No announcement yet.

Ultimate E30 track setup???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longer spring but I'm leaning toward it weighs less. Also the E21 had this style rear suspension and did fine. I tried a VW rear Koni 1001R adjustable perch once in the rear but on a non modified car so I didn't play long decided the ride and motion was not controlled properly so I went back to stock.

This was on an Eta sport.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffRR View Post
      Are there that many people buying true rear coil-overs who do not also have cages that pick up the rear shock towers?
      Yes, infact, there are many E30s in Europe that run the streetable Leda setups (unfortunately Leda is not in the Us) , which use almost a factory type mount. Not much extra support there! If you look around also, there are many E30 race cars running a full coilover in the rear, and the cage bracing does not do much to actually support the extra load of the spring.

A long spring does not have to be ran. I could use a 4 inch spring if needed -- talk about light! There are not too many benefits to a true rear coilover, that said. The Bilstein shock I am using is user revalveable and easly expandible to infinate compression/rebuild adjustability, if I wanted to get serious. Not too difficult. Even though, I believe my spring/shock setup is lighter than a stock shock and stock spring setup. Maybe I will weight my setup some day.

Also like the fact that having the spring actually work straight up and down a true coilover allows for more precise spring action along with cornerweighting. Having the spring on the trailing arm, and being "bent" leads to non-precise action. Articulating weight jacks are used to cure this, however, with most, these are not able to allow a car to be cornerweighted due to stack height and lack of adjustability.

Another advantage is being able to run a standard type spring, as we know the solution for an E30 is to run a "barrel" type spring, as we all know how the short springs on an E30 can coilbind.

Hmm..another advantage is travel. Rear travel, while not necessarly very important, is limited on a E30 with springs on the trailing arm. At idle, I have 6 inches of travel, UP! Lets see a trailing arm spring'd car do that. :)

I guess the next thing you guys say is that it would be over kill to put airjacks on a street car. :)

Comment

he's alive!
        sigpic

Comment

and shirtless?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aaron.j View Post
            and shirtless?
            Unfortunately, I do have a shirt on.

Comment

Working...