All You Potential E30 Picnic Goers - READ HERE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All You Potential E30 Picnic Goers - READ HERE

Lance and I have been tossing around the idea of making the '08 E30 Picnic a 2 day event. We would keep the Sunday, June 8th essentially untouched from the regular picnic gathering, drive, food, giveaways, etc. We are thinking about making the day before, Saturday, June 7th, a tech day.

The tech day would have multiple sessions with different "how-to" presentations for various things like M/S5X swaps, valve adjustments, proper polishing and waxing techniques, etc. All the times for the presentations would be predetermined, so you can figure out when you would want to be there. I have already talked with Griot's and they said we can use the space if we wanted. They would also provide food and free use of car cleaning stuff for that final cleaning before the picnic day. The space also has a lift, which would allow presenters to potentially show you some of the areas of interest for their swap (not just some boring powerpoint or whatever).

Basically all we are trying to figure out now is if people would actually want to attend these things and what kinds of things you would want to see presentations on. Let me know what you all think.
    sigpic

I think that's an awesome idea:)
    91 318iS http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2396154

Comment

sounds good but my only problem would be the lodging for the two days
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by Wishno87 View Post
        sounds good but my only problem would be the lodging for the two days
        there are more than enough couches. nobody should have to pay for lodging that weekend. :D
        sigpic

Comment

I could do a demonstration for all the turbo newbs. I could explain different turbo charging methods and explain my setup. Give everyone an idea how everything is put together.

I could even explain my bumper swap as well.

Those two things seem to be big subjects for questions in PMs.
          :: PNW Crew ::
          '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Wow - that sounds like an awesome idea - we could get a real good exchange of ideas over swap items, and such. I did a few things in my swap that sadly fell short after review here, but being able to throw our cars on a lift to get another view would be great.

I like the idea of leaving Sunday just as it is, I like how it works - but adding a tech day before would be a real winner. I bet it would draw a lot of people that normally wouldn't come too, since the Sunday event isn't worth driving for most of the Cali people. It would be cool if we could get Trent to come, for instance.

I'm really shooting to get my car down there this year, even if it's not painted. I'm kinda sick of being so perfectionistic before showing it. I would love to be able to throw it on a lift & let people critique some of the stuff I've done.

It would be cool to learn 24v turbo/super principles as well. Not that I'm looking.

Great idea, Derek & Lance!

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

:D
              turbo guide is my main interest.
              after too much reading, my ideas are convoluted and to see at least one car setup, running would be great, also a price list of it would be beneficial
              valve adjustment, would be nice. Lots of people will be able to do a simple yet costly tune.
              :)

cleaning (sun provided) will always be a crowd pleaser.:D

good call.
              this is the kind of stuff that makes world headlines. we may have to pronounce a Little Germany
              (anyone have a bratwurst stand)
              Last edited by idanity; 10-27-2007, 03:54 AM.
              3 pedal club
              200,k+ club
              cabrio club
              port-matched- polished- purring www.BMWpark.org

</div>

linux since 1999

Comment

Sounds like a good idea, I just hope that I would be able to get enough time off work to do that, since it would push the whole caravan going up there forward a day. Hmm.

Comment

sounds great guys

Comment

Sounds awesome to me! I'd love to see one of the popular motor swaps done over the weekend. I can't wait.

Comment

and the turbo tech session would be amazing, if I can get all my parts by than

I volunteer my car for the turbo install over the weekend if someone wants to do it

Jani

Comment

great idea
                        sigpic
                        24v swapped

Comment

Good plan guys!

I dont think this is an event where multiple cars would be on the lift, but moreso a couple to show different setups and strategies.

How about any judging on Sunday?

Sounds good. Loads of PMs about things get tiresome after a while.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Janissarie View Post
                            and the turbo tech session would be amazing, if I can get all my parts by than

I volunteer my car for the turbo install over the weekend if someone wants to do it
                            Originally posted by E30 Groupie View Post
                            I dont think this is an event where multiple cars would be on the lift, but moreso a couple to show different setups and strategies.

How about any judging on Sunday?

Sounds good. Loads of PMs about things get tiresome after a while.

Curt is right. This wouldn't be installation time. It would be a time for someone who has installed a turbo, swaped an M/S5X, stroked an M20, adjusted valves, changed oil, changed a wheel bearing, replaced fluids, etc to teach others how to do it.

This would allow people to understand how to do these things so they can decide whether or not they want to do the swap, ask any questions they may have, and hopefully make caring for/upgrading our e30s easier.

Curt, I don't think there is anything in place for doing a judged section at the picnic next year. I think the main reason is that it is a PITA to judge all entered cars and make classifications. If you can find somebody that is willing to undergo the task of organizing a concourse section and have judges then I bet Lance would be cool with having it. If it were me, I wouldn't try to judge all the cars. I would allow people to enter there cars to be judged with some sort of qualification so everyone doesn't enter just to enter.
                            sigpic

Comment

How about a tech minute on electricals/ICE?

I would be way down for that, or even a full alarm install.

I think I would come up Friday and find a cheap motel. Fuck couch surfing!

Luke

Closing SOON!
                              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X