No announcement yet.

Car wont start after timing belt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea i just pulled it all out. Well here are the results. I think its off just a tad, is that really bad?

Comment

btw where is the M20 grounded?

Comment

To the frame on the driver's side via the engine mount arm, if I recall correctly. Make sure the trigger ring is installed correctly and it isn't off; it's not keyed so you have to make sure the punch mark on the crank hub is visible through the smaller 7th hole in the bolt ring.

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

If its not too much to ask can u explain me the second sentence. Trigger ring? where and what is that.

Comment

Nevermind. I forgot that you're working on an E, not an I car. On I cars, they have a toothed reference ring on the front crank hub that can very easily be installed incorrectly if you're not careful.

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

Originally posted by e30Matt View Post
              Nevermind. I forgot that you're working on an E, not an I car. On I cars, they have a toothed reference ring on the front crank hub that can very easily be installed incorrectly if you're not careful.
              Unless the pin in the crank hub is missing, the harmonic balancer that has the timing ring on it can only be installed one way.

To the OP, your cam timing is correct. Is the battery fully charged?
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I've seen countless ones where there was no pin, only a punch mark. Maybe they were just all missing. :shrug:

Comment

If the engine wasn't grounded, it wouldn't crank either. But it couldn't hurt to check

its on the driver's side of the oil pan, to the frame rail
                  1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Ok guys. Just got off work. Ima go mess with it some more. as always thanks for the info. I dont knw where i would be with out this forum and bf.c THANKS.

Comment

yea same issue. Cranks enthusiastically without the ignition coil plugged up. Once its plugged up, it cranks good then dies out and pics up again. Ground is good. Could it be a distributor cap, are automatic distributor caps diff then manual ones. Its the same motor in both cars so i would bet they both fire the same.

Comment

Check your coil wire make sure its not going to a plug. Also are your wires fairly new? They could be arcing.
                        Good luck

Comment

I thought the cluster had to be in for the engine to start? Have you put it in and tried it?

Comment

I pulled the coil wires from the parts car i had, infact the distrubutor cap as well. Cluster is in, OBC is in. i will switch out the distributor cap tom.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

I've cranked one before with no cluster. The coil wire problem sounds very possible if you haven't checked it yet. Should be the center terminal in the group of three closer to the radiator.

Comment

Working...
                                X