Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great thread! From where did you source the new evap core? Thanks
    R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
    └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by iwantspeed View Post
      very cool project just re read it.

i have an oil cooler line weeping too

i kinda want to convert it to AN hoses
      but this seems like a good fix too.
      Thanks man!

Honestly, I think doing AN lines with a aftermarket oil cooler is the ideal way to go. Especially, since it seems a few members have proved the stock oil cooler isn't all that effective.

I decided to do it this way because it was cheap and resulted in no downtime. So from that perspective it's great! It also kept me from taking on another project in the Texas heat ;) haha!

Originally posted by Aleman View Post
      Great thread! From where did you source the new evap core? Thanks
      Thanks! I ordered it from FCPEuro, here's the part number: 64518391780

Comment

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
        R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
        └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

Comment

So I spent a couple hours going through your thread. I have read it in the past but needed a detailed refresher since you have added more info when you updated the pics. Great work so far, like others have mentioned your work makes me want to work on my car. Although a lot of it seems like a pain I know the reward of it working is much greater in the end. Sub'd to this thread and look forward to hearing more on your progress!
          1992 325i Convertible - "project"
          1994 325is - Daily

Comment

Originally posted by DBShiznit View Post
            So I spent a couple hours going through your thread. I have read it in the past but needed a detailed refresher since you have added more info when you updated the pics. Great work so far, like others have mentioned your work makes me want to work on my car. Although a lot of it seems like a pain I know the reward of it working is much greater in the end. Sub'd to this thread and look forward to hearing more on your progress!
            Thanks dude! That means a lot.

Over the past few years I've had plenty of pain points along the build, the oil pan fiascoes and my AC system in particular come to mind, but the longer I've stuck with it the easier and more enjoyable it's become. Especially now that I'm at the point where I can pick up projects when I want to and not out of necessity.

Prior to picking up the car I had only changed the oil on the family minivan... which I actually fucked up by double-oringing the oil filter :rofl: So really, I came into this with zero experience.

It's definitely nice to know the thread motivates people to get wrenching and hopefully it inspires others to pick-up a wrench to begin with!

Comment

Originally posted by zwill23 View Post
              Thanks dude! That means a lot.

Over the past few years I've had plenty of pain points along the build, the oil pan fiascoes and my AC system in particular come to mind, but the longer I've stuck with it the easier and more enjoyable it's become. Especially now that I'm at the point where I can pick up projects when I want to and not out of necessity.

Prior to picking up the car I had only changed the oil on the family minivan... which I actually fucked up by double-oringing the oil filter :rofl: So really, I came into this with zero experience.

It's definitely nice to know the thread motivates people to get wrenching and hopefully it inspires others to pick-up a wrench to begin with!

It’s funny you say that since that’s how I started myself lol I haven’t taken the head off of a engine yet however this winter I’m hoping I can rebuild my M20.

This was when I changed my oil pan gasket and that was the most I’ve ever been involved in a motor lol like you my e30 is also teaching me a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              1992 325i Convertible - "project"
              1994 325is - Daily

Comment

Originally posted by DBShiznit View Post
                It’s funny you say that since that’s how I started myself lol I haven’t taken the head off of a engine yet however this winter I’m hoping I can rebuild my M20.

This was when I changed my oil pan gasket and that was the most I’ve ever been involved in a motor lol like you my e30 is also teaching me a lot
                Hah! Awesome, that exposed engine bottom is an all too familiar sight.

Taking the head off is a cool experience, gives you an idea of the engine condition based on the cylinder cross hatching and all that. Good luck with it!

Comment

Man, this is an epic thread. I think those euroweaves have been in many garages in Austin... I know I put zero miles on them when I bought and then resold them to Kid8. But at least my car looked good for a bit!

I'll probably be hitting you up for rear subframe help at some point
                  Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
                  COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Originally posted by rjmcdermott81 View Post
                    Man, this is an epic thread. I think those euroweaves have been in many garages in Austin... I know I put zero miles on them when I bought and then resold them to Kid8. But at least my car looked good for a bit!

I'll probably be hitting you up for rear subframe help at some point
                    Ahh sorry, I missed this!

Hah! Those euroweaves get around. If I had to bet they might end up sitting in Kid8's garage again one day, one of the stipulations buying them was that he has first dibs if I sell them ;)

Definitely! Happy to lend a hand, I've become a little too well-versed with it at this point haha.

Comment

E30 Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous

Knocked out some small things over the past few months, nothing very notable but figured I would share with y'all. This is more an "E30 life" update, if nothing else.

Decided to make my rear strut bar functional with an added cargo net. I've had things rolling around in the trunk for far too long, so this is a bigger deal than it appears!

While I was working in the trunk I went ahead and removed the weight balancing / sound deadening tar. A scraper and mallet worked just fine, conveniently coming out in pretty big chunks. Overall, only about a half hour job.

Well I'll be damned, the internet was right! Weighed right in at 51 lbs.

Done. This exposed a few surface rust areas that I need to address yet, I'll put down some POR15 to seal it up.

I traded Kid8 some speakers to borrow his buffer and use his buffing supplies, Julien noted my paint job might be somewhat salvageable with a buffer and some elbow grease. Sure enough, the difference is night and day. The paint is still quite rough, but comparatively it's much much better.

After a quick first pass:

Results after an hour of buffing! I actually think I can bring some more shine out of it yet, I ended up spending more time on the left side of the hood and it shows :rofl::

Overall, I'd say I've gone from a 100ft car to a 50ft car ;)

Slapped a cup holder from "cup o fanatic" in the e-brake cubby to make the car a bit more livable. I've been stuffing this thing full of coffee ever since.

Comes with some double sided tape to secure it:

Gave myself a mild headlight boost by retrofitting some 9012 bulbs into my ellipsoids with 9006 bulbs. Based on info I found here:

Retrofitting is a pretty simple process, just requires some filing to make the 9012 bulbs fit the 9006 slots:

Before filing (9012 left, 9006 right):

After filing:

Ready to install.

I never took pics of before and after shots - doh! But I'd say overall I have about 20-25% better light output than before. A mild improvement, but an improvement nonetheless.

West Texas Road Trip!

Over thanksgiving my girlfriend and I had some time off work so we decided to blast out to West Texas for a casual four day and 1200 mile road trip.

The main highlights we wanted to see were checking out some small Texas art towns - Alpine and Marfa, as well as some site seeing at the McConnel observatory, Big Bend, and the Terilingua ghost town.

Before setting off I put the car on jack stands and gave everything a look over, but was hard pressed to find any issues. I ended up adjusting my power steering belt, rotating the tires, and noting that I could use a new set of front brake pads.

Other than that I removed the roof rack and euroweave caps to get the ol'girl in road trip mode.

Andddd we're off, we were practically the only people on the road thanksgiving day.

By 12:30pm we were nearing Alpine so we of course had to stop for celebratory donuts ;D

I swear I didn't kick stones at my gf on purpose...

After a thanksgiving picnic complete with chicken salad sandwiches and some beers at a local park, we checked into our airbnb and explored Alpine.

Next day, we checked out the McConnell Observatory:

Found this sweet old chevy parked there:

Blitzed scenic route 166! Side note: Route 166 and the road toward / past McConnel Observatory is an awesome road complete with 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear turns to keep you on your toes!

Random stop to sneak some beers out the cooler:

anddd back in Alpine where we grilled some grub:

More beers and a view from Big Bend brewing:

Next day, we drove out to Big Bend and stopped in Marathon along the way.

Found this coach built E21 vert wasting away.

Rip

After checking out a dinosaur bone exhibit we made it to the "The Window" in Big Bend!

Had to snap a couple pics of the hotrod:

Next stop was Terilingua where we found some goodies:

View of Big Bend from Terilingua:

Last day I spotted this awesome jeep in Marfa and spent wayy too much money on a hand made knife. At least I made it home with a cool souvenir ;)

Heading home!

Overall, the car did amazing throughout the drive. There was one point where the coolant temp spiked into the red to give me a fun scare, but a quick check of the PODI gauge showed operating temps were normal. A tap of the temp gauge and it settled back into the middle position.

As for fuel consumption, cruising at a steady 85mph and 3.5k rpms I was getting about 22mpg a tank, and backing back down to 3k rpms and 75mph or so I was pulling 25-26 mpg a tank. I'd say that's right on the money and a fairly happy M20 :).

Other impressions are road noise was a bit loud, but we were in a damn box pushing 80 the whole time so not much of a surprise there. Some additional sound deadening and addressing my torn side window seals would make a difference I bet.

Since the last trip to New Orleans the sound system update, phone holder, and cup holder made the E30 a road trip machine. Paired with a trunk that I swear will swallow anything, it made for a great trip!

Should have some fun project updates on the way after New Year
                      Last edited by zwill23; 11-29-2018, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Awesome road trip! My family used to go camping at Fort Davis when I was young, and we'd always go to the observatory. Last time I was out there was before I got Ruby and I'd love to take her up those roads! There's a pretty sweet little camp ground in Fort Davis park, and there's even a native American hotel type spot in the park if you don't feel like roughing it.

Good work on the pain! Glad to see your car's still pootin' along!

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Levy3Poop View Post
                          Awesome road trip! My family used to go camping at Fort Davis when I was young, and we'd always go to the observatory. Last time I was out there was before I got Ruby and I'd love to take her up those roads! There's a pretty sweet little camp ground in Fort Davis park, and there's even a native American hotel type spot in the park if you don't feel like roughing it.

Good work on the pain! Glad to see your car's still pootin' along!

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
                          I would like to plan another trip out there, four days wasn't nearly long enough. The camping in Big Bend looked like it would have been unreal. I bet camping in Fort Davis would be great too... and probably not completely booked all the time like Big Bend is.

The roads were definitely a treat, I didn't realize the Texas landscape could be so beautiful. ;) It really did feel like the Wild West.

Thanks! It could use some more work, or realistically a new paint job, but I've been starting to tackle the sad state of the exterior. It's about time the exterior matched how strong of a runner she is!

Comment

Looking good man, glad she treated you well on the trip!! Lets plan a camping trip.

Comment

Originally posted by kid8 View Post
                              Looking good man, glad she treated you well on the trip!! Lets plan a camping trip.
                              Thanks dude!

Let's do it, still gotta scoop that tent from ya for epic camping adventures.

Comment

Long time no update, still buzzin' around living the daily life and slowly but surely improving the car. I'm nearing 40k miles since I first got it running and it's been soldiering on without too much fuss. Over the past 5k miles I did have a timing belt tensioner fail and some fuel leaks pop up on some rebuilt injectors I got on the forum. Rebuilt injectors are a gamble and these lasted me 15k miles or so, but I am pretty miffed about the timing belt tensioner. There has been some forum chatter about these failing prematurely, so I am bit leery about the quality of the new one too.

Anyway, onto some updates!

Over the winter I converted the car to run on a Megasquirt PNP with the help of a variable TPS, IAT sensor, and a wideband, which was fun but I ran into some issues with the unit staying on while the car was off. After some troubleshooting on R3v and with DIYAutotune I ended up reverting back to Motronic and sending the Megasquirt out for repairs.

Troubleshooting thread:

That process took a couple of months and I still haven't reinstalled it, mainly because I don't really need it at the moment. I'll install it again in the future when the car has more work done to it.

Short lived Megasquirt life:

As I mentioned earlier, my timing belt tensioner failed around the 30k mile mark forcing me to do a timing belt change. I initally thought the issue was the bearing in the water pump because I would get a squeak every time I started the car that seemed to go away after it warmed up. Well, it wasn't the pump, the squeak was the timing belt rubbing on the back side of the timing case. The tensioner didn't fail completely and I imagine the belt would reseat itself when I started driving a bit.

Fortunately, I caught this early but it would have sucked to lose the motor on a road trip or something.

I only grabbed a few pics of the timing belt change since I was powering through it.

Exposed belt and failing tensioner:

My cam shaft seal dust cover cracked and was making noisy vibrations so I changed that too:

Cleaned up the timing case and put it all back together. The only thing good about this job is that I essentially did it for free because of FCPs lifetime program. Felt pretty good to get all my money back on wear items

I had an intermittent fuel leak at the manifold pop up that was also driving me nuts; I tried swapping o-rings on the injectors but the leak(s) persisted. After pulling the rail in and out a few times without solving the issue, I caved and got a new rail and another set of rebuilt injectors from GB Remanufacturing. I really don't like dealing with fuel leaks and running the chance of losing the project.

Fresh parts!

Swapped it over my lunch break :rofl:

While I was in there I wanted to address a rocker that was particularly noisy that I identified with a mechanic scope. I thought the eccentric was worn flat, but top of the valve was mushroomed... not cool.

This M20 has always been a bit tickier than others I've heard, but lots of people claim they're suppose to tick so I chalked it up to that. Pretty sure what really happened is the first time I ever did a valve adjustment I didn't adjust this valve correctly and ran it loose for too long.

To put a band-aid on it, I replaced the eccentric and I'm running a slightly tighter than spec - .009" or so. The engine is MUCH quieter now. I'm just going to keep running it, I don't suspect it'll get much worse than it already has.

Beyond that stuff I've just been swapping more junkyard parts onto the car.

Replaced my broken auxiliary fuse holder:

Replaced the vert door cards I've been running with some nice ones from a wrecked 318is, I'm excited not to have this gap anymore:

Fresh and clean:

Installed a hood release cable, it was a bitch getting that little grommet through the firewall:

Installed, it's pretty great to not need a screw driver to pop the hood anymore :p

Managed to find a functioning oil level sensor in the yard too, I swapped the harness over as well because mine was butchered by the PO.

Snipped out the whack wiring harness:

Voila!

For those with the OEM or die mentality, scored some clips and bmw hose clamps. v fresh, v factory.

Coolant overflow hose holder:

ICV holder and bimmer hose clamps:

Replaced the vapor barriers cause mine were nasty. I used a shower liner and cut it to the shape of my old one.

Transported some more mattresses:

Then I had a mini photoshoot with friends (Thanks kid8!)

Comment

Working...
                                X