s52 vs S54 vs M50 turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

s52 vs S54 vs M50 turbo

I know this May have been discussed at length separately but I have started acquiring parts and now need to make a decision, I have acquired a clean low mile 318is that I want to swap. There are many choices to get more power this is what's on my radar.

Refresh the M42 and throw a turbo on it. 200hp $2000

I have a nv M50 that I could turbo 3-400 hp approx $4000

s52 is now a tried and tested route that makes very reliable power and is more or less a plug and play with all of the info on prior swaps out there, on here. 250hp $3500

s54. Prices are coming down and it seems a lot more affordable. 330 hp out of the box stock, makes a great sound and is sexy. $5-6000

I have no interest in a V8 at all M30s are a great motor but are a little Stone Age for what I am trying to achieve.

Posting to get some of your input.

S54 > all

turbo? meh - maybe if you like constant tinkering. that shit gets old though. even though the S54 has some high maintenance items, it's a stock production motor that will put down 300+whp with just software and decent headers.

Second would be an S52. But you're missing like 100hp.. it's a big difference!
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      S54 > all

turbo? meh - maybe if you like constant tinkering. that shit gets old though. even though the S54 has some high maintenance items, it's a stock production motor that will put down 300+whp with just software and decent headers.

Second would be an S52. But you're missing like 100hp.. it's a big difference!
      This is the same conversation I have been having with myself.

Comment

+1 on what Nando said.

s52 is a lot of fun but an s54 would be all you would ever need for a DD. I wish to have an s54 swapped into my wagon right now, but replacing a perfectly running s52 setup makes no sense even for the extra 100hp.

I went on a quest for power with a big turbo build on my last car and the tinkering and maintenance made me end up selling her. With an s52/54 it's just start and go.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

Euro S50B30.

Comment

s54, do it once, do it right
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Considering prices these days s54 or m52 turbo.
              You can make a reliable 24v turbo car - the problem is either people never do everything right the first time around or come up with the assumption that turbo = try and squeeze every HP possible out of the motor, which doesn't usually end well.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

My main concern with the S54 is I don't see a really good solution for the brakes on a street car. Manual brakes with a BBK seems the way to go but with a ABS delete and manual brakes I don't think will be a good for road driving. Is there a solution that I have not seen yet ??

With the extra power of the 54 I would like to be able to stop it, my whole goal is to have a nice weekend driver that isn't too wild but is fun to drive I am not a street racer or a track rat kinda guy, I have wanted a swapped e30 for years and only want to do it once and have it a reliable car.

Comment

The brakes are solvable, just not with the stock parts. I think the dual MC setup with a BBK makes the most sense. you could also do a hydroboost but it seems like a bunch of extra weight and complication to me. modifying a booster or using a smaller one could also work.

I want to do MK60 DSC retrofit (with Mtrack mode), probably some sort of Massive BBK and his pedal bracket with dual MCs. If I can pull it together it should be pretty slick!
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

If you want to make big power go with the 24v T. However if it were my car and I had some loose cash I would do the s52/54 in a heartbeat, especially if it's a daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      The brakes are solvable, just not with the stock parts. I think the dual MC setup with a BBK makes the most sense. you could also do a hydroboost but it seems like a bunch of extra weight and complication to me. modifying a booster or using a smaller one could also work.

I want to do MK60 DSC retrofit (with Mtrack mode), probably some sort of Massive BBK and his pedal bracket with dual MCs. If I can pull it together it should be pretty slick!
                      i think the most DD brake setup would actually be using a hydro boost setup from e28 era. Not pretty though and not light weight or full RAZE, but very street oriented.

Bmw used hydro boost for intake manifold clearance issues on the e32 750il; all other e32's have moden vacuum boosters.

On the e34 the remote mounted booster was done for v8'; this may be to extreme for a s54 e30.
                      Last edited by Wanganstyle; 05-27-2015, 04:47 PM.
                      OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

decided and done, I went with a S52....

There is so much info on the swap and aftermarket parts re plentiful....

I will post a build thread when I get closer to it all happening

Comment

good choice, the s52 is more than enough fun in an e30 and its a hell of a lot less time and money to get working than an S54 would be.

Comment

Will an e46 m3 instrument clust fit in an e30 m3? Just a thought as I'm missing my cluster.

Comment

It fits in the hole, but it doesnt fit cleanly.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X