No announcement yet.

How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right, exactly. But…pre-airbags, all cars had a collapsible steering column so it doesn't cave in your sternum, even in a medium speed hit. Bars and a race harness are silly in a street car.

That ARC asylum joint is more than the whole reman rack at rack doctor.

Comment

LateFan, I had the same concerns too that I would be compromising on safety if I did the mod shown in the OP. But, based on a bit of research I did, the guibo has a safety feature too. I couldn't find much info on it, but it seems like the guibo is designed to let the two parts of the shaft separate in the event of a serious crash, or something to that effect - don't quote me on that though.

I also read that installing a solid guibo isn't something you want to do in a street car because of the amount of vibration that comes through the wheel. But this is all based on hearsay pretty much. I haven't had the shaft apart to look at how it goes together, and I don't have any experience with a solid guibo either.

So it seems that no matter what you do, you have to make a compromise. Not sure which I'll do, but I'm leaning towards keeping the guibo. Reason being, it seems like the two long studs you'd replace would only allow it to collapse and inch or two at most, so you're not really losing all that much in terms of safety... but I could be underestimating their purpose.

Comment

I honestly don't understand why you would run a solid steering guibo. Even in a racecar it sucks. The slightest flat spot in your tire and you will be hating life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, I agree with both of you that using the solid IE coupler or taking the coupler disk out and bolting the shaft together solid sounds like a sketchy idea for a DD.

And I'm not completely understanding the original design's intent - it looks like it would give maybe 3 or 4" when it shears off. Is that enuf to save you? And that's the case, too - the rack and shaft aren't pushing into the cabin, it's your chest hitting the wheel.

If the new set-up with spacers could shear off, is there really any room to collapse in there with the long bolts?

And then here I am - I drive an old Alfa with seatbacks that don't lock, lap belts only, and no headrests. But to send your kid out in an older car is different.

If the ARC shaft or similar has the same amount of telescoping space, that could work. Costs more than the rack itself.

Comment

ah ha...I found the post I was remembering. It's in the identical thread on E30tech...Post #103

Quote:
            Originally Posted by everlast - Post #100
            "Has anybody here considered the fact that bolting the knuckle together removes the purpose of the knuckle? It's designed to collapse on front end impact. Bolted together it won't do this, it will impale you instead.

I'm going to try to find a solution with much smaller bolts with thin washers that would collapse under impact. I'll post my results.

vvvvv

I finished modifying my knuckle today.. I used aluminum spacers to get the required length, but use very heavy duty all nylon nuts to provide the clamping force. I was able to torque them very high, but in an impact I believe the nuts will let go with about the same intensity as the slip fittings. I hammered the slip fitting apart today without much effort, but didn't feel like hammering the nylon nuts apart as a test. Hopefully I'll never know if this works as a break-away or not, but it certainly holds the knuckle together.
            "

^^^^
            Anybody else try this? Makes sense, if the nylon nut threads shear off.

Oh, another question -
            If you have to replace hoses anyway, why not go with the E36 hoses, which have a cooling loop built in? Are they a lot more $ than new E30 hoses?
            Thanks - I know this thread is years old now.

Comment

Nylon and heat cycles spell disaster.
              Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
              Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
              Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
                I honestly don't understand why you would run a solid steering guibo. Even in a racecar it sucks. The slightest flat spot in your tire and you will be hating life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Our lemons car has no steering guibo; it doesn't suck; also helps that we have 0 drivers that like to crash. I don't suggest anything but stock parts for street use
                Look at any z4 or e46 they don't have them stock; they use a telescoping steering shaft of different design.
                OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
                  Nylon and heat cycles spell disaster.
                  ah, that could be a problem.

I found some higher heat plastics at McMasters....
                  McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

They list acetal, PTFE, PEEK, and polypropylene with higher temps.

Comment

Delrin might work too. Don't know if they make fasteners out of it though.
                    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
                    Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
                    Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

When you look at it modified, there's not a lot of collapse distance even if it does shear the threads. Inch and a half?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0119.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	7176098

Comment

Yeah, it's not going to do much. I figure it gives you an inch, maybe an inch and a half at most. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Comment

Maybe a flat milled shaft design like this might work?

Alpine White 1989 E30 Coupe - LS1/T56

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                            Our lemons car has no steering guibo; it doesn't suck; also helps that we have 0 drivers that like to crash. I don't suggest anything but stock parts for street use
                            Look at any z4 or e46 they don't have them stock; they use a telescoping steering shaft of different design.
                            Like #3 and 4 here on an E46? Could that be adapted with a JY part? Looks pretty long.

Click image for larger version

Name:	98.png
Views:	1
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	7176099

Comment

Originally posted by Q8y_drifter View Post
                              Maybe a flat milled shaft design like this might work?[/IMG]
                              Yeah. I wonder if those slide or are set to length with a set screw? Similar to the ARC piece. No rubber isolator. $325.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                                Like #3 and 4 here on an E46? Could that be adapted with a JY part? Looks pretty long.

[ATTACH]95751[/ATTACH]
                                We fit a z4 non powered rack and it's steering shaft (shortened /welded solid) to our e30 Enduro car. 50 hours+ later and it's still untouched and perfect

same results as any aftermarket u joint setup from anyone but with the parts BMW setup to work with the z4&e30 natively (stock z4 part)
                                OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Working...
                                X