OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sharing some data that might be useful to some 24v swaps.

M54/M52TU (double vanos) easily setup as a m50b25; perhaps will be a useful reference for those who have a free/cheap/easily avail alloy block double vanos engine and need a longmotor for a 24v swapped car (this is the reason I puzzled this out originally; loosing weight was a nice side effect)

Started out as a standard looking double vanos unit; the intake manifold with DISA...
    E-throttle......it all has to go-

silly catalyst manifolds and huge heat shields are next to leave

The M54/M52TU water systems are simple; only 2 pipes and the rear can be blocked off for this application (racecar). Front outputs to the E30 late model overflow bottle position the best. This early model chassis is already converted to late model bottle for prior 24v swap reasons.

Oil sump pickup has been converted to front sump oil pan with modification to pickup tube
    M52TU/m54 oil pump is retained.

The double vanos engine plastic cap oil filter housing needs to go;
    metal S52 unit will be installed so a S52b32/S54b32 oil filter can be used.

M54 exhaust stud pattern and exhaust gaskets are replaced with m50 stud pattern and exhaust gaskets; as a bonus the exhaust gaskets are lighter and less material.
    S52 tubular exhaust manifolds will be carried over from old engine and re-used; the M54 manifolds are heavy and have catalysts not needed for racing use.

Air injection to catalyst ports will be blocked off at top; next engine see plugs in all the holes in exhaust ports when the head is built; this cylinder head has been built and assembled already so the little holes will stay.

Racing driver is powered by beer and whole foods

A a more familiar intake manifold is installed after some bonus stud removal

M54 chain tensioner is removed; will be replaced by S54 unit

Knock sensors, cam sensor, oil pressure and water temp sensor from S52b32 obd1 unit being removed will all come out and be re-used in the M54. Damper style belt tensioner is removed; mechanical setup + power steering pump delete belt will transfer over from the S52. Current steering rack is a Z4 non-m unit that has no hydro-assist at all.

Less stuff is easier to look at than more stuff
    Hall sensor in rear of block was replaced by a m44b19 VR type crank position sensor to match the 413 DME and M50b25 harness currently installed; factory BMW interchange in its design.

Oil filter housing will be changed to s52 unit with metal top hat; later will add ports for temp sender and aftermarket air to oil cooling if needed.
    This car is is for sprint racing (30-45 minutes); so the setup will change a bit over time slowly;
    goal currently is to detune it to 160-170rwhp or so to meet power to weight goals; induction restriction will be needed

Headers from s52/m52 installed

Grapefruit sculpin IPA install

installed with everything transfered over from the last iron motor:

belt drive and tensioner(mechanical) with power steering deleted (z4 non-m rack)

s52 oil filter housing bolts on:

M52b28 plastic valve cover looks much better and may be lighter (or may not). Regardless It was better to update so it can share the shash of 2 bolt coilpacks for my other car.

BMW made a factory block off plate for the air injection (exhaust side) for a Rolls Royce wraith. local dealer had it in stock:

Rear M50b25 temp sensor fitted

Last edited by Wanganstyle; 12-13-2015, 12:14 PM.

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

That is going to be a sweet lightweight setup!
    Euro car and parts export business based in the Netherlands, specialized in E30 Tourings!

Instagram: @garage30_ WWW.GARAGE30.NL

Comment

Nice build what did you do about the gap on the front cover ?

Comment

So you are removing everything that makes m54 great engine and making it worse. Why? To make it fit that power/weight ratio, just de-tune using the stock m54 ms43 control unit, and the engine would have been drop in replacement. The -413 bosch is ancient technology compared to the ms43 you would had.

But now when you are doing that, remember to block those idle air holes in the head, or you are going to have massive vacuum leak.

Comment

Why not just use an aluminum block M52 from a Z3? Seems much easier if all your going for is weight reduction.

Comment

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
            So you are removing everything that makes m54 great engine and making it worse. Why? To make it fit that power/weight ratio, just de-tune using the stock m54 ms43 control unit, and the engine would have been drop in replacement. The -413 bosch is ancient technology compared to the ms43 you would had.

But now when you are doing that, remember to block those idle air holes in the head, or you are going to have massive vacuum leak.
            This thread is 3 years old and i don't think wanganstyle is even active still...

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
            IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

Originally posted by mitchlikesbikes View Post
              This thread is 3 years old and i don't think wanganstyle is even active still...
              Oh yeah I didn't check the date on the starting post. Only the latest :D

Comment

Originally posted by mitchlikesbikes View Post

Still making fun of r3vtards today.

Amusing that nobody realized the implications of being able to single vanos swap a m54; it’s a newer and more plentiful substitute for the e36 era engines that are becoming older and less common.

If I had an insane amount of free time I’d consider swapping over electronics and dme; most who actually routinely go to the racetrack (I.e the staff recognizes you at the racetrack - not r3vtards) don’t have much free time at all.
                Last edited by Wanganstyle; 02-04-2018, 11:02 AM.

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Interesting thread goes 3 years unnoticed.

How many hours did you get out of the motor?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                  @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Probably killed itself at the first crack of vanos...

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                      Interesting thread goes 3 years unnoticed.

How many hours did you get out of the motor?
                      The car spent a bit of time getting plastic bumpers and some paint. Then was moved to storage as time permitted me to run only my e36m and s2000.

Currently has 3 hours on the motor; my guesstimate is that it will live about 40-50hrs; it’s a bone stock longmotor and head.

Originally posted by ZekeTheSneak View Post
                      Probably killed itself at the first crack of vanos...
                      Just because you don’t understand how to assemble an engine with Oem Bmw factory parts doesn’t mean you need to hate on someone else’s innovation.

Here’s a group photo from 12/16 of my machines at laguna Seca; enlisted two close friends to drive that day also so all 3 could be trackside. Yes it’s my Frankenstein creation m54b28 obd1 e30 and it was driven to the track and back

From German auto sport in Berkeley ca to laguna seca is 117miles each way; have you ever been to laguna seca?

Had a few other cars to drive past few years so the e30 has slept for a while.

Car was recently rented out by a local team; they are practicing this weekend at thunderhill with Bmw cca ; supported locally by Edge MV.

Frakie (the aluminum block m54b28 obd1 e30) Will be running the December 1/2 Sonoma 2018 lemons national championship
                      Last edited by Wanganstyle; 11-11-2018, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Frankie did the past weekend test at thunderhill with the Bmw club; the team renting him loved the drive.

Now to get him ready for December Sonoma with spares etc etc.

A throw back from 2011 when it was still m20b25 and put down 154rwhp 157torx on the MCE dyno at thunderhill post race.

Comment

This is really cool. +1 for doing something different. This is definitely a good option for someone rebuilding an M50/M52 that wants a lighter engine, but doesn't want the complexity of the wiring. I'm assuming it'd make the same amount of power as a M52B28 de-restricted?
                          Originally posted by Melon
                          Engine work takes patience and finesse.

Suspension work takes anger, a big fucking hammer, and a torch.

Comment

Originally posted by CMBusch View Post
                            This is really cool. +1 for doing something different. This is definitely a good option for someone rebuilding an M50/M52 that wants a lighter engine, but doesn't want the complexity of the wiring. I'm assuming it'd make the same amount of power as a M52B28 de-restricted?

We had a m52b28 in there prior and the m54b28 makes a little more midrange power, little less top end.... likely from the slightly different head ports.

The cams, manifolds, electronics were all re-used; mainly because of lack of time —>using easiest available resources (this m54b28)

Comment

Thanks for the update!

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                              @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
                              X