Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great. Looks like I need a chrome window trim piece.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the extra valves are making too much suction on the roof, so it is ripping it off.

No, seriously, there is a little clip that goes in there, like 10mm long, with big wicked teeth.

Or, at least that is the case with 2 different '87s that I know of...

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Bumping this from the dead... I went to start my car this morning and noticed that the passenger side window trim had mysteriously popped out overnight.

I tried muscling it back in to place but it pops right back out. How is this piece actually supposed to be held in? I don't see any clips or anything like that, at least on the front part. It's unattached from where the piece starts up until the curve at the front of the roof.

I have it taped down for now, but I'm wondering what I need to do to reattach it for real. Any advice would be appreciated

Comment

This happened to me recently too. The passenger side trim came loose exactly as you described. It made all sorts of wind noise. Fortunately I was not going 120 mph (!) so the piece stayed attached. If I find a good solution I will post. Good luck.

Comment

I haven't found a good solution. I'm about to try a few dabs a Loctite Blue (242) or possibly Purple (222).

Comment

Old thread, but I thought this might help somebody out there. Someone earlier in this thread suggested silicone, and it worked for me. I used a product called Loctite Silicone Adhesive Sealant. GL

Comment

For the sake of posterity, and anyone who might stumble across this thread in the future, there are ~4-5 clips that snap inside the front 1/3 of the rain gutter piece that you need to replace. BMW part number 51131863499. When new, these little guys have sharp teeth that grab on to the steel rain gutter and hold the trim in place. As they age, those little teeth rust off and this allows the trim to come loose. The act of prying the trim off of a parts car also helps dull the teeth on these clips, so that when you install a used piece on a different car, it just doesn't hold it like it should.

Here's a link to ECS with a pic of the clip (looks like they sell them in packs of 25 for ~$25), you should be able to buy them individually.

Comment

Working...
              X