MSPNP 2005 Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSPNP 2005 Board

Hey so, I have an MSPNP on an m20 late model turbo, the ms board is from 2005 looks like this:

I believe it has 2x MK-BIP373 wired up as well going to a 3 coil Wasted Spark which I was told is a GM unit looks like this:

What are the limitations / upgrades from this model to the current and is it worth upgrading?

I'm looking at a full rewire of the entire engine at the moment so, considering upgrading
    ( f ; _ ; )f

Are you sure?

Your top picture is showing the MegaSquirt v3.0 board, which could use with the MS1 or MS2 processor. To power an m20 with wasted spark, you would need 3x MK-BIP737s.

To the best of my knowledge, the new MSPNPs use a MicroSquirt in an e30 case with a MS2 processor. Hardware mods are possible, but difficult.

If you are currently running a MS1 processor, you could upgrade to the MS2 for more resolution on your fuel/timing maps. Hopefully others can chime in about any other benefits.
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

I mean, no I'm not sure but the board definitely is a v3.0 2005 megasquirt

I only found the 2 BIPs on the bar with 2 wires leading the wasted spark connectors
      ( f ; _ ; )f

Comment

Isn't the first photo just a regular 3.0 mega squirt with the normal db37 connector? not plug and play with m20?

With megasquirt you can make anything work with anything, I have a 3.0 board with ms2 daughter board, running m20 in wasted spark with 6 x LS1 coils running off the front 3 x LEDs, no BIP737's required.

To be honest i would look at using some sort of smart coil over the GM units. I have the same GM unit in the photo above in the garage which i tried to use, but it is far easier to use a "smart coil" with built in igniter.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
          Isn't the first photo just a regular 3.0 mega squirt with the normal db37 connector? not plug and play with m20?

With megasquirt you can make anything work with anything, I have a 3.0 board with ms2 daughter board, running m20 in wasted spark with 6 x LS1 coils running off the front 3 x LEDs, no BIP737's required.

To be honest i would look at using some sort of smart coil over the GM units. I have the same GM unit in the photo above in the garage which i tried to use, but it is far easier to use a "smart coil" with built in igniter.
          Pic is not mine, just shows the case is the same as the one I have

My board has 2005 v3.0 silkscreened onto it

It has 2 wires coming from 3 prong chips that are bolted to a thin plate that slides into the case and the two wires come out on the same side as the serial port that run to the connectors on the side of the 3 GM coilpack cast housing
          ( f ; _ ; )f

Comment

I'll second that if it looks just like your first pic, that's an MS2 with a v3.0 board, not MS3. See here:

But to answer your questions:
            - No I don't think its Plug-n-play, you'll need to bridge between the motronic connector and the DB37 for your wiring.
            - No there is no reason to upgrade to a more modern MS3X that I can think of. Even MS2 will do everything I can think of for an M20 including turbo (with the right MAP sensor), nitrous, COP, etc. Might not do 6-cyl sequential injection, but since the M20 doesn't have a cam sensor anyway you shouldn't care.
            - Yes sounds like two additional high current driver circuits were added for running wasted spark. Wasted spark is the right way to go for ignition in my opinion (COP being not really necessary), but e30davie is correct that using the LED outputs is the much classier way of accomplishing this.

Comment

Originally posted by Austrianvespaguy View Post
              I'll second that if it looks just like your first pic, that's an MS2 with a v3.0 board, not MS3. See here:

But to answer your questions:
              - No I don't think its Plug-n-play, you'll need to bridge between the motronic connector and the DB37 for your wiring.
              - No there is no reason to upgrade to a more modern MS3X that I can think of. Even MS2 will do everything I can think of for an M20 including turbo (with the right MAP sensor), nitrous, COP, etc. Might not do 6-cyl sequential injection, but since the M20 doesn't have a cam sensor anyway you shouldn't care.
              - Yes sounds like two additional high current driver circuits were added for running wasted spark. Wasted spark is the right way to go for ignition in my opinion (COP being not really necessary), but e30davie is correct that using the LED outputs is the much classier way of accomplishing this.
              Nice dude, thank you

I need to lookup what the LED outputs are, my box has 3 LED's on it, is that what you're referring to?
              ( f ; _ ; )f

Comment

Yes, exactly. With the MSExtra code, you can set the software to send additional spark output signals via those LED circuits (instead of the normal warmup enrichment, accel enrichment, etc. that they original light the LEDs for). So kinda in summary:
                - Megasquirt software can generate the wasted spark signals
                - MSExtra code can send that signal over the LED driver circuits
                - The LED drivers can then be used to drive logic-level coils (that have their own built in igniters!)

Comment

Working...
                X