Track Times Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robgoesvroom View Post
    So, I'm very curious - what times are the 24v NA guys running on buttonwillow CW13?
    the one guy we went with had a m50 vanos. He did about 2:17 or somwhere around there. For i think the last session he kept a corvette at bay the entire session. he would space it out in the cornering just enough for the corvette to not have enough passing time in the streights to pass. all depends on the driver i guess and tires.haha
    Last edited by E30_(1st Musk)_; 08-04-2011, 03:47 PM.
    ]

Comment

My e30:

Suspension:
      Ground control ~650/750
      never had a proper alignment

Engine:
      s52

Wheels and Tires:
      17x9 arc8 w/235/45 17 star spec square

Diff:
      3.25 LSD

TIMES:
      STREETS OF WILLOW (CW)= 1:31

That was my first track day ever. That car was really fast. With a good alignment I could probably run 26s in that car. I miss it :(

JJ

Comment

reasonably priced car day:

2009 nissan versa rental car; automatic 1.8 from alamo or budget rental (forgot)

7/30/2010 private track day.

buttonwillow clockwise 2:29; friends timing trackside.
        friend who split the rental day w me also ran 2:29

had another friend (much better driver than me) who managed 2:28 in the versa with a passenger.

modifications:

airbox filter removed
        hubcaps removed
        rear trunk area stripped : jack and spare removed trunk cover out. pannels left in, rear seats in.

I remember passing a e92M sedan in traffic who was in the wrong group while tank slapping the slalom lol

My stock e36M sedan on street tires+3.38 final drive+ hr coilovers was about 2:18-20 flat @ buttonwillow clockwise; full interior and AC. stock chip, stock brake pads. AA airbox, s52 intake manifold

Laguna Seca stock e36M with full interior and AC; HR coilovers on RT615 azenis (2009 compound 180 treadwear) 245/40/18
        1:50 with passenger timing. race pads, stock chip, s52 intake manifold, aa airbox, 3.38 final drive, 4 clutch LSD.
        Last edited by Wanganstyle; 08-04-2011, 09:07 AM.
        OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by JJ1 View Post
          My e30:

Suspension:
          Ground control ~650/750
          never had a proper alignment

Engine:
          s52

Wheels and Tires:
          17x9 arc8 w/235/45 17 star spec square

Diff:
          3.25 LSD

TIMES:
          STREETS OF WILLOW (CW)= 1:31

That was my first track day ever. That car was really fast. With a good alignment I could probably run 26s in that car. I miss it :(

JJ
          your a good driver my friend! thats a great time!
          Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
          reasonably priced car day:

2009 nissan versa rental car; automatic 1.8 from alamo or budget rental (forgot)

7/30/2010 private track day.

buttonwillow clockwise 2:29; friends timing trackside.
          friend who split the rental day w me also ran 2:29

had another friend (much better driver than me) who managed 2:28 in the versa with a passenger.

modifications:

airbox filter removed
          hubcaps removed
          rear trunk area stripped : jack and spare removed trunk cover out. pannels left in, rear seats in.

I remember passing a e92M sedan in traffic who was in the wrong group while tank slapping the slalom lol

My stock e36M sedan on street tires+3.38 final drive+ hr coilovers was about 2:18-20 flat @ buttonwillow clockwise; full interior and AC. stock chip, stock brake pads. AA airbox, s52 intake manifold

Laguna Seca stock e36M with full interior and AC; HR coilovers on RT615 azenis (2009 compound 180 treadwear) 245/40/18
          1:50 with passenger timing. race pads, stock chip, s52 intake manifold, aa airbox, 3.38 final drive, 4 clutch LSD.
          what configuration was buttonwillow?
          ]

Comment

Chassis/Car:
            '85 e30 (another bronzit!)

Suspension:
            Bilstein Sports / H&R Sports / IE f/r sway bars / PFC06 pads

Engine:
            m20B27 w/ Dinan chip

Wheels and Tires:
            15x7 Team Dynamics Motorsports w/ Dunlop Star Specs

Diff:
            3.23 LSD

TIMES:
            Buttonwillow 13CW: 2:31 (did mid-2:40's w/ bottlecaps, old all-seasons, no LSD)
            1985 325e, 74k miles (S52 w/ OBD1, Bistein Sports, H&R Sports, IE sways, 3.23 LSD, TD 15x7/Star Specs, Euro bumper conversion)
            1998 M3 (4dr, 5sp, TCKline) (sold)
            2002 325i (sold)
            2009 X5 3.0si

Comment

Originally posted by E30_(1st Musk)_ View Post
              your a good driver my friend! thats a great time!

what configuration was buttonwillow?
              clockwise configuration 13 for Nissan Versa, and for E36m @ buttonwillow.

you cut some lap time doing things never considered in a real car with a rental, i.e. just hitting things WOT and taking it like rally car (last berm on the slalom) in BW clockwise config 13.

I used the landing shock of jumping to make the garbage tire FF car turn. (severe trail braking corner before front straight)

**************** caution: I used "drifting" terms.

Another friend was chasing a friend in full RWD 2j powered drift car so he scandanavian flick'edthe trail braking corner (with the versa) as the drift car drifted it to front straight, the versa may have gotten more angle from the scandanavian flick lol

scandanavian flick = rally move where driver sends car one way and then slings it the other immediately (on purpose)

Versa chassis and brakes is actually quite good, I think I only managed to overheat the fluid a couple sessions.

******* This is referring to the corner when you are top of 3rd gear diving to a giant U that lands u @ beginning of slalom section

high G super extended corner before the slalom had me sometimes left foot braking sometimes to stop understeering when the tires were super super uuber cooked.

Front wheel drive cars cook the front tires because they are overworked (turn, brake, power)

********* caution rally term!

Left foot brake can be used in Rally or front wheel drive situations where you are understeering to transfer weight to front tires. Basically tap brake while other foot is on gas pedal to add traction to front tires by shifting weight. In A situation with no traction (rally) or melted garbage tires (nissan Versa), the driver can use this to advantage....carefully!

That poor versa ran 2/3 of the day, in both intermediate and open passing groups, it had 50 miles on the odo and 98% tread initially............
              Last edited by Wanganstyle; 08-04-2011, 11:50 PM.

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

English please?
                haha sorry but i dont think you wrote that the way you heard it in your head.

either way if a versa beat me around the track i think im officially quitting my tracking days
                ]

Comment

Originally posted by E30_(1st Musk)_ View Post
                  English please?
                  haha sorry but i dont think you wrote that the way you heard it in your head.

either way if a versa beat me around the track i think im officially quitting my tracking days
                  Yes it did, (nissan versa 2:29 > you in e30 2:3x) but don't feel bad.

- DONT QUIT TRACKING u will eventually get faster :)

Just think about the e92M I passed going completely sideways heading into the slalom....

Versa is 2009 product, it has 140hp and is ~ 2800 lbs. Dont feel bad it beats an e30 on the track with more experienced idiot behind the wheel. It's chassis is simply better :)

My subaru station wagon would probably put down better lap times than my e30... my e30 isn't that slow either, although its not very fast compared to more modern weapons.:)

why? 10 years newer body, more hp. lol

Tracking is all seat time, learning the pace of the track/car/you and understanding dynamics on track (traffic, passing). I'm still listening to the more experienced guys like a noob every morning @ drivers meeting after a decade of tracking :)
                  Last edited by Wanganstyle; 08-04-2011, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Wanganstyle^ is right. Without changing almost every single part on an e30 they are slow cars, but very fun to drive. How many cars can you buy that are: manual, have LSD, rear wheel drive, less than $4k, and very reliable?

Comment

okay both of you guys have a good point...

i remember someone telling me on track day that the rule of buttonwillow is that "an experienced driver in a miata can beat a non experienced driver in a porsche" or something of that nature...i was only joking, i would never stop tracking. This past sunday was only my 3rd event ever and i honestly see it as a part of the rest of my life because there nothing like it
                      ]

Comment

My e30:
                        Suspension:
                        Bilstein rear struts
                        Koni front struts
                        ST race springs
                        ST sway bars

Engine:
                        M20 on megasquirt
                        hot air intake lol

Shoes:
                        TRM C1
                        Bridgestone Potenza RE-11

Time:
                        Buttinwillow 13CCW 2:17

Comment

What kind of hp are you getting w the megasquirt? And does your car have an interior? 2:17 is around spec miata and spec e30 territory from what I've seen.
                          1985 325e, 74k miles (S52 w/ OBD1, Bistein Sports, H&R Sports, IE sways, 3.23 LSD, TD 15x7/Star Specs, Euro bumper conversion)
                          1998 M3 (4dr, 5sp, TCKline) (sold)
                          2002 325i (sold)
                          2009 X5 3.0si

Comment

I haven't been on a dyno. But the butt dyno is saying somewhere around 185-190? Just a guess. I have full interior with sub :p. I think the tires are what it was all about.
                            Originally posted by jstam View Post
                            What kind of hp are you getting w the megasquirt? And does your car have an interior? 2:17 is around spec miata and spec e30 territory from what I've seen.

Comment

I would love to see some comparison times between an e36 M3 and e30 by the same driver on the same course.

Comment

Originally posted by rcsr95 View Post
                                I haven't been on a dyno. But the butt dyno is saying somewhere around 185-190? Just a guess. I have full interior with sub :p. I think the tires are what it was all about.
                                i dont know about 180 or 190 but if tuned correctly you could have gained 20+ on either end. Nice time tho and yes i think tires are the biggest part. When i did my first track day with shitty tires it was the worst. With the starspecs it just boosted confidence
                                ]

Comment

Working...
                                X