Is this an LSD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this an LSD?

Can anyone tell from this photo if my diff is LSD or not? I'm thinking it's not, but need to know what kind of fluid to fill it with. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    1988 Alpinweiss 325i Convertible

yes, lsd
    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Thanks. I couldn't tell because the tag was too rusted.

Comment

Google it. Seriously.

If both output shafts spin together it's an LSD.
        Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Andre3127 View Post
            Google it. Seriously.

If both output shafts spin together it's an LSD.
            Unless it's a mechanical locker like a torsen.

Comment

General Discussion is not a catch-all; please do not ask technical questions there. If you don't know where to ask your question, post it in General Technical and we'll move it to the appropriate subforum if necessary. Thanks in advance.
              Originally posted by kronus
              would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

I prefer Redline 75w90 or comparable GL-5 fluid in clutch typs LSD's (such as a stock e30 would have).

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                Unless it's a mechanical locker like a torsen.

...or helical, but highly unlikely in an e30 diff....Torsen came in some z3 diffs, though.
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:
                Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

...or helical, but highly unlikely in an e30 diff....Torsen came in some z3 diffs, though.

You can sometimes provide enough load on one output flange to cause a torsen to show function, haven't had a chance to try a helical setup the same way.

As an aside, torsens aren't bad in the snow and icy stuff the way I thought they might be, as long as you have even a little grip somewhere you'll go, and when you don't you can brake torque it.

Comment

Both Torsen and helical will act like an open when one wheel is completely unloaded. This is why they both rotate the opposing wheel opposite when sitting on a bench.

Quaife is a 100% helical (I used one in the ls1 swapped Mercedes), but they both actually act similar when a wheel if lifted, but deceleration is argumental.

Torsen:

Help us to make future videos for you. Make LE's efforts sustainable. Please support us at Patreon.com ! https://www.patreon.com/LearnEngineering The working...

Helical:

TRE Helical Limited Slip Differential(TRE-LSD) The TRE Helical LSD is a helical-cut style pinion gears performance limited slip differential, it maximizes wh...

EDIT: Now a viscous acts in a very different way - kinda like a torque converter does in a slushbox transmissions:

On this Episode, Ron explains how a viscous coupler works and what it takes to rebuild one.http://www.easy2design.de/stuff/visco_sae.pdf........................
                    Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 07-08-2019, 08:59 PM.
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:
                    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

A clutch pack (Salisbury), Torsen or Quaife can all load up and prevent wheelspin, up to the limit of their capability.
                      A viscous unit can only react to wheel spin.

I thought Quaifes had a small clutch pack or preload spring in the center that gave them something to push against so they can move the car even with one wheel off the ground.
                      Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 07-09-2019, 06:04 AM.

Comment

I thought Quaife was another name for Torsen
                        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                        Alice the Time Capsule
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                          A clutch pack (Salisbury), Torsen or Quaife can all load up and prevent wheelspin, up to the limit of their capability.
                          A viscous unit can only react to wheel spin.

I thought Quaifes had a small clutch pack or preload spring in the center that gave them something to push against so they can move the car even with one wheel off the ground.

Torsen type 2 units have a couple clutch packs so you can move the car in san Francisco parking situations (one wheel airborne). Does nothing when on the track flat out with one wheel airborne

S2000 Under The Hood - Factory Torsen differential internal guts inspection, reassembly - Post is to share the detailed internals of a Torsen Type 2 and how it is assembled; timed -these units are rather set from the factory engineers and the only tuning would be to add/reduce drag - fluid changes would be more...
                          OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Working...
                          X