Driveshaft Conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driveshaft Conundrum

I bought a 24V swapped E30 (1985) and I have read the 24V swap thread many times as well as other dozens of "what I used on my car" stories. Here's the nitty-gritty:
    1) The car came with a ZF transmission, Getrag 260 driveshaft and Revshift guibo. CSB was shot and driveline shake between 30MPH and 40 MPH is still unbearable even after putting in a new E30 CSB.
    2) Ordered 1998 328is driveshaft, new E30 CSB and E36 guibo - E36 driveshaft won't fit and shift rod hits E36 driveshaft
    3) I believe the 260 driveshaft is bad, the Revshift guibo needs to go and I am thinking of ordering a new E30 driveshaft- Do I need to change the output flange on the ZF to accommodate the 260 driveshaft.
    4) I know I am really close and can tell if I can just get this done, the car will fly the way it's meant to.
    My head is spinning from all the possible solutions - just need the cleanest way to get this solved. have at it Forum Members!
    Frank

Are you sure that the two halves of the driveshaft are in proper alignment? They get balanced as an assembled unit, and it is easy to mis-align them if you have separated the halves at any point. There should be marks on each of the center yokes near the splined part indicating how they should line up.

If you know that the Revshift guibo is shot, start with that.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

BMWman91 - Thanks for your reply. At this point, I have decided to forge ahead with the ZF transmission, the E36 328i driveshaft, and BMW guibo. Before doing so, I need to replace the driveshaft output flange as the one on the car was either drilled out or warped out with the Revshift guibo. Here is my additional question - The current shift rod will hit the E36 driveshaft so I assume I need to go to a stock E36 shift rod - not sure if the current one is part of a short-shift kit. Is there anywhere to gather measurements for E36 shift rods - it looks like it needs to be about 1.5 inches shorter than what is in the car. Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Comment

Left is E36 driveshaft, right is Big flange 325e 86-87 drive shaft. The extra hump in the E36 shaft can rub if an aggressive short shift kit is installed. The 325e shaft bolts right in and has the correct CSB of course. Problem is they are uncommon as most E30's came with the small flange. Sounds like you should consider another shift lever if you cannot clearance the rod enough to get it to work. Since your car is modded, post a pic so we can see what you're dealing with.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

I have attached a photo of the current shift rod - as stated I have a E36 328is driveshaft ready to put in the car but it appears the current after-market short shifter will interfere with the E36 driveshaft. Any thoughts on the correct shift rod/linkage to solve this problem?
          Attached Files

Comment

You have a few options. 1. grind down the rod so that it clears 2. change the shift lever to a slightly longer throw (less distance between the ball and the rod) 3. Use an ERK kit ($50?) to raise the pivot (and shift lever) higher so that it clears the driveshaft.
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Reelizmpro - thanks for the options - appreciate the input. I kept thinking heat up and bend, not grind. I'll look at the EKR option also.

Comment

It looks like your carrier bearing is installed in the lower position. You should be able to bring it into the second hole to raise the rear of the shift carrier. That may give you just enough clearance.
                IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Need help with driveshaft question for 24v swap Part 2

Thanks for all the comments thus far - I have to circle back to the shift rod, linkage and driveshaft interference issue.

just to reiterate - E30 with S52 engine, ZF transmission, Revshift guibo and stock E30 driveshaft. In mounting the Revshift guibo, it looks as though the holes on the output flange have elongated and will be replacing with an M3 output flange to mate with E36 driveshaft. Shift rod, carrier etc is where I need help. Two things - I have no idea what is in the car for a shift rod and carrier but as you can see from the picture, the shift rod is almost interfering with the stock, E30 driveshaft. The E36 driveshaft has a raised hump and thus there will be definite interference.

I have seen people suggest an E30 shifter with an E36 carrier. Just want to be able to hurdle this shifter/driveshaft issue and move on to the next issue. Thanks in advance. Frank

Comment

Have you confirmed placement of the carrier??

Garagistic is your one-stop source to performance BMW parts. From Grip, street, show or drift, we got the parts your BMW needs. We carry BMW parts for your E30, E36, E46, E82, E92 and much more!

Garagistic is your one-stop source to performance BMW parts. From Grip, street, show or drift, we got the parts your BMW needs. We carry BMW parts for your E30, E36, E46, E82, E92 and much more!

Comment

Dude8383 - I have yet to as I have not had time to get the car on a lift and have a look. Thanks for the pictures. I am a bit confused as I was not aware the carrier bearing has 2 applicable settings and I was trying to get my bearings looking at the photos. In my picture, all the way on the right side where the shift linkage enters the silver square (??) is there any way to make adjustments there - the PO swears it's an E36 linkage but I have my doubts. Waiting for an M3 output flange to arrive before I take another run at this. Thoughts other than carrier bearing? Thanks. Frank

Comment

No the only way you can adjust it is raising the position of the aluminum arm/carrier with that bearing or using a shift lever that doesn't have as long of a length from the fulcrum.

Comment

OK - I can't be the only person who has encountered this which leads to one more question: If I have an E36 drivetrain and a ZF tranny, doesn't logic call for a plain-jane E36 shifter and linkage or am I just over-thinking this?

Comment

Yes, generally speaking you want to run whatever hardware that belongs to the transmission BUT that doesn't mean other components don't work.

I think that you're overthinking and not DOING lol. How many days have we gone back and forth now? Why don't you get under there and take a look. The linkage and selector rod are irrelevant with respect to the HEIGHT at which it sits. The lever and the position of that carrier bearing DO play a roll in the clearance of the shaft.

So stop overthinking this and physically check with your own two eyes and report back. We can't help you if you don't actually do some diag yourself dude.

Comment

Paralysis by Analysis - I hear you. Renting right now and no garage or lift so have to wait for a chance to get it t my friend's garage. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                              X