Count me in, e36 rack.

Comment

bump! come on people i want this now!
          Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

1. Mutty
            2. VinniE30
            3. Plain325

We can do 5 and ill get the first batch made up and sent out.

Comment

Sorry if this question is really stupid -

but is the shaft underneath the accordion boot user adjustable, lengthwise?

Comment

Originally posted by brian52555 View Post

I don't know... but if it was adjustable then why would there be 2 different versions, one for the e30 rack, and one for the e36 rack... (I believe the difference is that the steering column needs to be slightly shorter or longer length for the e36 rack)
                Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

Originally posted by brian52555 View Post

The shaft underneath is actually 2 parts, one half slides inside the other half, so in the event of an impact, it will collapse a few inches before doing any serious damage. Also makes removal and install much easier.

I made my own steering shaft using a single 3/4" DD shaft, non-collapsible, with 3/4" DD joints on each end. Removal/install is virtually impossible, and if I have an impact on the steering rack that moves it, I'm going to have some problems. The collapsible shaft is a good product to have.

Unfortunately, Terry Fair is the one who got Flaming River to make these joints to his specs, exclusively for the shafts they began offering. They did all the leg work, hence their price. Then Flaming River turned around and started selling these joints commercially.
                  85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                  e30 restoration and V8 swap
                  24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Ouch. Good to know, thanks for the info.

I want

Comment

I'll ask a third time, with more specificity, does it fit the 1990-91+ E30 with an airbag steering shaft?

It's okay to say, "I dont know," but ignoring me is not going to make a sale.
                      The Definitive 1991 M-Technic Thread - a work in progress

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                        I made my own steering shaft using a single 3/4" DD shaft, non-collapsible, with 3/4" DD joints on each end. Removal/install is virtually impossible, and if I have an impact on the steering rack that moves it, I'm going to have some problems. The collapsible shaft is a good product to have.
                        Preface this by saying that I know the following is true for an airbag steering column, but I'm not sure about the pre airbag column.

I've seen this idea before, mostly when people are talking about replacing the rubber disc in the stock lower joint. The stock collapsible shaft is not the piece we are discussing here, it is number one in this drawing:

The column is designed to collapse in the event of a front end impact at the splined end of the lower half(right where the #1 is pointing to), sliding into the upper tube. That's why the large nut is in the middle of the assembly. The stock lower joint (#2) assembly is not designed to collapse. The rubber disc is not where it collapses! The piece that is for sale here replaces #2.

Again, this is for an airbag car, but looking at the stock lower joint for a pre airbag car, it doesn't look like it has collapsibility built into it either. I'd have to pull an early column apart to verify, but I'm betting it's the same in practice.

Sorry to go on a tangent, but I believe it's important to see how these things are designed to work.

Interesting about the U-joints though...but it sounds like it's Flaming River's deal. If they're for sale...
                        1973 Bavaria

Comment

Originally posted by Brian D View Post
                          Preface this by saying that I know the following is true for an airbag steering column, but I'm not sure about the pre airbag column.

I've seen this idea before, mostly when people are talking about replacing the rubber disc in the stock lower joint. The stock collapsible shaft is not the piece we are discussing here, it is number one in this drawing:

The column is designed to collapse in the event of a front end impact at the splined end of the lower half(right where the #1 is pointing to), sliding into the upper tube. That's why the large nut is in the middle of the assembly. The stock lower joint (#2) assembly is not designed to collapse. The rubber disc is not where it collapses! The piece that is for sale here replaces #2.

Again, this is for an airbag car, but looking at the stock lower joint for a pre airbag car, it doesn't look like it has collapsibility built into it either. I'd have to pull an early column apart to verify, but I'm betting it's the same in practice.

Sorry to go on a tangent, but I believe it's important to see how these things are designed to work.

I *think* the early models don't have that collapsing column, but instead the shafts have pins in the knuckles that are designed to break free, collapse, and still allow for steering control after an impact. Both of my e30's are early models, I've never messed with an airbag car. So it seems as though you'd be OK without a collapsing shaft on an airbag car, as long as you don't mind the serious PITA of removal/installation.

Originally posted by Brian D View Post
                          Interesting about the U-joints though...but it sounds like it's Flaming River's deal. If they're for sale...
                          Valid point. And I probably should have kept my yapper shut, as it's none of my business and has no relevance the thread, lol!
                          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                          e30 restoration and V8 swap
                          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

^^ God points above. I beleive that you are correct that the collapability on the airbag car is above the u joints in the shaft as diagramed two posts above, so in theory this assembly should work just fine.

In practice... Want to send me one at cost and I'll test it and post up an airbag car install how-to for you?
                            The Definitive 1991 M-Technic Thread - a work in progress

Comment

Originally posted by P.Kelly View Post
                              ^^ God points above. I beleive that you are correct that the collapability on the airbag car is above the u joints in the shaft as diagramed two posts above, so in theory this assembly should work just fine.

In practice... Want to send me one at cost and I'll test it and post up an airbag car install how-to for you?
                              Given that the length is dramatically different, I don't see it working without a significant alteration.
                              2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                              2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                              1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                              1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                              - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                              1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                              1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                              Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P.Kelly View Post
                                I'll ask a third time, with more specificity, does it fit the 1990-91+ E30 with an airbag steering shaft?

It's okay to say, "I dont know," but ignoring me is not going to make a sale.
                                Iv been trying to figure this out, sorry you feel I was ignoring it. I work 60 hours a week and do this stuff extra, I'll do better at keeping up on everyone's questions :)

Comment

Working...
                                X