Questions for E30 drifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions for E30 drifters

I want to know 3 things in as much depth as possible.

1) TOTAL suspension setup (spring rates, dampener settings, etc)

2) Power level, hp/tq liters, power delivery, etc

3) your general ideas on how your setup works and doesn't work and how it can be improved

Go

ask Joacim Flatby Nielsen.

Very short promo video of Joacim Flatby Nielsen's BMW 325 Turbo E30 drift spec'd car. freshly re-built and ready for the 2011 season! Check out my article…

hes got 305 hp.

'89 BMW 325is | '02 Mitsubishi Montero Limited | '2005 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax | 2007 BMW M5
    my feedback thread

Comment

I want a compilation of as many people as possible. I've been trying to create a "drift formula" for E30s and drifting. To do this, a large sample size and quality of information is essential.

Comment

Share your videos with friends, family, and the world

Comment

Getting the stiffest springs you can get, and get as much power you can get, then go as low as you can go. Done.

Comment

Originally posted by Dude View Post
            Getting the stiffest springs you can get, and get as much power you can get, then go as low as you can go. Done.
            stiff rear, soft front , and power

Comment

when i was drifting my m52 car i had billie sports all around, -3 camber in the front m3 offset bushings 22mm rear sway with 2.5"x6" 550f 650r springs.

drivetrain was stock m52b28 m3 zf trans and a 3.73lsd

thing was WAAAAAY rowdy.

Comment

The things I've learned over years of sliding the e30 are these.

#1 Make sure the car is in good working order. By that I mean don’t rig anything and do things right. I’ve lost counts how many cars I’ve seen hit the track and go home on a flatbed because normal basic maintenance is not done on them.
                By that I mean good bushings not some 20 year old bushings and a car that leaks fluid and overheats everywhere. You would be amazed what full poly all around does for the car, along with basic maintenance.

#2 Even with high spring rates the e30 still has a lot of body roll for my taste. So a set of sways is a must.

#3 Rear camber and toe sucks on the stock sub frame. Buy some good weld in adjusters and do a alignment on your car. Some negative camber is ok, but too much makes the car handle like crap.

#4 Steering rack upgrade. The stock rack is fine for occasional drift events, but a faster rack always helps, especially for higher speed tracks. Doing manjis and connecting drifts isn’t too bad in 2nd gear. Things happen a lot faster though in the top of 3rd gear.

#5 Ebrake, get yourself a hydro and save yourself the hassle. Trust me even if you don’t use the ebrake now, you’ll start too. It allows you enter with a faster speed and have earlier entry’s.

All of this though is a very basic overview of things you should do. Above all though seat time is your best friend. Go out have fun, if you spin out laugh smile and try again.
                Try to drive like you’re bored behind the wheel, if you let yourself get too hyped up and excited you’re going to make a mistake. Have fun and stay safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Dude View Post
                  too low isn't good, even for drifting.
                  '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                  NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                  Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Can you guys be a bit more specific about your setups? I'm not looking for tips/tricks, I'm looking for what setup makes the E30 drift best. Simply "low and stiff" isn't specific enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
                      too low isn't good, even for drifting.
                      Correct you want your arms to stay as flat as possible. If the rear is too low and slammed it won’t handle good. Not to mention your diff and half shaft will be closer to the ground, meaningless clearance, things you can hit etc.

Akg makes sub frame bushings that raises the rear sub frame, which fixes camber issues and gives you better geometry in the rear.

Comment

good dampers (bilstein sports, koni's)
                        coils (400-500f/500-700r)
                        camber plates in front (-3*)
                        weld in adjusters in the rear (1/16" toe in, -1* camber)
                        sway bars, rear is just fine (i ran a 22mm)
                        my usual tire size was 215-225 (i had a bit more torque than an m20 though)
                        replace all bushings
                        and like gangsta said, GET A FASTER RACK.

Comment

This is my ideal setup for a daily driven car that sees the track on the weekend.
                          Spring rates 600 front 750 rears
                          ie 22 19 sways.
                          Set the sways according to how you want the car to rotate. Based on what it is doing. ( understeering, oversteering etc. )
                          - 2 in the rear and -2 in the front for camber.
                          And i run a 32-34 psi all around. Tire temp goes up while sliding.

And if you really wanna get crazy find a shop that corner balances track cars and have that done.

Also steering mods are always nice, knuckle modifications, ackerman etc.

Comment

Originally posted by e30 gangsta View Post
                            The things I've learned over years of sliding the e30 are these.

#1 Make sure the car is in good working order. By that I mean don’t rig anything and do things right. I’ve lost counts how many cars I’ve seen hit the track and go home on a flatbed because normal basic maintenance is not done on them.
                            By that I mean good bushings not some 20 year old bushings and a car that leaks fluid and overheats everywhere. You would be amazed what full poly all around does for the car, along with basic maintenance.

#2 Even with high spring rates the e30 still has a lot of body roll for my taste. So a set of sways is a must.

#3 Rear camber and toe sucks on the stock sub frame. Buy some good weld in adjusters and do a alignment on your car. Some negative camber is ok, but too much makes the car handle like crap.

#4 Steering rack upgrade. The stock rack is fine for occasional drift events, but a faster rack always helps, especially for higher speed tracks. Doing manjis and connecting drifts isn’t too bad in 2nd gear. Things happen a lot faster though in the top of 3rd gear.

#5 Ebrake, get yourself a hydro and save yourself the hassle. Trust me even if you don’t use the ebrake now, you’ll start too. It allows you enter with a faster speed and have earlier entry’s.

All of this though is a very basic overview of things you should do. Above all though seat time is your best friend. Go out have fun, if you spin out laugh smile and try again.
                            Try to drive like you’re bored behind the wheel, if you let yourself get too hyped up and excited you’re going to make a mistake. Have fun and stay safe.

Everything said here was perfect. And all true from personal experience from mostly canyon drifting e30's.

This was Xmas 09 with some friends

sigpic(OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

Originally posted by NuthinFancy View Post

Good shit but dont even pretend like your recovered that haha.

Comment

Working...
                              X