Diff rebuild difficulty.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diff rebuild difficulty.

I am throwing this thread here because it pertains to my 24v swap and the drivetrain section gets no traffic. Mods feel free to move this.
    My 3.46lsd is starting to make a loud annoying chirping sound when coasting down in gear. If I clutch in it goes away. I have put the car in the air and traced the noise to the diff. My diff also isn’t locking up (breakaway <25 ft lbs). Either way, time for a rebuild. I am fairly mechanically competent. I’ve done swaps, 24v cam installs, vanos rebuilds, head removal, timing belts etc etc. The only e30 specific jobs I haven’t tackled are diff or engine rebuild. Armed with the right guides/videos/tools, how hard is it? I plan on a 3 clutch setup. I will swap in another diff (anyone have one? Open ok) while I do the rebuild so no rush. What’s the hardest part? How many hours should I allot?
    "Broke into the wrong God damn rec room, didn't ya you bastard!"

This will give you some inspiration

Comment

Originally posted by Rugbyfan View Post
      I am throwing this thread here because it pertains to my 24v swap and the drivetrain section gets no traffic. Mods feel free to move this.

My 3.46lsd is starting to make a loud annoying chirping sound when coasting down in gear. If I clutch in it goes away. I have put the car in the air and traced the noise to the diff. My diff also isn’t locking up (breakaway <25 ft lbs). Either way, time for a rebuild. I am fairly mechanically competent. I’ve done swaps, 24v cam installs, vanos rebuilds, head removal, timing belts etc etc. The only e30 specific jobs I haven’t tackled are diff or engine rebuild. Armed with the right guides/videos/tools, how hard is it? I plan on a 3 clutch setup. I will swap in another diff (anyone have one? Open ok) while I do the rebuild so no rush. What’s the hardest part? How many hours should I allot?

Alot enough time to do it twice or 3x If you have never setup a diff before

Read the Bmw factory tis on the setup and understand it before diving in.
      OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Working...
      X