Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle messed up due to electronics?

Going to cross post this over here too

Pulled the AC compressor, hard lines, and receiver/dryer last week. Everything was fine, drove the car more than usual between now and then.

Yesterday I decided to clean up the engine bay by removing the condenser, fan, and all the AC associated wiring. Got it all buttoned up and now the Idle is crazy.

Cold start idles up to almost 2500 then drops to 1000 then bounces between 2000 and 1500

Warm start just bounces between 2000 and 1500

When removing wiring I was positive I was just getting rid of AC stuff. So I would unplug things where I could, start the car, everything fine. Then clip and shorten the cables. After getting rid of it all, I re-taped the cables and put the front end back together. Car sat overnight, this morning started her up and crazy idle ensued. Before re-wiring it all today Im wondering if its obvious to anyone what I messed up? Car is a 1985 325e M20B27

update: got everything rewired and still no luck but did notice a couple things:

-temp gauge no longer kicks on
    -in 2-3 mins of idle while looking for clues to error the engine seems to be getting really hot for that short of time
    -some strange whistling in the engine bay that was not audible before all this happened

update 2:

-tested fuses all seem to be operational
    -ICV has no sounds of humming when ignition is in on postion and motor is not running
    --took it a step further and unpluged the ICV and no difference in idle, so Im wondering did I blow the ICV while messing with the electronics? Or did I mess up power to the ICV? Or did the ICV happen to crap out on me today making me think its my shotty electrical work?

Further question how do I go about testing / what am I looking for when testing the ICV for power and function?
    [‘ᴥ’] GRRR RAWR!!!

Sorted it out...turns out the massive wire connection next to the fuse box came a bit undone, and one of the wires to the radiator was unplugged.

Reconnected everything, ICV hums, idle is smooth at normal rpm, and my panic has subsided.
    [‘ᴥ’] GRRR RAWR!!!

Comment

Working...
    X