Shorted Ashtray Light n Cigar Lighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shorted Ashtray Light n Cigar Lighter

The above happened, fuse # 23 blow n changed, all other fuse n bulbs are good, light switch changed, rear light check relay changed but still no dash lights, side markers, rear lights and licence lights. I suspect it's a grounding connection lost or burnt because the car runs like it did when grounding came loose awhile back, where would be the next place to check for this.. ?

everything you mention runs thru fuse 23 ,the c103 connector(30 pin connector under left side of dash) and the grey/red wire from headlight switch pin 1,the dash light run thru the dimmer funtion of the headlight switch to ground G200 (under left side of dash near clutch pedal area )all other lights ground at G300(under LH side rear seat)

do you have a test light to make sure power is good thru fuse to headlight switch?
    Angus
    88 E30M3 X2
    89 325IX
    92 R100GS/PD
    :)

Comment

Yes, the test light shows there's power goin to the lights switch.. n theres power to the cigar lighter too but no the ashtray lights.

Comment

cigarette lighter is on a different fuse

so with a test light you have power into headlight switch gryey/green wire pin 7 , do you have power out on grey/red wire pin 1 with light switch on in either positions(park or headliights)?
        if yes do you have power at the ashtray lamp socket? again grey/red wire?
        Angus
        88 E30M3 X2
        89 325IX
        92 R100GS/PD

Comment

No, I have power in pins 12 when the switch is off n power in 12 and 8 when switch is on.. no power in 1 or 7..

Comment

theres your problem your not getting power thru fuse 23 to the light switch (pin 12 is thru fuse 22 and off the same power source in the fuse box so that is good to that point),check the power at the fuse 23 both sides and check the fuse terminals in the fuse box to make sure they are tight on fuse blades
            Angus
            88 E30M3 X2
            89 325IX
            92 R100GS/PD

Comment

if you have power at and thru fuse 23 for sure then you have a wiring problem between fuse 23 and the light switch pin 7 (grey/green wire), there is only one connector between those two and it is connector C103 a 30 pin white connector under left side of dash.
              Angus
              88 E30M3 X2
              89 325IX
              92 R100GS/PD

Comment

Thnx a lot, I fiddled with fuse 23 connection in the fuse box and "whoa" the dash is now lit up like x-mas.. damn!! it has driven crazy for a # of days.. lol

I appreciate.. :D owe U 1

Comment

need to figure out if the pins are spread,broken or burnt on that fuse connector so you dont hit a bump some night and lose interior lights again!

glad i could help ,maybe i'll see you at the E30 picnic ,where you located in washington?
                  Angus
                  88 E30M3 X2
                  89 325IX
                  92 R100GS/PD

Comment

am in Tacoma. I think there's an issue with the fuse box coz it had fried fuse # 20 or 21 real bad.. to this day my heated seats work only when the lights are out and as soon as I turn them on the seats turn off.. soon I'll try to change the fuse box circuit board which I knw it's no joke.
                    Last edited by gath; 04-19-2011, 10:01 PM.

Comment

I'll definitely be at the picnic..

Comment

Bump this. Hopefully someone can add diagrams to this post.
                        sigpic

Comment

You can find all of the factory ETKs here:

Comment

Download the etm. All the diagrams you need are there
                            Originally posted by codyep3
                            I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                            2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                            1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                            1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                            2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                            2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                            2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                            2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                            2010 F650gs twin
                            2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Working...
                            X