X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

head unit random shutoff

Head unit randomly turns off
    Hello,

PO installed an aftermarket head unit. It randomly shuts off, and sometimes turns immediately back on, other times stays off for a few minutes.

I pulled it out of the dash and don't see any loose wires, but other than that I'm not sure how to continue troubleshooting.

PO claimed this started happening "after it rained and water got in the antenna". I checked in the trunk under the antenna hole but did not see anything. Car hasn't been out in the rain for over a year, and the issue seems to be getting worse/more frequent.

Any suggestions on how to continue troubleshooting this? I can't seem to make the issue happen with any specific behavior, it seems pretty random, but always while driving.

I don't know much about electronics troubleshooting, so sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks.
    MC
    mc625569 is online now Report Post

The entire unit shuts off? No power at all? If so there are only three wires you need to check; constant power (usually yellow), switched power (usually red) and the ground (black). One of these wires either has a loose connection or your radio has some sort of internal issue but that's pretty rare. I'd bet it's probably just a bad wiring job by the PO.

Don't just look at the wires, pull off the tape or whatever and verify the connection. Turn the radio on and jostle the wires a bit and see if you can replicate the behavior.
    Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Originally posted by Mwishlist View Post
      The entire unit shuts off? No power at all?

Yes, entire unit off, and then at some point back on.
      I will remove/recrimp those three wires.

Thank you for the information.

-MC

Comment

I would start by replacing the fuses related to the radio, there may be more than one. Also radio memory power is routed through the cluster and through the SI board. If your SI board is not refurbished, it can affect the radio power. You can read more about the SI board and how it affects the gauges and more by doing a google search on it. When the SI board dies, it can affect power to the radio.
        Owner - Bavarian Restoration
        BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
        www.BavRest.com
        My Feedback Thread
        Our Facebook!
        Follow our Instagram!

Comment

I’ve got temp gauge issues as well so I have a number of existing symptoms of a bad so board. I’ve contacted you in the past about repair, it’s just a little out of the budget for me right now. I’ll try the wires and fuses first and if not decide if I want to fork over for the so refurb or not.

Thank you for the advice I’ll have to deal with the at some point.

Comment

Still Hunting

Update, I've recrimped both powers and ground using new butt connectors.

I've also changed the 12, 21, 27 fuses. Still getting random radio power off.

I had about a 10 minute drive today , it powered off/on 4 times. usually turns back on within a couple of seconds.

I have a multi meter, but aside from blindly replacing the head unit or forking over for SI Board work, are there any other steps I can try to get a handle on this?

The head unit was one of those 29 dollar BOSS units, so the next cheapest step may be to try another head unit.

Is there any way to cut the SI board out of the equation? I'm just trying to get my radio working without spending a lot.

Thanks

Comment

Solved.

Replaced the head unit. Random shut offs have stopped.

I guess the 29 dollar boss head unit wasn’t as robust as the PO thought.

Thanks for the advice and responses.

Comment

Working...
              X