Garagistic E30 adjustable Rear Subframe exchange program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ak- View Post
    After it's aligned, small tack weld so it won't move.
    Garagistic makes their eccentric washers out of aluminum, can't tack to steel bolts.

Originally posted by jph View Post
    No offense, but I’m not sure this is a great idea for a couple of reasons. First is the next time an alignment is needed it’s pretty much impossible without grinding off the tacks and second welding that close to the gas tank is not advisable. Also refer to gas tank comment when considering grinding off tack welds for later adjustment. Getting a wrench in to make adjustments is difficult enough (pretty much impossible for passenger toe with gas tank installed), let alone a grinder to remove welds down the road.

If you plan to always run the same tires, tire pressures, and ride height, and if you also plan for your suspension to never get old and settle, then maybe this makes sense...but only after tack welding with the gas tank removed.

I have been fabricating on cars for years, and never had an issue with welding near the fuel tank. Only 1 of the ~15 or so cars I put a roll cage in had the tank removed, and that was only because it was getting a fuel cell.

I have no issue tightening the nut down using an "S" shaped starter wrench.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Specs attached
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

I have been fabricating on cars for years, and never had an issue with welding near the fuel tank. Only 1 of the ~15 or so cars I put a roll cage in had the tank removed, and that was only because it was getting a fuel cell.

I have no issue tightening the nut down using an "S" shaped starter wrench.
        You're probably right. I learned from my dad who is overly cautious about stuff like that. I see muffler shops do it all the time I guess so it can't be that unsafe.

Maybe a TIG tack would be a safer bet but still I don't really see the ned to tack those bolts anyway.

I'll have to try the starter wrench method. I ended up modifying a box wrench and it still wasn't enough for me to make adjustments. Had to pull my gas tank for a fuel system revamp so adjusted the passenger toe when it was out. Very easy without the fuel tank in the way.

Comment

Please send back your cores! We are running a bit low!

Comment

Got a few cores in stock, modified and ready to go to powder coat!

Comment

Working...
            X