Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikejungle View Post
    oh sorry, i didn't see the 'if'.
    I just assumed you guys would assume it was.

I have an eta, so m20b27

thanks
    Ticking is part of the M20 beast.

I know mine ticks, and it ticks a lot louder (though not faster) when the pedal is pressed down further. However, with a lot of stuff stripped out of my car, I can hear the ticking even during idle, so it's really obvious to me that it's just getting louder.

In a more insulated car, you may seem like it starts at a certain peddle press. It might just be that it becomes loud enough to hear in the cabin at that point.

What I want to know (from a scientific standpoint) is why it ticks louder with more "gas" ? I always thought the ticking sound came from the valve tops hitting the rocker arms. I can imagine it would be louder with higher ROM (faster valve movement) but why with more gas?
    -------------------------------------------------
    1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
    2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

oh sorry, i didn't see the 'if'.
      I just assumed you guys would assume it was.

I have an eta, so m20b27

thanks
      If it has over 20 miles on it, it's the rockers. They need to be adjusted. After you adjust them, they will need to be adjusted again. Then after that, adjust your rockers.
      Yours truly,
      Rich
      sigpic
      Originally posted by Rigmaster
      you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

excuse my ignorance, but what are rockers?
        1985 325e
        mods:
        Powerflex CABs
        MOMO Corse Exhaust
        euro bumpers with BBS front spoiler
        e36 m3 shifter
        uuc clutch stop

Comment

excuse my ignorance, but what are rockers?
          These are the rockers.

They sit in one of two groups on our cars, intake and exhaust, and swivel on one of the two "Cam Shafts". You can see both sets if you remove the valve cover.

Edit: Fixed idiot wording.

Also, HowStuffWorks has a good animation for the Cam Shaft and those components around it.

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

Originally posted by Earendil View Post
            These are the rockers.

They sit in one of two groups on our cars, intake and exhaust, and swivel on one of the two "Cam Shafts". You can see both sets if you remove the valve cover.

Edit: Fixed idiot wording.

Also, HowStuffWorks has a good animation for the Cam Shaft and those components around it.
            They swivel on "rocker shafts." :) And the removed valve cover shot is of a 24V motor, which will look completely different than what he'll see.

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

Originally posted by e30Matt View Post
              They swivel on "rocker shafts." :) And the removed valve cover shot is of a 24V motor, which will look completely different than what he'll see.
              Oh hell, you're right. The Cam shaft has the lobes that MOVE the rockers. The rockers rotate on the rocker shafts.

Fridays... @#$% my brain.

sigpic

Comment

Ah. So even after they're adjusted, they'll start ticking again?
                And are you saying that pretty much everyone with an m20 has the same problem?

Will a valve adjustment help?

I thought about whether the noise threshold theory was valid, but it's not even a gradual increase in sound. It starts abruptly when I push the pedal past a certain point and stops as soon as I pull the pedal back.
                I'm watching the animation and it'd make sense if the noise crescendo'd and decrescendo'd in relation to how hard i was pressing, but i don't understand the abruptness of it....

btw, thanks for the input
                1985 325e
                mods:
                Powerflex CABs
                MOMO Corse Exhaust
                euro bumpers with BBS front spoiler
                e36 m3 shifter
                uuc clutch stop

Comment

Working...
                X