Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Charlie
    Originally posted by Eurospeed88
    Thanks for the suggestion, but it doens't cover any cars any newer than 1980.

I'll see if maybe our library has it first.
    If you hadn't noticed, the e30 really isn't above a Datsun 510 in terms of any sort of suspension setup, so everything in that book is completely relevant.

-Charlie
    This is what I was going to suggest, since the E30 has the same suspension used in cars (1600, 2002s) since the 60s

Comment

I am gonna have to jump in, and ride the sheep train.
      There is a huge difference between a well thought-out suspension, and a shoddily thrown together setup.
      Find out as much as you can, learn why things work the way they do, and you can then make informed decisions. Consider what you will be doing with the car, then decide if you are willing to compromise certain aspects in order to make it "streetable". Try and drive some different setups, etc, talk to some people who deal with suspension all day long.

NASA MidSouth TT Director / GTS2 #018
      Mods: Coastal PS Fluid, 10w40 Oil
      Future Mods: Bosch Micro-Edge Wiper Blades, Painter's Tape, Spark Plugs, Freezer for Nutty Buddys, Adam Nitti CD's

Comment

Re: Learning about suspension?

Originally posted by Eurospeed88
        Since the main focus of my next E30 is going to be its handling capabilities, I'd like to start learning as much about suspension as I can.

I've been reading a ton of the posts in this section, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good suspension books, or other good places to absorb more info, specifically on BMW suspension?
        In addition to Fred Puhn's book, mine (Car Hacks & Mods for Dummies) is worth checking out:

-- DavidV :D

My Book: Car Hacks & Mods for Dummies

Comment

a really amazing book i borrowed from work is a book that was sorta mentioned, but not really, its called tune to win by that same guy (i dont have it in front of me) if you end up getting it, the chapter on suspension is a amazing, a bit technical, but it talks about the advantages or ride height, and when it becomes overkill, the sizes of sway bars in relation to the spring rates you are running, downforce and when there is too much, etc, etc. etc.... i learned a lot. also in that book, the chapter on vehical dynamics and tires has and ENORMOUS amount of information. i really reccomend this book
          Dan

Comment

Well, this isn't exactly what you wanted, but the priciples are the same. And it has animated pictures to help explain.

This site isn't bad either:

Comment

Working...
            X