The r3v autocross video thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mohmoh62 View Post
    this is my 4th autocross and i'm looking for any tips on how to be quicker. this course was very tight and the 4 turns to lock steering was a handful ( i'm in the process of swapping an e46 rack in now).
    the car is an 87 325is with a 2.7i and a holset h1c; 205/50/r15 nitto neogen tires on 15x7 wheels. it spools around 3800 in 2nd gear and comes in like a truck which makes it more difficult to use.

i was a little under 4 seconds behind the leader in my class and times across all classes ranged about 10 seconds total difference. i know there's room for a lot of improvement on my driving and with the car setup, so if there are any tips you could give i'm all ears!

Tips?

-dump the shit neogens.
    -dump the 15x7's. Run a 15x8 and 225/45/15 hankook rs3's
    -buy some ground control coil overs
    -change the turbo out to something that spools lower and more gradually

Driving looked pretty good with the above limitations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Forgot about this thread. GF's dad wanted me to go to PCA autocross with him and my e30 is still all sorts of taken apart, so I took my new to me e39 m5. Bought it Thursday, put GC's and wheels/tires on it Friday, aligned Saturday and autocross. The car was a lot better than I thought it would be, I ended up doing alright for 3900 lbs and 300 TW tires

- '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by mohmoh62 View Post
        this is my 4th autocross and i'm looking for any tips on how to be quicker. this course was very tight and the 4 turns to lock steering was a handful ( i'm in the process of swapping an e46 rack in now).
        the car is an 87 325is with a 2.7i and a holset h1c; 205/50/r15 nitto neogen tires on 15x7 wheels. it spools around 3800 in 2nd gear and comes in like a truck which makes it more difficult to use.

i was a little under 4 seconds behind the leader in my class and times across all classes ranged about 10 seconds total difference. i know there's room for a lot of improvement on my driving and with the car setup, so if there are any tips you could give i'm all ears!

Eric has some good tuning advice. As for the driving, the biggest thing I can tell you is to look ahead try to be earlier on the elements. I know the stock e30 rack isn't doing you any favors on the latter, especially on a course that tight, but you'd be amazed getting the car rotated earlier will do for your times.
        88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
        We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

Autocross session at El-Toro in Orange County. Special appearance by Sh3pak!ng in the beginning and adding about 2 minutes to the video by taking out the finish line!

I had fun, and theres a lot left in me and a little left in the car. Needs Dunlops in front to match the rear. The front tires were plowing
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I haven't taken much video of auto-x's since my M3 has been down, but I've been incredibly lucky to have friends that let me hammer on their cars!

My friend Eugene let me drive his very very very nicely setup E36 M3

And last weekend my other buddy "Glenn Shelly" let me drive his S54 MCoupe

Comment

That e36 looks happy! Good shocks and lots of front camber?
              - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Yeah, Eugene has it extremely well setup. He's the type that carries a notebook and writes everything down and weigh/balances the pro/cons of everything he does. This year he asked a oval speed shop for an auto-X setup. He says the rear toe-in makes it twitchy and unstable on track, but the thing hooks up ions crazy on auto-X courses.

No power on oversteer and very vary little understeer, the car is just sublime!

Comment

Just found this thread. Quickest run from my last event a few weeks ago. I seriously need to get rid of the OE rack and put the rack from my e36 into it.

First run of the set starts around 50 seconds, 2nd run (quicker) starts around 4:26

Comment

Does RallyX qualify...?

Comment

Originally posted by Beej '86 325es View Post
                      BMWCCA auto-x this year in Indy. This was probably the most challenging course I've run. FTD.
                      It was even tighter when in a land yacht, especially one with a sluggish / half-operational power steering (clogged filter or low on fluid). Forgot to put the open back cover on the GoPro so it was a silent film, so added in background musak:

Not sure who chose to park after the finish line... but glad they finally moved their cars...

The second to last Auto-X I did in my prior E30:

Another tight BMWCCA course keeps thehands busy. Especially when the front subframe is cracked and resting part of it on the steering rack...

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                        And last weekend my other buddy "Glenn Shelly" let me drive his S54 MCoupe
                        I didn't know they did Auto-X in that parking lot, pretty sweet.

Of course, I've never seen that lot not a) full and b) covered in snow.

Comment

Yeah, it's small, but really good! The off camber/elevation/pavement irregularities make it challenging

Comment

speed ventures autocross ftd and my friend Margaret riding with me.

-
                            Project
                            Parts for Sale
                            Feedback
                            YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                            X