Squeaky rubber sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squeaky rubber sound?

Lately I have been hearing what sounds like rubber being rubbed and making a steady squeak. It happens when I approach about 20mph and it remains a consistent sound whether I go faster or slower, doesn’t matter what my speed is, loaded or rolling in neutral, park brake dragging doesn’t change the sound.

I’m thinking it’s just the cv boots squealing as they rotate. Anyone ever hear such a thing? Do I need to get new boots? How do I stop it?
    My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
    I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

bump for the same problem, seems to be speed dependent. already replaced the guibo and CSB. cannot replicate the sound with the car jacked off the ground. Almost thinking its one of the u joints squeaking under the weight/ load of having car on the ground. Anyone have a way to troubleshoot?

Comment

I had a squeak that could probably be called similar. It was a failing/seizing u-joint in the driveshaft. I would generally say that rubber rubbing at that speed would probably sounds more like tire rub, right? Not a squeak.

I suggest inspecting your driveshaft u joints and making sure they're not frozen. I'm not sure that spraying some lithium grease or similar on them would penetrate enough to eliminate the sound, but you could give it a shot before you pull it apart and inspect
      '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
      NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
      Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

the rubber sound kind of reminded me of a shoe squeaking on a gym floor. Dropped the driveshaft from the rear diff again, that joint has a very noticeable hard spot. Always something...… Anyone ever drill and tap a grease fitting into one of these to get by? I cannot afford a replacement shaft right now hahaha

Comment

Or maybe a decent driveshaft shop in nh.* Googled a few and there are a couple close by. May call and ask how bad it would be to have it converted to serviceable joints.

Comment

Working...
          X