Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello everyone

Hi all,

Long time BMW fan who is looking to connect with over BMW folks and learn more about this platform. I have always loved E30's and have had the pleasure of driving one back in the day. I never owned one of my own and am looking to get into one now.

Am I crazy for considering a well maintained, 2 owner, 325e that has 350k on the clock with a WORKING odometer?

Obviously, there may be some work ahead of me but if its truly maintained, what do I really need to keep up with? It would be my daily to get me to and from work roughly 5 miles a day, 4 days a week.

Thanks!

Welcome to r3v!

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...ase+inspection

This thread may help, if the car seems maintained well I'd go for it. Bare minimum you should take the oil cap off and look in the valve cover to see how the engine has been treated over the years. Look for burnt oil, carbon buildup, and excess wear with a flashlight while looking in there. Compression test wouldn't be a bad idea. Make sure you get paperwork on the timing belt, otherwise your gonna have to do it asap once purchased.

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Comment

Thanks!

That link was super useful.

I talked to the owner again and he doesn't know the timing belt history. Not sure if I will proceed with it at this point. I'm kind of curious about doing a compression test just to see how it does! The search continues...

Comment

GF pics?
        88 325i Cabrio
        04 Neon SRT-4

Originally posted by MrBurgundy
        If R3v was a dude, it would pick up a tinder date naked, with a raging boner, drunk, in an e30 with a shitty interior, a missing sunroof panel, explaining how its a classic while staring at the tinder date's tits.

Comment

do you love your e30 more than your wife?
          this is a good place to move in that direction...
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          '90 325i sedan daily driven
          '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

A high mile e30 with a well documented history is not a bad move.
            Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by supermansocks95 View Post
              GF pics?
              :nice:
              If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

GF pics?

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

GF pics?
                  1990 325i
                  2004 330i Individual 6-speed
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pkstrategy View Post
                    Thanks!

That link was super useful.

I talked to the owner again and he doesn't know the timing belt history. Not sure if I will proceed with it at this point. I'm kind of curious about doing a compression test just to see how it does! The search continues...
                    You can get the timing belt done over a weekend if you work very slow and clean other things at the same time, or you can just pay a shop or bribe one of the guys here to do it for you with $$$ over course.

Post pics of the car you're interested in

pics of GF (even ex's) are optional but will elevate your status here. We're a bunch of children here
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Welcome to the forums! and damn man that's some mileage! Even more impressive the cluster still works!
                      @BaggedMW

Comment

sub'ed for gf pics.

Looking forward to it, OP.
                        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

I bought two E30 so far both 88 325e 200k-300k miles on them and all I did check was rust and smoke at startup no issues drove each 112 miles each day for my commute

of course timing belt done, no matter what history, along with updated head bolts and regular maintenance/tuneup, I forgot to say to check the clutch, high rpm from 1st to 5th.. if there is any slippage clutch may be due..

good luck

Comment

guys, we went too hard too fast... we probably lost him.

We need to easssseee into it. first pics, then GF pics...
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                              guys, we went too hard too fast... we probably lost him.

We need to easssseee into it. first pics, then GF pics...
                              "Went hard too fast" is my middle name
                              88 325i Cabrio
                              04 Neon SRT-4

Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                              If R3v was a dude, it would pick up a tinder date naked, with a raging boner, drunk, in an e30 with a shitty interior, a missing sunroof panel, explaining how its a classic while staring at the tinder date's tits.

Comment

Working...
                              X