Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ticking sound with Acceleration

Hey,

I was wondering if you guys could help me diagnose a problem.

My car makes this weird ticking noise when I press the gas pedal past a certain point. I used to think that the ticking correlated to rpm's, but I recently figured out that it wasn't.

Any idea about what it could be? What more information could I provide that would be useful?

Thanks
    1985 325e
    mods:
    Powerflex CABs
    MOMO Corse Exhaust
    euro bumpers with BBS front spoiler
    e36 m3 shifter
    uuc clutch stop

More info would be helpful. If its an m20 its just the nature of the beast.
    TWELVE HAMMERS

Comment

Rattling sound? Possibly pinging/detonation.

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

no...not so much rattling as it is a ticking.

almost like a piece of hard plastic against metal or something. and it gets faster as i press down on the pedal harder.
        1985 325e
        mods:
        Powerflex CABs
        MOMO Corse Exhaust
        e36 m3 shifter
        uuc clutch stop

Comment

Does it correlate to vehicle speed?

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

I had the same problem and after putting thicker oil in there, the ticking was gone.

Comment

could be a manifold leak?
              '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

Check each one of your spark plugs to make sure they are threaded in and tight!
                Pull the boots and check with your fingers to see if there is any back and forth movement or "play" in the plugs. Pay specific attention to plug # 6 which is nearest the firewall of the vehicle.

Just had # 6 loosen up on me and it was still firing to detonate the cylinder gases even though it was backed all the way out. I replaced the plug so that I got a new metal sealing ring at the bottom with the plug (of course) and applied the slightest smidgen of Blue (serviceable /brakeable) Loctite to the threads of the plug.
                Some say no loctite , but this plug liked to back out again and again. Actually you may want to tourque down each of you plugs while your at it. Not gorilla tight but snug.

Let us know if this is the issue and what I win?

Comment

wheel hub? shot cv joints in axles?
                  AWD > RWD

Comment

Rock stuck in the tire tread?
                    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Time bomb that counts down faster when you step on it? Wait, you don't drive a new Audi do you?
                      Yours truly,
                      Rich
                      sigpic
                      Originally posted by Rigmaster
                      you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

if you happen to be a russian spy. i think delatlanta1281 found the source of your ticking.
                        SO MUCH MORE TO DO!!
                        IG: ohthejosh

LEGIT CHECK ME BRUH
                        BUYER FEEDBACK THREAD

Comment

North Korean, not Russian. I guess the genius that put the bomb on my car decided to do the opposite of what they did in "Speed".

I will try thicker oil (suggestions?) and I will check the spark plugs.

And it doesn't correlate to speed. The only thing that the ticking correlates to, is how far my pedal is pressed down.

Thanks for the input so far.
                          1985 325e
                          mods:
                          Powerflex CABs
                          MOMO Corse Exhaust
                          e36 m3 shifter
                          uuc clutch stop

Comment

Ok, you never really answered the question, but if this is an m20 you may need to remove your valve cover and check valve eccentric lash(gap). there are numerous write-ups on the Internet, including this forum, so I won't go into detail on how to do it. Prior to doing this, check your engine compartment and under carriage for loose brackets, bolts, heat shields, etc., on the transmission, exhaust, and engine itself. Your engine is in a perfect harmonic balance and if a bracket/bolt is loose, it is possible that the balance is interrupted causing the "tick" to correlate through said part. Although, what you describe sounds like rockers being too loose. Usually, that kind of noise is only noticed at a certain rpm through your powerband or when an exertion of force shifts your drivetrain/motor slightly when the car is in motion(IE slipping the clutch in first gear from a stop). What you describe sounds like an internal moving part that increases in rythym with the rotation of your motor(hence valve-tick). to an extent, loose rockers will not damage your motor. They'll just gradually get louder and louder until the valves are so loose they don't open and close properly through the engine's combustion cycle. If you've never done this in the time span of owning your car, then I suggest doing it regardless of whether it fixes the issue. Feel free to use the search button as well because I'd be a betting man that "ticking noise" will bring up a few pages of threads to help you diagnose your problem. Good luck and godspeed noob :up:

Originally posted by Ryan...
                            It now emits a beautiful blue-ish yellow/green smoke from the exhaust?? No idea what would cause that color, but I assume its good.

Comment

oh sorry, i didn't see the 'if'.
                              I just assumed you guys would assume it was.

I have an eta, so m20b27

thanks
                              1985 325e
                              mods:
                              Powerflex CABs
                              MOMO Corse Exhaust
                              e36 m3 shifter
                              uuc clutch stop

Comment

Working...
                              X