• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sergey_e30 View Post
    I have 3.64 e30 front diff for sale. Price $750 with shipping to US
    And I thought I over paid for mine, lol
    My Garage
    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by sergey_e30 View Post
      I have 3.64 e30 front diff for sale. Price $750 with shipping to US
      Ouch :(
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

front and rear for sale on ebay.de right now
        318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
        '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

I bought one of those fronts on ebay.de and shipped to the US, no issues, but the seller of the rear diff won't ship to the US, so now I need to figure out the rear.

There's a clutch type 3.64 LSD on ebay, but I don't really want clutch type. A couple other options are buying a 3.64 ring and pinion and rebuilding my diff with the new ratio (would require new shimming though, potentially expensive), or buying an open 3.64 diff and installing an LSD. I could use my old VC or I could get a torsen out of a Z3 with either of these routes. Any opinions?

Comment

if you want a VC, I'd think putting in a R&P from a clutch style 3.64 would work fine. Any 30 year old diff you buy from Germany likely needs rebuilt anyway, and who's to say the VC isn't already toast..
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Anyone getting rid of a set of 3.91s that's switching to a 3.64? That has to be a little better than my 4.10s. :p

I don't think I want it super long anyway - my E90's gearing is perfect for a DD, but it quickly gets you into trouble if you're pushing it past 2nd gear. the top of 3rd is triple digit speeds and it's not that much fun to wring out, it's better to use the low end torque and short shift. The E30 is the opposite - I'm not going to DD it ever again and I want to row the gears because it's fun. But the 4.10s are just a bit too much..
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I was going to disagree and say the 4.10s are great, but then I realized I have 195/65/15 with a 4.10 and 205/50/15 with a 3.91. I think the 3.91 still end up with a shorter gear ratio. I'm not 100% sure on my off the top of my head math.

So maybe just change your tires. :-P
                AWD > RWD

Comment

I have 225/50R15 - I don't think I can go much bigger, besides that there's like a cardboard width between the fenders and tires. the 235s were slightly taller but they were also heavier and tramlined hardcore.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I still have a front 3.91 off of a nice car. I just sold my rear 3.91V to jeenyus.
                    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

I'll have a low milage set of 3.91 diffs for sale soon with about 65,000 miles on them
                      My Garage
                      2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                      1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                      1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                      Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Working...
                      X