Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
    Oh shit dude you're in San Ramon?
    I worked on Alcosta over the summer.. we should all go for a drive sometime...
    Yep, been here about 3 years & LOVE it, originally I am from the Sierras. I have seen a couple nice E30s driving around in this area, not sure if they are members here or not. Getting together for a drive would be fun, as long as my car isn't on jackstands ;)
    Mark Scroggs

1985 528e 5-spd Cosmosblau
    1988 325i/a 4D Bronzitbeige
    2013 Ford Focus ST SCCA GS #49
    2013 VW Tiguan SE 4-Motion

Past
    1989 325i 2D Zinnoberrot
    1991 318i 4D Alpinweiss
    1987 325is Alpinweiss
    1986 325es Zinnoberrot
    1989 325is Diamantschwarz

Drag racing is for fast cars....
    Autocrossing is for fast drivers!

Comment

Can't wait to see how you do in STX, especially next year. I am headed over to FP with my project. I need to be able to do more than ST class will allow, and the prepared classes are wild and crazy.
      sigpic

2011 335i/1995 Mercedes C220 (rallyx)

Comment

Honestly, for me, the biggest challenge of an E30 in STX was the steering. Slaloms are painful with the stock rack. (My red car used to be a well built STX car.)

On paper, and in reality, the 325is is going to face a very, very uphill battle. Either way, though, it'll be a damned fun car.
        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by race2win View Post
          Civics are around 2000 lbs, 105-ish WHP, 195 tires, not sure what the width is but they are narrow. Yes, they are considerably lighter, but the point is lighter-is-better, & I hope to use that as an advantage with the E30.

I won't need to run ST Civic times to win STX next year (they will no longer be able to run STX starting 2012), I figure I can still be a second slower than an ST Civic & still win STX! :D
          Civics are usually swapped with a DOHC. They usually push around ~180-190hp. They usually run 205's.

BUY MY WHEELS! BBS E50s!!
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=275407

Originally posted by Lurker27
          Any man will tell you being blown is better than being stroked.

Comment

Originally posted by 86 325e View Post
            Civics are usually swapped with a DOHC. They usually push around ~180-190hp. They usually run 205's.
            In STX you can not swap engines. That is street mod
            sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
            The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

However, I must say, do you honestly feel the ST Civics are that fast just because of the tires? Or, just maybe, it has something to do with 8+ years of National developement & collaberation, between literally hundereds of drivers & many, many National Champions??
              The only reason? No. But if there wasn't a fairly large advantage to running the 195s, you wouldn't see most (all?) of the competitive ST Civics using them over the 205s. Now, maybe that advantage has more to do with tire size than construction, but the advantage is still there.
              Ralph Zajac
              1989 DSP 325i

Any suspension -- no matter how poorly designed -- can be made to work reasonably well if you just stop it from moving.
              -- Colin Chapman

Comment

I'm new to BMWs (don't have one yet), but not new to autocross. Currently thinking of building either an e30 or e36 STX car.

Would there be any benefit to running 17x8 wheels? Thinking mostly of the Apex Arc-8. Although not as light as the 15x8. Should help with the gearing slightly. And should provide more options for tires. That's assuming you can fit something wider than a 225. Is it possible to fit a 245 on the e30?

Comment

Yes it's possible to fit 245 and 255 and 275 with work :)
                  Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Zac.Autox View Post
                    I'm new to BMWs (don't have one yet), but not new to autocross. Currently thinking of building either an e30 or e36 STX car.

Would there be any benefit to running 17x8 wheels? Thinking mostly of the Apex Arc-8. Although not as light as the 15x8. Should help with the gearing slightly. And should provide more options for tires. That's assuming you can fit something wider than a 225. Is it possible to fit a 245 on the e30?
                    I actually have plans to try some 17x8s with 235/40-17 Dunlop Star Specs. You are right, should help with gearing on longer straights, & it will give a better cold/wet condition tire option over the RS3s. However, as long as the temps are more than 60*, it's dry, & as long as the course is the typical SCCA 60 MPH +/- max, the 225 RS3s on 15X8s should be the best choice.

Update on my build...

Although I don't have anything big to report as far as parts installed, I have made some updates to the car & plan to take it out this Sunday for a local SCCA event for some fun. Most of the updates have been centered around preventive maintenance so far to establish a solid foundation.

First off, installed a S3.73 diff...

Keep in mind my car is a standard 325i coupe, which did not come with a limited slip diff. The STX rules allow any limited slip unit that retains the original final drive ratio...so I picked up a pretty tight 3.73 LSD differential from a 325is.

I picked up this unit used for $200, which seems to be about "going rate" for a decent one. However, it came out of a junk yard so who knows what kind of mileage & condition it's in. I did not check the torque of the LSD unit, but it "felt" very tight so I decided to go ahead & install it as-is.

I contemplated a few options initially...First was to completely rebuild it with 2 extra clutches for a heavy lock-up, as well as a 3-clutch set-up which would provide 40% lock. But after talking with a few E30 experts (such as Tony at Edge Motorworks in Dublin CA) we decided those options may provide too much lock up for an autocross application...especially on street tires. With as much "turning" there is, too much lock-up means constantly chasing the back of the car on-throttle...so some slip may be a good thing. The goal is to start with this used unit to establish a baseline, if too much slip is present, then we will rebuild with 2 clutches & evaluate further...

More to come, stay tuned!!
                    Mark Scroggs

Past
                    1989 325i 2D Zinnoberrot
                    1991 318i 4D Alpinweiss
                    1987 325is Alpinweiss
                    1986 325es Zinnoberrot

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                      Yes it's possible to fit 245 and 255 and 275 with work :)
                      All true, however keep in mind that in STX the rules only allow rolling of the inner fender lip...no changes to the outer contour/shape of the fender is allowed. With that in mind, anything larger than 245 isn't possible in an E30...& even 245s are very questionable. I think it may be possible, but the ride height may have to be too high to be beneficial.
                      Mark Scroggs

Past
                      1989 325i 2D Zinnoberrot
                      1991 318i 4D Alpinweiss
                      1987 325is Alpinweiss
                      1986 325es Zinnoberrot

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                        Honestly, for me, the biggest challenge of an E30 in STX was the steering. Slaloms are painful with the stock rack. (My red car used to be a well built STX car.).
                        So I assume your not allowed to swap to a newer rack? bummer cuz the z3 rack is baaad
                        Last edited by wannaBMthree; 11-11-2011, 02:38 PM.

Comment

I'll subscribe. Good luck on your quest!
                          S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
                          What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
                          Originally posted by slammin.e28
                          I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

Comment

Good luck, let us know how it goes! I went with a 4clutch diff build for my autocross car, works great with dot R tires ;) I do still have the stock rack, it blows.

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

All true, however keep in mind that in STX the rules only allow rolling of the inner fender lip...no changes to the outer contour/shape of the fender is allowed. With that in mind, anything larger than 245 isn't possible in an E30...& even 245s are very questionable. I think it may be possible, but the ride height may have to be too high to be beneficial.
                              275's

Comment

Can't wait for that ^ SM here we go. but this is offtopic to STX discussion!

Comment

Working...
                                X