No announcement yet.

Official M3 M4 specifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is the sprayed coating i see about in the cylinder walls instead of the use of liners?

Comment

i'm a big fan of bmw and don't give a shit about the m4 name.

a car is a car. call it a dildo, i'd still drive the hell out of it.

Comment

Alot more here!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by evandael View Post
          call it a dildo, i'd still drive the hell out of it.
          world renown Harry Potter expert
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
            what is the sprayed coating i see about in the cylinder walls instead of the use of liners?

The coating material is fed down, think of it like with welding. The wires are charged, and an arc at the gap between the tips of the two wires liquefies the area where they meet. An inert gas is sprayed behind to propel and atomize, and the material "freezes" on the surface (of the cylinder wall in the case of the liner application).

The result is a coating that is very dense and hard, but also much thinner than you could get with a conventional sleeve. All in the name of saving weight.

Comment

That is some crazy engineering right there with the spray material

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4
              M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

I just hope that coating isnt the new nikasil.
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

This is what I like to see in an m3!! This engine is beastly! They chose to go back to their signature I6 design and slap a snail on that bish! I want to drive one sooooo bad!

FREE BITCOINS!! http://qoinpro.com/71690d1639966bfbf223bf16538cec21
                  Originally posted by scabzzzz
                  I stand up, pull my dick out, and asked my gf to give me some noggin... Well, she starts laughing at me and I freaked out and ran off and locked myself in a bedroom.
                  1989 325i - Project/weekend driver
                  2002 325i - DD
                  2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

Comment

Originally posted by butters View Post
                    Modifying cars is fun, but can be tiresome and problematic. I have started to look at M cars as the ultimate goal in that they need not be messed with, because M Gmbh have already done the highly-engineered tweaking, and this is in itself a luxury.
                    The number one reason I am a car enthusiast is because I enjoy modifying things and making it my own. I was the type of kid that enjoyed building a Lego model, not playing with it after. Cars are my "adult" Lego.

I would much rather start with a lower model, cheaper car, then modify it how I want with the money I saved. I think often times you will end up with a better car for the same amount of money (better is in the eye of the beholder however).

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                      The number one reason I am a car enthusiast is because I enjoy modifying things and making it my own. I was the type of kid that enjoyed building a Lego model, not playing with it after. Cars are my "adult" Lego.
                      I can completely relate and was a Lego kid myself, which led me into engineering and developing a fascination with how mechanical systems come together and work, mainly with cars. I suppose I'm a car enthusiast moreso because I enjoy understanding how engineering has made a car perform better - be it by my own wrenching or the extensive R&D of the designers - and seeing/feeling the results. I would be overwhelmed to possess a new M3 and would simply drive it as BMW intended and be in awe of how good it is. At least for a long while ;D

For sure there will be a vast aftermarket - just look at cars like the R8, Lamborghinis, M5/M6, E9x M3 (VF, ESS, Gintani, G-Power etc). Where there is a will and enough cash flow, there is a way.

For me, my E30 definitely scratches the Lego itch and then some :)

Comment

sure, but for the most part modding a modern sports car is more about how much money you are willing to blow (and how much you want to show off), than any undertaking by the individual to work on the car and improve it themselves.

drive up to a shop, write a 5 figure check, pick it up 3 weeks later with the newest wiz-bang go fast parts. I don't think that's the sprit of what Andrew is saying and I think most here would agree.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                          one really interesting thing I saw was the CO2 emissions - the newest M3 is back down to almost where the E30 M3 was 25 years ago. huh? you mean cars from the 80's had lower C02 emissions than cars designed in the "green" era?
                          Well, it had half the power output, so if you were to look at it from a combustion reaction efficiency standpoint, it's been roughly doubled with the S55.

Originally posted by whysimon
                          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

yeah, I was more looking at where the M3 was between the E30 and F80 (or whatever it is these days).

you could drive around a stock E30 M3 and on the basis of Co2 emissions, you'd technically be driving a "green" car. :p
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              sure, but for the most part modding a modern sports car is more about how much money you are willing to blow (and how much you want to show off), than any undertaking by the individual to work on the car and improve it themselves.
                              Modern cars can definitely be modded if you want to get your hands dirty, but you have emissions laws making it much more difficult to do so and retain street-legal status.

BMWs have long been a hands-off kind of car. Dinan has been selling extremely expensive mod packages for eons.

If you want cars you can still tinker with and build up like Lego right now you'd have to look to Honda / Subaru and the domestics (GM/Ford).

Originally posted by whysimon
                              WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by 89AlpineM3 View Post
                                This motor is nothing like the N54/N55 true they started with that but if you go to bimmerpost and look at the full breakdown of the motor it is a completely new unit with ALOT of tech in it. Yes I hate the M4 name and that would be my first mod before it left the lot delete that and put on an M3 badge lol
                                Lol Seriously. Pretty cool new car but I can't get over the fact that the M3 has four doors and the M4 two. Asinine.

Comment

Working...
                                X