Bad boosters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad boosters?

I am having the worst luck with used brake boosters for the 24v swap on my 323. The 944 booster caused the brakes to drag and eventually lock up. We swapped masters and shortened the rod length and still had the same problem so I went the E90 route figuring the double booster would be better, newer and offer more clearance. Put the E90 booster in and there's some sort of internal vacuum leak. Now I'm hearing that the 944 and E90 boosters are failure prone. Seems there are two modes of failure, failure to boost mode and being stuck in boost mode.

Before the swap, I had never even heard of brake boosters going bad but seems I'm experiencing this with 2 different used boosters. I don't know if they were bad or damaged in shipping. I'm going to try a known working E90 booster next before buying new but I'm curious if any others have experienced issues with boosters.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Buy an ix booster and e34 m5 master cylinder. Seriously. Best combination ever.
    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Any way to test before dropping the motor in? Hoping to not run into the same

Comment

Put a vacuum pump on it.

Then see if it behaves. Pretty easy.

Problem is, it's usually the valve in the booster,
        and it'll work for a while, and then start to misbehave

t
        has a Ford- replaces boosters regularly
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
        X