would likely veto the stipend proposal unless it was accompanied by a cutback in another area to stay budget neutral.

just saying that personally, I would not want that job and have to pay for housing in DC as well as my primary residence on $173k/yr unless I were independently wealthy, so I understand why someone in that position would make such a proposal. Not saying I support the proposal either.

Comment

How much does that take?

40 years at a reasonable salary, x responsible spending x good savings habits x sound investment = not just plausible but likely. My grandparents retired well with a very large net worth despite modest income most of their lives. That and having the farm helped .
                        Originally posted by Fusion
                        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                        William Pitt-

Comment

How much does that take?

having $2MM saved up after 40 years is not hard to do, at least mathematically

all it takes is discipline and investing

have to agree though Sleeve that our congressmen should be spending more of their time at home and not in DC.
                          “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                          Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                            40 years at a reasonable salary, x responsible spending x good savings habits x sound investment = not just plausible but likely. My grandparents retired well with a very large net worth despite modest income most of their lives. That and having the farm helped .
                            Originally posted by gwb72tii View Post
                            having $2MM saved up after 40 years is not hard to do, at least mathematically

all it takes is discipline and investing

have to agree though Sleeve that our congressmen should be spending more of their time at home and not in DC.

Thank you for proving my point that they are already paid well enough.

He even owns a home in the DC area. Frankly I'm shocked at the number of you that think these people need more money.

Especially considering they can also supplement their income through outside ventures.
                            Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                            Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                            One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Frankly I'm shocked at the number of you that think these people need more money.
                              I'm not. Not in the slightest.
                              "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                              -----------------------------------------
                              91 318is Turbo Sold
                              87 325 Daily driver Sold
                              06 4.8is X5
                              06 Mtec X3
                              05 4.4i X5 Sold
                              92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                              90 325i Sold
                              97 328is Sold
                              01 323ci Sold
                              92 325i Sold
                              83 528e Totaled