Learning about suspension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning about suspension?

Since the main focus of my next E30 is going to be its handling capabilities, I'd like to start learning as much about suspension as I can.

I've been reading a ton of the posts in this section, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good suspension books, or other good places to absorb more info, specifically on BMW suspension?

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doens't cover any cars any newer than 1980.

I'll see if maybe our library has it first.

Comment

I dont think a whole lot has changed... at least nothing that you'll be putting in your car (unless you want to spend 5k on remotely adjustable dampeners), even then, principles are the same.

Doing something M50 related? -> http://www.addissimo.com
        On Myspace? ->http://groups.myspace.com/r3vlimited
        BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

^^^ top book, i have a copy myself.
          sigpicM42 Brigade ... Throwing craze in the 318

Comment

^^yep, definately a good book, although it's been a couple of years since I last read it.

Check out books by an author named Carroll Smith as well... He's widely regarded as a car setup guru. I think he's released four books - Engineer to Win, Prepare to Win, Drive to Win and something else about winning. Can't remember. But all four books are excellent reads, although most of it is racecar specific. Not much info on machpherson struts or semi-trailing arms - mostly double wishbone stuff - but good nonetheless.

Also read some of the tech articles here http://e30m3performance.com/ if you haven't already. This guy knows his shit, and it's e30 specific too.

Comment

^ you heard it from Mr Shock Absorber Engineer himself.
              sigpicM42 Brigade ... Throwing craze in the 318

Comment

Originally posted by Streetspec_iS
                ^ you heard it from Mr Shock Absorber Engineer himself.
                heh :D just realised I spelt 'macpherson' wrong above. how professional.

and i'm still waiting for my wheels ya punk...

Comment

I just reserved the book at the library, I'll give it a once over and then maybe buy it if it turns out to be good.

Comment

you'll learn more about suspension at your first autocross than in 5 whole books...

practical, hands on learning rocks
                    BEERTECH

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                      you'll learn more about suspension at your first autocross than in 5 whole books...

You'd be suprised though how little the average autocrosser knows about suspension set up.
                      San Diego BMW repair -> Jake @ www.littlecarshop.com Great guy :up:

Comment

me included. I guess i'm trying to make the point that all the 'theory' is great, but it helps a lot if you can see the stuff in action, feel what its like
                        BEERTECH

Comment

Originally posted by Rob

Werd to that, I plan to autocross quite a bit once I get my car.

I'd really like a lot of the focus of my next E30 to be on suspension and handling. I'll be looking to fine-tune a suspension set-up that will be good for daily driving (I don't mind a reasonably stiff ride) and regular long spirited drives, but that can also get the job done on an autocross course as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Eurospeed88
                            Thanks for the suggestion, but it doens't cover any cars any newer than 1980.

I'll see if maybe our library has it first.
                            If you hadn't noticed, the e30 really isn't above a Datsun 510 in terms of any sort of suspension setup, so everything in that book is completely relevant.

-Charlie
                            Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
                            '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                            FYYFF

Comment

Originally posted by Rob

Amen.

But getting a head start never hurts :D

Comment

Working...
                              X