BMW motor oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW motor oil

Anyone use the 15w40 non-synthetic BMW motor oil available from the dealer? It's only ~$3.50 from the dealer, so I'm curious if it's a quality BMW product, a rebranded crap-brand oil, or what. It's price is competitive with Castrol, Pennzoil, Valvoline, etc... And with the CCA discount, it's the cheapest of them all.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Pretty sure it's just rebottled Penzoil, at least that's what brand the 15w-40 conventional at the dealership I used to work at was.

edit: I believe the standard 5w-30 synthetic stuff they put in every car is Castrol. The 10w-60 they put in M engines is Castrol Motorsport or something like that.
    Last edited by CorvallisBMW; 06-10-2010, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
      so I'm curious if it's a quality BMW product, a rebranded crap-brand oil, or what.
      Of course it's a re-branded oil. BMW doesn't have their own oil refineries.

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
        Of course it's a re-branded oil. BMW doesn't have their own oil refineries.

OK, I meant I didn't know if it was a specialty oil developed for BMW with a specific additive package by one of the major oil companies, or just an off the shelf oil with a different label. Better?

Comment

probly like valvoline or some walmart brand bs
          sigpic

Comment

^thanks?

Corvallis, are you saying the dealership used Pennzoil, or you guys had a tank filled with Pennzoil, or you just know the bottled oil is made by Pennzoil?

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
              ^thanks?

Corvallis, are you saying the dealership used Pennzoil, or you guys had a tank filled with Pennzoil, or you just know the bottled oil is made by Pennzoil?
              We had a big ass tank of Penzoil.

Comment

Every dealership uses some sort of bulk oil, typically whatever they can get the lowest price on when buying in quantities of 150 gals +.

It has nothing to do with who BMW AG buys their oil from and subsequently brands/bottles as their own.

BTW the guy at my dealership told me it was Castrol. IDK whether to believe that or not, at any rate, I'd imagine BMW wouldn't put their name on something thats complete crap.

Also, you can get 20w50 BMW brand oil at BMW motorcycle dealerships, equally as cheap.
                1991 318iS
                1992 911
                2006 330i 6-Spd ZSP people hauler

Gone:
                1989 M3 S50B32, 6-Spd
                1990 325ix 5-Spd

Comment

Thats a good price. And it is Castrol, I think it says it on the back or bottom of the bottle somewhere. I used to use it until I saw that it was just Castrol so now I buy that whenever I see it on sale.
                  sigpic

Comment

My dealership was Castrol, I think a lot of the dealers are switching to Pennzoil now, though. I know Benz changed their bottler to Pennzoil sometime in the last year or two, I called trying to source oil for a Sprinter van and the parts guy informed me.

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

Originally posted by e30Matt View Post
                      My dealership was Castrol, I think a lot of the dealers are switching to Pennzoil now, though. I know Benz changed their bottler to Pennzoil sometime in the last year or two, I called trying to source oil for a Sprinter van and the parts guy informed me.
                      Like I said, the oil that the dealer uses and the oil the OEM bottles don't really have anything to do with each other. There may be coincidences where they are the same, or the OE may force dealer to use a certain brand in bulk (the only manufacturers I'm aware of that currently do this are Porsche and Audi). For example, the dealer I work at uses Valvoline in bulk, but the oil we sell in bottles is made by Castrol. We'll put Valvoline bulk stuff in 90% of the cars that come in (comes out of a giant 700 gal tank we have in the back), and use the pricier bottled stuff on the certain cars that spec' it, or by customer request.

At any rate, I use the 20w50 motorcycle oil in my iX, mostly because there is a BMW 'cycle dealership conveniently located on my drive into work.
                      1991 318iS
                      1992 911
                      2006 330i 6-Spd ZSP people hauler

Gone:
                      1989 M3 S50B32, 6-Spd
                      1990 325ix 5-Spd

Comment

I've been using 20W50 VR1, we clearanced it and I bought two cases worth.

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

Originally posted by e30Matt View Post
                          I've been using 20W50 VR1, we clearanced it and I bought two cases worth.
                          dang dude, what did it go out for?

I just switched to Kendall GT-1 20w50, my price is 2.80/qt
                          1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

1.95 I think? It's been a few months.

Comment

Working...
                            X